Awaken is a webcomic by Koti Saavedra. It follows Piras Dameschi, orphan and son of famous hero Major Vanyo Dameschi. He wants to be a Knight of the Empire of Nova, but a fateful meeting leads him in the opposite direction, with him learning that much of what he thought he knew was a lie...
Updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Not to be confused with The Awakened.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Adorably Precocious Child: Cian is only twelve, but is one of the most mature and collected people on the cast, not to mention a good chess player and baker of cookies.
- Adorkable: Cian. Also, Piras to some extent.
- Amicable Exes: Piras has an ex-girlfriend named Cassandra who he doesn't have much interaction with, but is still on enough friendly terms with her to sit next to her during an assembly and comfortably fall asleep on her shoulder.
- Animesque: The comic intentionally invokes Shōnen tropes.
- Author Appeal: There's a reason why Piras and Faen have a lot of Ho Yay. And why the subtext is basically thrown out the window in the intermissions.
- Color-Coded Wizardry: Nyl, Cian and Piras each have a different hue of 'Flux', indicating one or more abilities.
- Companion Cube: Piras' motor scooter, Vicky (or at least, one in a long line, see Drives Like Crazy.) In fact, when the author put out a poll to see who Piras would kiss for New Year's, Vicky narrowly lost to Faen, but the author drew it anyway.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Piras' parents died when he was only a kid.
- Cool Airship: The Athena, which soars in and saves the crew in the desert.
- Cool, Clear Water: After a trip through a desert, Piras just jumps right into a pond. Then he finds out that horses poop in there. Nyl points out how contaminated he is now.
- Cool Sword: Originally in the form of a dagger that the protagonist can transform into a sword.
- Drives Like Crazy: Piras only recently got his license, and has already managed to total several motor scooters.
- The Empire: The Empire of Nova looks like it will be this, according to Nyl. They are benevolent on the surface and their citizens seem to trust them, but it is implied that they killed Piras' father to hide a secret and the Blue Pest that they always warn about is actually Flux and they used the plague as an excuse to round people up.
- Fake Memories: Nyl can implant these and does so to Camille and Piras' other classmates after an aberration attack.
- Mr. Fanservice: Piras, being a lean but muscular Long-Haired Pretty Boy. Downplayed in the comic itself, but the artist clearly considers him to be this as much as the readers do, as she's drawn him shirtless, in his underwear, in revealing outfits and completely nude several times in bonus art.
- Fiery Redhead: It's pretty safe to say that Piras is loud, strong and passionate. And also has red hair.
- Luminescent Blush: Seems that every character has one every three pages:
- Camille when Piras kisses her on the cheek onstage during an assembly.
- Nyl when Piras asks if she knew his father personally.
- Not Blood Related: Camille's family took in Piras after his dad died and they were raised together. However, they are not related.
- Oh, Crap!: Piras when Nyl claims she's his new girlfriend...to his actual girlfriend Camille. Whoops.
- Our Mages Are Different: Magic is called Flux and can be awakened. Each user has a different type and each type can do a different thing.
- Our Monsters Are Different: They are called aberrations.
- Parental Substitute: Nyl basically acts as a surrogate mother for Cian. She goes as far as quickly pulling him away when Piras starts making some Freudian jokes as well as reprimands him for swearing.
- Psychic Powers: Nyl can use these to alter people's memories.
- Recurring Dreams: Piras keeps having nightmares about himself as his father. In fact, the intermission shows that this is part of the reason he is constantly over sleeping.
- Red Is Heroic: Piras is a Fiery Redhead and is pretty darn heroic.
- The Resistance: It is implied that Nyl and Cian are part of a group resisting the government.
- Shout-Out: One chapter has cameos from La Cabri and Wilde Life.
- Tsundere: Camille. To be fair, Piras does not make it easy for her to be patient with him.
- Unfamiliar Ceiling: After Piras passes out (again) the reader gets a first person perspective of a med-bay ceiling coming into focus for him before it hops to normal perspective and he starts to ask where he is, at which point he is quickly reminded of his situation by the others.
- The Wall Around the World: Nova is encircled by walls and teaches its citizens that the world beyond the walls was destroyed but they're not telling the truth.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Cian has cyan hair, Camille has pink hair, and Nyl has purple hair.