Vegan Black Metal Chef is an online cooking show created in 2011 by Brian Manowitz. According to Manowitz, the show was created for two main reasons, the first being "to answer the question 'What do vegans eat?'/show vegan cooking in the most informative and fun way possible while making some great music to go along with it", and the second being "to help people bring consciousness to their lives and actions".
At least, that's what he says. In reality, it's much more insane (yet nonetheless awesome). The entire cooking show is shot in a dimly lit, dungeon-like kitchen with skulls and pentagrams in random locations. Various serrated knives (and sometimes other weapons) are used to prepare the food. All the while, black metal (composed and performed by Brian Manowitz himself) plays in the background, with the lyrics being the steps to the recipes spoken in a harsh, gravelly voice.
The first video of the series, "Pad Thai" was uploaded to YouTube on May 9, 2011, and gained over 2 and a half million views. Other videos followed, and while they weren't as popular as the first, the Vegan Black Metal Chef channel slowly gained a loyal following. The channel seems to be dormant for now, but with luck, another video may be uploaded soon.
You can check out the official website at www.veganblackmetalchef.com, as well as the YouTube channel here .
LIST THE TROPES!
- Black Metal: The background music genre of choice. The exact type may vary, but what other genre would be expected from a series entitled "Vegan Black Metal Chef"?
- Chewing the Scenery: Every single episode.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's a show about a Black Metal buff cooking vegan recipes. What more could you expect?
- Harsh Vocals: Used to direct the viewer through the various recipes, in lieu of standard narration.
- Hurricane of Puns: In Episode 4 "Hail Seitan!!", whenever using Seitan note , he usually makes a pun comparing it to the Dark Lord himself.
- Improvised Weapon: Inverted. Many times, instead of using traditional kitchen implements to prepare the food, he will use things like maces or axes.
- Knife Nut: A normal kitchen knife will almost never be seen in the show. Instead, it will be an abnormally overly-serrated knife that wouldn't be out of place in the hands of a serial killer.
- Motor Mouth: In Episode 3 "Tempura Asparagus Sushi", there will be a rapidly-delivered explanation on the correct type of rice to use for the sushi.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: The title at the beginning of every episode, as well as descriptions of what the next section of the video will cover.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Inverted in the most badass way possible.
- Running Gag: Whenever Seitan is required in a recipe, it will almost always be spoken to as if it were the actual Satan.
- Title Scream: The beginning of every episode. Overlaps with Punctuated! For! Emphasis!.