Those horns look familiar.Walking the Planes
is a web video series created by Nathan Holt and Shawn Kornhauser. The series follows professional Magic: The Gathering
tournaments around the world and makes a comedic documentary-style video. The two shot a video at Pro Tour Philadelphia in 2011 before successfully getting a Kickstarter
to make another video at that year's World Championships. Since then, Wizards of the Coast
have commissioned them to make at least one video for (and between) each Pro Tour.
The series can be found here on YouTube:
Walking the Planes contains examples of:
- Animate Dead: "The Wizard" is a necromancer.
Would it be okay if I killed you, and then brought you back to life?
- Bald of Awesome: Excerpts with Jon Finkel and David Ochoa show this.
- Bilingual Dialogue: In addition to English, several other languages are spoken, depending on who is being interviewed and where they are in the world.
- Born Lucky: Documented and often played for laughs.
- Collectible Card Game: Well duh!
- Complacent Gaming Syndrome: As is natural of Magic tournaments, the series usually comments on metagame choices for Constructed tournaments. The Grand Prix Columbus episode had a discussion theme dedicated to 'The Meta'.
- Confused Bystander Interview: Sometimes, and a running gag on the part of David Ochoa.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite wearing all-black robes and being a necromancer, The Wizard opposes Liliana, Griselbrand and Mark Rosewater.
- Fourth Wall Greeting: Used in several intros, including one that's a Shout-Out to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
- Large Ham: Nathan, when introducing the video.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Mentioned in "Civilised".
Owen Turtenwald: The guy goes "Hey, don't you hate it when people say 'good luck' when deep down you just want them to mull to five, get mana screwed, and just win?" [...] And then he opens up his hand and mulligans, and then his next hand and mulligans, and I'm like "Dude that's karma, you were asking for it."
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep: The Wizard plays this straight, as do other characters played by Nathan.
- Shout-Out: Often.
- Teleportation Misfire:
- The Wizard flubs his planeswalking abilities early in the series.
- When trying to planeswalk to the site of the World Magic cup he ends up interrupting a street chess game and a swimming pool.
- Trash Talk: Almost consistent with interviews with players and teams. Most of it is sportsmanlike.
- TV Telephone Etiquette: Gerry Thompson on the phone to Nathan, both skip the formalities.