A Video Review Show hosted by Norman Caruso, born from his love of history and video games. While most video gamer reviewers deal with games or consoles, the Gaming Historian also covers lawsuits, character biographies, personal biographies on people involved in the making of video games, video game related books, and even a movie on video games.
The Gaming Historian provides examples of:
- April Fools' Day: In 2010 he switched shows with the The Happy Video Game Nerd, another Retroware personality. Norman did a normal game review of Ristar, while Derek talked about Shenmue's history. For 2016 and 2017, he made Normotagari, a parody of reviewers like JonTron and PeanutButterGamer.
- Edutainment Show: Norman does long-form documentaries about the history of video games.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: He's a historian who loves video games and covers the history of video games.
- Running Gag: Has a couple that turn up in his live streams. Such as playing inspirational music when having difficulties getting through a level (usually a song that pertains to the level), or making a character look like they're "twerking".
- Signing-Off Catchphrase: "That's all for this episode of The Gaming Historian. Thanks for watching!"
- Shown Their Work: As expected, the man does have a degree in history, and he has been a high school history teacher in the past. The intro to his episode about the Game Boy even shows him walking from his classroom.
- Video Review Show: Video games, and just about everything related to them.
- Viewers Like You: Later episodes end with a female announcer stating that this show "Is made possible through our Patreon supporters. Thank you." after Norman says his aforementioned Signing off Catch-phrase above.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: "The Story of Tetris" episode ends with short blurbs documenting what happened to everyone involved in the creation, licensing, and marketing of the game. The same goes with "The Story of Punch-Out!!", complete with final career records for Mike Tyson and Larry Holmes.