" Why do you want to join the Hammerseek questing party?"
Ananthalos provides examples of the following tropes:
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: During his job interview, Anathalos' shirt rides up, exposing his high-cut panties.
- Disappointing Older Sibling: Anathalos' sister owns their family hotel. She is less than supportive when she finds out about her brother's cross-dressing.
- Dreadful Musician: Anathalos drives Gruvalg up the wall with his painful rendition of Blur's Girls & Boys.
- Functional Magic: Ananthalos makes a point of describing the practical applications of his magic.
- Hunk: Square-jawed, shaven-headed and muscular, Gruvalg the orc is definitely the hunk.
- Pretty Boy: Anathalos. Thanks to his pretty features and goth haircut, he'd have an androgynous appeal even if he wasn't into wearing women's clothing.
- Rated M for Manly: Gruvalg embodies this. His physical presence and gruff speech patterns mark him as the masculine foil to Anathalos.
- The Chosen One: Averted. Ananthalos is selected for the quest through a job interview.
- The Quest: The whole purpose of the comic. Ananthalos, Gruvalg and their company are seeking a fabled hammer.
- Our Orcs Are Different: Gruvalg is intelligent and rational as opposed to the barely-articulate orc archetype still found in a lot of fantasy stories. With his green coloring and bald head, he also appears more like an ogre. The comic's creator acknowledges that Shrek was an inspiration for Gruvalg's character design.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Anathalos and Gruvalg.