Team Thor is a series of non-canon Marvel Cinematic Universe Mockumentary shorts, written and directed by Taika Waititi and starring Chris Hemsworth as Thor Odinson, Daley Pearson as Darryl Jacobson, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster. They were initiated during the production of Thor: Ragnarok and meant to humorously answer the question "What was Thor up to when the Avengers were torn apart in Captain America: Civil War?"
Part 1: Following saving the Earth again in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor has decided that he needs some "me time", and moves in with his new roommate Darryl in Australia. While he is spending his time either entertaining kindergartners or investigating in the Infinity Stones, he finds out that Captain America and Iron Man seem to have some sort of disagreement. Available on the Captain America: Civil War digital copy.
In Part 2, Thor continues to make Darryl's life hard. He refuses to help in the household and refuses to get a job to pay for his rent because he thinks, as a prince of Asgard and Avenger, it's beneath him. Available on the Doctor Strange digital copy and Blu-ray.
Team Darryl is set after Thor: Ragnarok and features Darryl getting a new roommate: the Grandmaster. Following Topaz's presumed death, the former ruler of Sakaar needs a new assistant and recruits Darryl. While the Grandmaster sets his mind on taking over earth, Darryl soon becomes tired of the alien's eccentric behavior and starts to miss his old roommate. Available on the Thor: Ragnarok digital copy and Blu-ray.
All the shorts can be watched here.
Team Thor provides examples of:
- Adaptational Jerkass: Thor's often brash and insensitive, but he's an outright dick to Darryl, refusing to pay rent or clean, and leave Mjölnir on the toilet so that Darryl can't even use it.
- Ascended Meme: The Mjölnir on the toilet thing appears to be straight out the meme where Spider-Man attempts to go the bathroom but finds its lid held down by it◊.
- Dirty Old Man: The Grandmaster spies on Darryl as he's taking a shower and draws him naked. Later, after he practices a phone call with Darryl about telling David's mother of her son's death, he starts to flirt with "Mrs. Richardson".
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Grandmaster melts one of Darryl's friends with his melt stick because he doesn't know what a "zimbledorf" is.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Thor always goes barefoot when unwinding at Darryl's house, even after he gets flip-flop slippers.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first short remains the only one of the three never to receive a Blu-ray release.
- Fanservice: Thor wears outfits that show off his muscles and feet.
- Fictional Currency: According to Thor, his Asgardian coins are worth "gazillion" human dollars. It doesn't cut it for Darryl.
- I'm Melting!: The Grandmaster melts David, a friend of Darryl, with his Melt Stick because he played the wrong note in the Grandmaster's band.
- Insane Troll Logic: Thor considers himself a genius because brains are muscles and he's bulked up with muscles so thus he is covered in brains.
- Join or Die: In his video, the Grandmaster says he'll melt everyone who tries to resist him.
- Lazy Bum: Thor doesn't care about getting a job on Earth outside of his Avengers duties and rather thinks about getting a servant.
- Logo Joke: Team Darryl begins with a fake logo for "The New Zealand Documentary Board", which previously opened Waititi's What We Do in the Shadows.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Thor has no clue what is going on between Stark and Rogers because he has no phone anyone could contact him with. More so, when Banner offers Stark to let him talk to Thor over Banner's phone, Stark refuses. Thor isn't happy about that even though he claims to not care.
- Mood-Swinger: The Grandmaster is prone to that.Darryl: He is very charming and persuasive, but sometimes he completely loses his temper.
- Mythology Gag: The tiny Thor that the drawing of Mjölnir is holding is dressed in his classic comic outfit.
- Noodle Incident: In the e-mail that Thor writes to Steve Rogers (or rather dictates for Darryl to write), Thor recalls a time when he apparently made Steve kill some prisoners and they both swore to keep it a secret, asking him if he has any more secrets for Thor to keep.
- The Peeping Tom: The Grandmaster watches Darryl shower and sleep, and also draws him during that.
- Self-Parody: A series of shorts starring and made by the people who were making Thor: Ragnarok at the time that wouldn't feel out of place as Saturday Night Live sketches.
- Shirtless Scene: In episode 2 Thor doesn't have a shirt on in a scene, for absolutely no reason.
- Shrine to Self: Across the apartment, the Grandmaster has several busts of himself.
- Shrine to the Fallen: The Grandmaster also has one dedicated to Topaz.
- Sore Loser: After losing a round of "Connect Four" to Darryl, Thor angrily smashes the game with Mjölnir.
- String Theory: Thor has a big poster with strings in his room where he collects all information he gathered about the Infinity Stones.
- Take That!: Banner all but refers to the Civil War over the Sokovia Accords as a spat he can't be bothered to care about.