A.P.O.C is an ongoing supernatural webcomic by Hannah Spikings. It originally debuted on November 5th, 2017.
The year is 2045. The United Kingdom is a mess and its capital a shadow of its former self. Within the winding streets of London are four young adults with the powers of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, trying to live their lives in relative peace after escaping from a secret lab some years ago. Some have managed to find a sense of equilibrium. Others, however...
Clara harbors the Horseman of Death. It would be fine, if she could understand the things it whispers to her from the shadows. It would be fine if she wasn't being forced to work for the bad guys either who treat her like dirt. And it would be fine if she could rediscover her elusive past, the first 12 years of her life being completely lost to her.
But it's okay. It's not the end of the world.
Updates every Wednesday. First page can be found here.
A.P.O.C contains examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero: Clara can't remember the first twelve years of her life, but she's picked up some odds and ends from the most recent seven, rendering her slightly less clueless, but no less naive.
- Asshole Victim: Brett doesn't last long - Brett doesn't deserve to last long.
- Black Eyes of Evil: This is what marks Clara as the host of Death.
- Black Speech: Death tries to converse with Clara, with little to no success. Clara tries to understand, but it's all just lost in translation. Readers, however, might have more luck with ten minutes and a pen and paper.
- Compelling Voice: This is the power granted by the Horseman of Conquest. It allows Annabelle to issue commands to anyone nearby, and they have no choice to obey despite any objections they might have.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Not that Clara expected sunshine and rainbows, but Robert has alluded to being traumatized by her existence at least once.
- Demonic Possession: Clara, Robert, and Annabelle all have their own Horseman of the Apocalypse inside them. How much they are particularly possessed by them depends on the character, the Horseman, and the circumstances.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Nathaniel's entire existence summed up into one physical trait. His father also has them, but maybe for different reasons.
- From Bad to Worse: Clara is terrible at reconnaissance, gets hung up on it, makes a scene, suffers withdrawal symptoms then captures the wrong guy... all in one day.
- Healing Factor: Clara harnesses the Horseman of Death, and regardless of how painful it may be, she never really dies. She has other more important things to be doing.
- Invisible to Normals: The entities of the Horsemen are invisible to everyone but the host. Some of the effects the Horsemen have on the hosts or their surroundings are not so invisible, though.
- Knowledge Broker: Anabelle knows almost everything, for a price. Sometimes she'll divulge information if she's feeling charitable, but that's a rare enough occurrence.
- Dr Jennings is never happy with Clara. It drives her up the wall.
- Brett was probably hired to be a jerkass more than a trainer.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: The protagonists potentially have the power to destroy the world. Instead they have therapy sessions with their demonic counterparts. But not all of them.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Malum, the head of the Oculi, with his creepy grin and willingness to let the Horsemen of the Apocalypse run free for years, just to gather more data on them. His subordinates are less so but stuck following his orders.
- Playing with Fire: Robert's head literally sprouts fire when his fury gets a bit much. Allegedly he can control it.
- Quest for Identity: It's the only thing Clara cares about. For now.
- Sadly Mythtaken: A Discussed Trope regarding the Horseman of Conquest (which is true in-universe) versus the much more modern (and incorrect) take of the Horseman of Pestilence. Being host to the former, Annabelle is quite adamant about the subject.
- Side Effects Include...: Clara must take pills to calm down her Horseman Death. It makes her very groggy and pliable, and the withdrawal symptoms aren't great either.
- Sinister Scythe: Clara's main weapon. Also it can compact!
- The Government: Also known as Unity. Like Brexit on nightmare fuel in 25 years' time.
- When It All Began: The prologue begins with the kids breaking out of the secret lab, and Dr. Malum deciding to see whether the kids will destroy the world without any guidance. Their time in the lab continues to be referenced via flashbacks later, expanding on what happened there.