Symphony of Science is a Web Original series of music videos created by John Boswell ("melodysheep"). Most of the videos consist of autotuned quotes from Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, along with quotes from other scientists who vary with each video.
Songs in the series:
- A Glorious Dawn (Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking)
- We Are All Connected (Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye)
- Our Place in the Cosmos (Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Michio Kaku and Robert Jastrow)
- The Unbroken Thread (Carl Sagan, David Attenborough and Jane Goodall)
- The Poetry of Reality (Michael Shermer, Jacob Bronowski, Carl Sagan, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Jill Tarter, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Feynman, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, Carolyn Porco, and PZ Myers)
- The Case for Mars (Carl Sagan, Robert Zubrin, Brian Cox, and Penelope Boston)
- A Wave of Reason (Carl Sagan, Bertrand Russell, Sam Harris, Michael Shermer, Lawrence Krauss, Carolyn Porco, Richard Dawkins, Richard Feynman, Phil Plait, and James Randi)
- The Big Beginning (Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Tara Shears)
- Ode to The Brain! (Carl Sagan, Robert Winston, Vilayanur Ramachandran, Jill Bolte Taylor, Bill Nye, Oliver Sacks)
- Children of Africa (Jacob Bronowski, Alice Roberts, Carolyn Porco, Jane Goodall, Robert Sapolsky, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and David Attenborough)
- The Quantum World (Morgan Freeman, Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, Brian Cox, Richard Feynman, and Frank Close)
- Onward to the Edge! (Neil deGrasse Tyson, Carolyn Porco, Brian Cox)
- The Greatest Show on Earth! (David Attenborough, Richard Dawkins, and Bill Nye)
- The World of the Dinosaurs (Alice Roberts, Bill Nye, Nigel Marvin, and Dallas Campbell)
- We Are Stardust (Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Feynman, and Lawrence Krauss)
- Our Biggest Challenge (Bill Nye, David Attenborough, Richard Alley, and Isaac Asimov)
- Secret of the Stars (Michio Kaku, Brian Cox, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Greene, and Lisa Randall)
- Monsters of the Cosmos (Neil deGrasse Tyson, Morgan Freeman, Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss)
- Waves of Light (Brian Cox)
- Beyond the Horizon (Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Emily Lakdawalla, Carl Sagan)
- Timelapse of the Entire Universe (Brian Cox, Carl Sagan, David Attenborough)
- Timelapse of the Future (David Attenborough, Craig Childs, Brian Cox, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michelle Thaller, Lawrence Krauss, Michio Kaku, Mike Rowe, Phil Plait, Janna Levin, Stephen Hawking, Sean Carroll, Alex Filippenko, and Martin Rees.)
High quality originals of all videos can be downloaded from the project's website.
Tropes used in this series
- Eldritch Abomination: "Monsters of the Cosmos" portrays black holes as this.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Timelapse of the Entire Universe".
- Flame War: The videos, being uploaded on YouTube, tend to draw the worst kinds of The Fundamentalist Troll who try to turn the videos' comment sections into 'religion vs. atheism' flame wars. They tend to be the Vocal Minority, however.
- Loads and Loads of Characters:
- The Poetry of Reality, which has more singers than the previous four songs combined. The later releases tend to have more and more different singers compared to the early ones.
- Timelapse of the Future has the most speakers of any video.
- Natural End of Time: The entire premise of Timelapse of the Future involves getting to this point.