The Most Stupid Deaths in Super Mario 64, known as More Stupid Deaths in Super Mario 64 (from the second episode onwards), Stupid Deaths in Super Mario 64, or simply Stupid Deaths is a series of web videos by YouTube user Fleskhjerta begun in 2006. The videos show a player (most likely Fleskhjerta himself) playing Super Mario 64 on an emulator, and dying is stupid ways. The footage is overlayed by text, which is Mario's (and sometimes other characters') speech. Until YouTube removed annotations, the first couple episodes were also accompanied by snarky comments from future Fleskhjerta looking back (with only marginally more maturity and better grammar). The videos derive humour from the conversations Mario has with himself and others. You can watch the first episode here.
The Most Stupid Deaths in Super Mario 64 contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream:
- When Mario is turned into a goomba, and then a ghost. Mario wakes up afterwards.
- Sometimes, Mario has dreams of spaghetti. When he realises these are dreams, he is sad.
- Later, the SM64 ending screen comes up, and Mario thinks the game is over. Then he wakes up on top of the castle.
- Artifact Title:
- Later episodes stop killing Mario so much, instead focusing on his conversations with himself.
- Other later episodes start to have Mario go over to other video games (Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, etc.)
- Art Evolution: Starting in 'Even More Stupid Deaths', Fleskhjerta uses hacking to start recolouring things, including Mario.
- ASCII Art: After Mario transforms the bracket guy, an ASCII picture of him ( Kirby) appears beside his text.
- Baleful Polymorph:
- At the end of episode 1, Mario transforms the brackets guy into a Kirby lookalike.
- When Mario is turned into a Goomba, and then a ghost.
- When Clone 4 uses the Cursed Key of Peachium, he turnes into a Peach clone.
- Bookends: The first episode ends with Mario getting a game over. He talks for a bit, then continues playing, much to the horror of the annotations.
- Brick Joke: In the 10000 view celebration, Clone 4 says, in relation to their fight on Hyrule Castle, that if Link notices anything, they'll just leave a note blaming Clone 2. In the 20000 view celebration episode, Link finds Clone 2 and fights him.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The Brackets guy doesn't appear past the Xmas Special.
- Most of the English is quite bad. Even the annotations, which mock the original text.
- In fact, the title itself is even unidiomatic. "Stupid"'s superlative is "stupidest", not "most stupid".
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Look at the title of the series (though later episodes focus more on the conversations).
- Excuse Plot: Mostly, the series. No explanation is given for why Mario is doing most of the things he does (except that, of course, he's getting paid $100 per death, at least in the first episode), but the story continues anyway.
- Flashback: In 'Even More Stupid Deaths', Mario has a flashback to the first time he went on the 'slider'.
- Foreshadowing: The bracket guy's first line is "&my name is not known for now".
- Clone 2, in the 10000 view celebration, is framed for messing up Hyrule Castle. Though, he may be partially guilty for it, seeing as Mario and the three clones had a battle on it.
- In the 20000 view celebration, Link finds and attacks Clone 2 for this
- "L" Is for "Dyslexia": Clone 4 reads a sign completely wrong in the second part of the Clone's Story. In relation to the oven in Rainbow Ride, he reads "Go inside and become the Most Evil Lord in the World" when it actually says "Go inside to become to most weakest and ugliest creature in the world. Needless to say, it doesn't end well for him. It is possible, however that he Never Learned to Read.
- Meaningful Name: The Cursed Key of Peachium does what, you ask? It turns the owner into a Peach clone.
- Me's a Crowd: In the episode(s) where Mario ( and Luigi, later) makes clones, there is a literal crowd of Marios. They don't do much, though.
- The Reveal:
- Mario finds out he's made a deal to get $100 per death.
- We find out the bracket guy's name is Gary Kevinson.
- Running Gag: It's filled with them:
- Mario dying again and again.
- In the earlier episodes, the bracket guy.
- Mario complaining about the music man putting on the death sound effect every time he dies.
- Mario on the Princess's secret slide.Mario: This time I'm gonna luck the slider!
- Mario being turned into a goomba, and later other things.
- Mario falling on the spike on top of Peach's Castle.
- Mario accusing Mips (the rabbit) of taking the cake.
- The fact that the camera always breaks when Mario uses the kung-fu technique
- Subverted Trope: I Can't Feel My Legs (see above).
- Mario: I Can't Feel my Legs!
Ooh, wait! There they are!
- Then doubly subverted later in the same episode:Mario: I CAN't [sic] FEEL MY BUTT
Ooh wait, there it is!
No Wait, that was my Brain!