Shaun is the YouTube channel belonging to Shaun, a leftist who specializes in debunking right-wing and reactionary talking points through a combination of heavy research and minimalist presentation style.
The channel initially began as Shaun and Jen, and featured Shaun and his friend Jen playing through various video games. During the end of 2016, real-life circumstances led to Jen stepping back from the channel, and Shaun started to release videos similar to the style for which the channel would later be known for. Eventually, the channel was renamed to Shaun.
Shaun videos are fairly bare-bones. They involve audio of Shaun reading his response to another video over a still image of his signature skull wearing sunglasses, often superimposed with videos, articles, and other images he uses to help make his point. Instead of visual gags and characters, he uses a deadpan sense of humor and thoroughly covers his topics.
The Shaun channel can be found here.
Tropes relating to Shaun:
- Breather Episode: Some of his videos deal with some very harsh topics, so he often tries to do a lighter video to make sure things don't become to bleak. For example "The Truth about 'The Truth about Wonder Woman'" came out directly after his video "Stefan Molyneux's Native American Genocide: A Response".
- Door Stopper: Most of his videos are over 20 minutes, and more recently 40 minutes has been the general benchmark. However, the strongest example of this from him is his video on The Bell Curve, which clocks in at 2 and a half hours.
- Early Installment Weirdness: As Shaun and Jen, it was largely a gaming-focused channel, then became basically the "anti-CinemaSins" for a time. Shaun began focusing on social justice and political topics, which is how most people nowadays know the channel, in late 2016.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: In his video about Paul Joseph Watson, he pretends to end the video less than a minute after it started."The ol' fake end to the video. It's a classic."
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In his video defense of The Last Jedi, he commends the film for not making Rey a relation of a known character, specifically saying her being a descendant of Emperor Palpatine would've been "rubbish." Well...
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He often points out how someone's sources are not only being misrepresented, but also contradict what they're using it for and sometimes even refute their primary thesis.
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics: One of his most common techniques is pointing out how statistics are often abused to spread mistruths.
- Non-Indicative Name: None of Shaun's videos, but in "How Prager U Lies To You," Shaun points out that the video "There is No Gender Wage Gap" admits there is a gender wage gap.
- Not Helping Your Case: In "The Great Replacement Isn't Real, ft. Lauren Southern", he points out that Southern trying to avoid being explicitly racist is rendered completely pointless by the fact her first source is an article written on a white supremacist website by a Holocaust-denying, Hitler-quoting neo-Nazi who proudly admits he's a racist.
- Super-Fun Happy Thing of Doom: "How Prager U Lies To You" tells the story of the rise of a powerful megacorp that uses its influence to increase its power at all cost. The name of this mega-corp? Flower Corp.