While there are a few Abridged Series of CLAMP's Tsubasa -RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE- out there, two are particularly notable. Emerging at around the same time, they take very different (but equally entertaining) approaches to the series.
This show provides examples of:
- Berserk Button: Nobody insults Lucky Star
- Black Comedy Rape: In episode 10 Fay rapes the Angelic Layer rference.
- Hypocritical Humor: Sakura's first appearance
- Leitmotif: Kurogane and Syaoran's theme songs appear to be the source of their fighting abilities
- Small Reference Pools: Averted and Lampshaded when Syaoran becomes convinced that Dr. Kyle is the Valeyard, no-one has a clue what he's talking about.
- Shout-Out: Lots of them, the series also claims to be "The first abridged series to include a Doctor Who reference"!
- Spell My Name with an "S": Fay points this out in the trailer closely followed by various spellings scrolling up the screen (including Flip, F*ck and Flippin Eck!)
- Talking to Himself: To be expected in an abridged series. ChibiTotalObelisk does nearly all the voice in the series while his brother has made a few appearances so far as
KiishimuLady Constance De Covelete (and her evil servant) and one of the Overfiend's obesse sons.
** JuliaZeeGreat's SeriesAs a CLAMP-ophile, Julia tends to make more references to other CLAMP series and push the CLAMP related tropes further than other Tsubasa Abridged Series. Unlike ChibiTotalObelisk, she turns the Ho Yay Up to Eleven.
This show provides examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: From ×××HOLiC: The Abridged Movie;Yuuko: There are mysterious things in the universe, and among the most mysterious are the creeps who like to look at me naked. Stop looking you perverts!
- Bachelor Auction: Chun Hyang forces Fay and Kurogane into one of these.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: "You're too ugly to be a good guy."
- Born Lucky: Sakura is told that she is "CLAMP's favorite daughter", therefore making her this. She ends up wondering what Kamui did to piss CLAMP off so badly.
- Camp Gay: FaySakura: Mr. Fay made it! He's good at stuff like cooking... sewing... interior decorating...
- Character Exaggeration: A few of these. Fay is by far the most blatant with his constant sexual advances towards Kurogane and compulsive lying.
- Chirping Crickets
- Comedic Sociopathy: Tomoyo is prone to this, in both her original world and Piffle.
- Compensating for Something: Yuuko accuses Kurogane of this.
- Crossdressing Voices: It's pretty obvious that all of the characters are voiced by a woman, even the male ones. This was averted recently when Nokoru Imonoyama was introduced.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: "It feels like every brain cell in my head is turning on the one next to it and they're all setting each other on fire."
- Darker and Edgier: Damn you, teenage angst!
- A Day in the Limelight: How unexpected, an entire episode devoted to someone other than Syaoran.
- Deadpan Snarker: Fay does this sometimes.
- Depraved Homosexual: Fai and Seishiro.
- Ephebophile: Seishiro. His love of teenage boys causes the world to become unstable in episode 21.
- Fanservice: Touya and Yukito are brought back just to provide fangirl fodder. Touya's not very happy about it.Touya: Call me Touya, bitch.
- Filler: "Never underestimate the power of stretching out the plot"
- God-Created Canon Foreigner: Shogo denies being this.Sakura: Oh, for the love of God! You were not in the X1999 manga! They only wrote you into the movie because they hadn't come up with Kakyo yet. That's it, I'm jumping. I'd rather kill myself than listen to more of you talk!
- Goddesses of Evil: In Miyuki-chan in Wonderland Abridged it's revealed that CLAMP themselves are this. They are also implied to be an Eldritch Abomination.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Kurogane in episode 3Syoran: Hi, Mr. Kurogane, sir.
Kurogane: I was not looking at him like that!
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: Ryuu-oh's mic is broken, so he has to use the text chat. This results in a lot of L33t L1ng0. "l33t txt skillz, n00bs! lol!"
- It continues in season 2, where he presumably has the ability to talk; he's just really creeped out by Syaoran.
- Hotter and Sexier: Damn you, teenage hormones!
- Ho Yay: Invoked and parodied. Constantly.
- Idiot Ball: Pretty much everyone in Jade Country
- Imagine Spot: Fai's wish.Kurogane: I am completely and irrevocably in love with you! Allow me to offer you my virginity. And this t-bone steak. And this trophy.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Yuuko thinks this in the second episode when dealing with the gang
- Jerkass: Mokona
- L33t L1ng0: Ryuu-oh
- Medium Awareness: Fai.
- Metaphorgotten: "Maybe we should keep him on a leash. With a spiked collar. And leather straps. And by we, I mean I."
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: Dr. Kyle
- Mr. Exposition: Fay, since he's the only one who has read the manga.
- Although Kurogane has been trying to catch up to speed.
- Touya also gets to do this in episode 13: "Well, exposition exposition exposition, further exposition, flashback, flashback..."
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Chun Hyang tries this on Sakura.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations:Kurogane: I did not sign up to be used as slave labour.Fay: You know, they've left us all alone together in this houseKurogane: Making us do all the work...Fay: Nobody around for miles...Korogane: Those brats and the bunny should be helping us do thisFay: Who knows what sort of dirty things could happen between two consenting adultsKurogane: Are we talking about the same thing?
- Pokémon Speak:
- Also, darn near everyone in "Miyuki Chan in Wonderland Abridged", who spend most of their time saying the word "boobs" over and over.
- Psycho Lesbian: Tomoyo. Lampshaded by Sakura:Sakura: Must protect virginity from crazy lesbian!
- Everyone in "Miyuki-chan in Wonderland Abridged" too, except maybe Miyuki herself (but then, they were this in the source material too).
- Southern Belle: Souma has the accent, at least.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Syaoran tells Sakura that she can't be in the fight because fighting is a man's job.Syaoran: Now go make me a sammich, woman!Sakura: Well, screw you too.
- Unusual Euphemism:Fai: We should celebrate this later. Alone. In my bedroom. And by celebrate, I mean haveKurogane: Why don't you go celebrate yourself?
Touya: Stay out of my room Sakura. Yukito and I are gonna go...study. Yeah, that sounds good.(slams door shut, and romantic music plays in the background)Touya: Oh Yukito, your brain is so big!Sakura: (After flashback) Oh my God...THEY WEREN'T STUDYING AT ALL, WERE THEY!?
- Another example from a flashback Sakura was having:
- Yaoi Fangirl: Sakura, if this dialogue is anything to go by.Sakura: Oh, wow. I'm going to go take a cold shower. Or three.
- Yaoi Guys / Token Yuri Girls: Both are lampshaded and mocked. Both terms are referred to as "CLAMP friends".
- Yuri Fan: Nokoro and Fai both sound a little too enthusiastic to hear Tomoyo talking about taking off Sakura's clothes and having a pillow fight with her. In Nokoro's case this might overlap with Girl-on-Girl Is Hot.