The Far Cry Experience, alternatively known as The Vaas Montenegro Experience, is a web series Prequel to Far Cry 3, starring actor Christopher Mintz-Plasse As Himself, filming a survival show on the incredibly dangerous Rook Islands as a means to promote the In-Universe version of Far Cry 3.
Tropes applying to this series include:
- Adam Westing: Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays himself, as a huge Jerkass with an equally huge ego.
- Affably Evil: As expected of Vaas. When you're not pissing him off, he's actually a pretty jovial guy, and genuinely tries to bond with Chris when he captures him, even if this could just be him biding his time as he's holding Chris for ransom and plans to sell him into slavery.
- Celebrity Paradox: Chris is filming a survival show to promote Far Cry 3. Perhaps the game is much different plot-wise In-Universe?
- Downer Ending: Chris and his friends die, and now Vaas is coming for some poor souls landing on the island..
- Early-Bird Cameo: In the ending, Vaas gets a call about some fresh meat on their way to the island. As we know from Far Cry 3, this is Jason Brody and his loved ones.
- Expy: Chris' clothes are very similar to Jason Brody's.
- A Father to His Men: Vaas clearly cares for his gang of pirates, and gets pissed when Chris shoots at them.
- Foil: Chris is one for Jason Brody.
- Chris starts off as a total Jerkass, while Jason starts off as a Nice Guy.
- Chris and Jason both have absolutely no combat experience and are clearly out of their element on the unforgiving Rook Islands, but while Jason eventually adapts and becomes a competent warrior, Chris very barely becomes able to defend himself, and gets captured rather easily (and embarassingly).
- Something noteworthy about this contrast is that Chris is an accomplished actor, even if he's not exactly A-list. Jason is just some no-name rich kid from LA, and yet he later becomes The Chosen One.
- Chris unfortunately dies and fails to save his friends. Jason can die if he chooses to join Citra and kill his friends, something Chris wouldn't even dream of doing.
- Foregone Conclusion: You can find Chris' head still buried in the sand in Far Cry 3 proper.
- The Hero Dies: Chris, as well as all of his friends, are killed on the island.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Chris may be an asshole, but he does everything he can to save his friends.
- Reality Ensues: One could say that the way Chris "adapts" to the island compared to Jason Brody is a more realistic look at how some random, normal guy from America would fare on an island full of ruthless pirates. Instead of becoming a badass in a very short span of time, he kills one guy when his back is turned, is a horrible shot, and gets captured in almost no time at all.
- Shout Out: Vaas, being Wicked Cultured, makes many references to film.
- Villain Override: Vaas takes the reigns as host of the show after he captures Chris.