The Emma Agenda is a web series adaptation of Emma by Jane Austen, created by Quip Modest Productions. It takes the form of a mixture of vlog-style episodes and more traditionally shot non-vlog episodes.
As it's based on a novel that's been in the public domain for over a century, any plot points taken from the book will be left un-spoilered.
The Emma Agenda contains examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: In addition to the gender-flipped characters, Frank Churchill becomes Lincoln Churchill, Anne Weston becomes Taylor (after her novel counterpart's maiden name), and Augusta Hawkins becomes April Hawkins.
- Amicable Exes: Emma and Jon dated in high school, and are still on pretty good terms.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Phil, who only acted nice because he wanted Emma to like him, and as soon as she rejects him turns into a straight-up jerkass.
- Coming-Out Story: Emma realizes that she's a lesbian near the end, and comes out to Jon in "Second Chances," her audience in "Let's Talk About Girls," and finally Jordan in "Talking."
- Childhood Friend Romance: Emma and Jordan.
- Gender Flip: George Knightley becomes Jordan Knightley and Jane Fairfax becomes Jon Fairfax.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: It takes Harriet admitting to having a crush on Jordan for Emma to realize how she feels.Emma: So, Harriet told me she had a bit of a crush on you, and I was like, "That is ridiculous. That is not gonna work. Jordan Knightley can't date anybody... but me."
- Green-Eyed Monster: Emma becomes obviously jealous any time Jordan interacts in a way that could be interpreted as romantically with another girl.
- Hopeless Suitor: Phil for Emma.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: In the middle of Emma giving him a tour of the city, Lincoln suddenly says he needs to go get a haircut. This is implied to be because he wanted to go buy Jon a guitar.
- The Matchmaker: What Emma styles herself as, though she's not anywhere near as talented at it as she thinks.
- Named by the Adaptation: Miss Bates is given the name Hedy.
- Oblivious to Love: Emma doesn't notice that Phil likes her and thinks he likes Harriet, and never realized that Jordan has been in love with her for years.
- Pair the Spares: Hedy and April get together near the end.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Jordan has been in love with Emma for years at this point.
- Relationship Sabotage: Emma doesn't approve of Robby, and does her best to keep him and Harriet apart for most of the series.
- Romantic False Lead: Lincoln is one for Emma.
- Secret Relationship: Jon and Lincoln are in one, because Jon isn't ready to come out yet.
- Setting Update: The series reimagines the characters as modern-day college students.
- Shipper on Deck: Emma is one for Harriet and Phil, despite mounting evidence that Phil is interested in her instead. Jordan, on the other hand, thinks Harriet and Robby would be better together.
- Transgender: Lincoln is a trans man.
- Vlog Series: Half of the show takes the form of Emma's vlogs.