Sassy Gay Friend is a web video series about Brian Gallivan, who is what every single woman needs: a sassy gay friend. This series of skits are written by Gallivan and distributed by YouTube's The Second City Network. They involve a range of women from Shakespeare plays, movies, books and the Bible, who are all saved from their tragic fates by the intervention of a sassy gay friend. Just before disaster strikes, he pops out of nowhere, calls them out on their idiotic behavior, and encourages them to choose a wiser course of action. In later episodes, Brian extends his help to male characters from history, legend and literature.
The series can be viewed here.
Tropes in this series:
- Catch Phrase:
- "What, what, WHAT are you doing?!"
- "You stupid bitch!"
- Distracted by the Sexy: The Sassy Gay Friend is supposed to be helping the underdressed Eve:Sassy Gay Friend: (to Eve) Let's get you some clothes.Eve: Oh, we should get Adam some clothes, too.(cut to Adam, who is gorgeous)Sassy Gay Friend: (dreamily) Ohmigod... no, he's fine...(Eve smacks the Sassy Gay friend playfully)
- Driven to Suicide: He saves Juliet from killing herself over Romeo and Ophelia from drowning herself over Hamlet, their respective fates in their original plays.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Discussed regarding Romeo and Juliet:Sassy Gay Friend: "You met him Sunday. It's barely Thursday morning. Slow down, crazy, slow down."
- Godiva Hair: Eve has long hair that she can use to cover her nudity along with her leaves.
- Iconic Item: He's never seen without his sparkling scarf - not even in the Garden of Eden.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Talking to the ballerina Nina from Black Swan who had a sex scene with another ballerina:Nina: I did it with a girl!SGF: In a drug dream!Nina: Yeah, well, it was Mila Kunis.SGF: Aw, big deal. I'd sleep with Mila Kunis. (to the camera) Maybe. No.
- The Matchmaker: He hooks The Giving Tree up with Boo Radley.
- Noodle Incident: What happened on this shopping trip?Sassy Gay Friend: (to Henry VIII) You take everything 2 steps too far! Annulment? Fine. Beheading? Excessive! When I return a blouse I don't shoot the cashier and burn the store down!Anne Boleyn: One time you almost did...Sassy Gay Friend: WHY did they need my zipcode, Anne?!
- Once an Episode:
- "She's a stupid bitch" or "I'm a stupid bitch."
- "What are you doing? What, what, WHAT are you doing?"
- Product Placement: Lampshaded in the Great Expectations and Macbeth episodes, then became a regular feature, with the Sassy Gay Friend being paid by MiO to promote their drinks.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sassy Gay Friend calls out Nina from Black Swan on her obsession with perfection:Nina: But I finally did everything perfectly!Sassy Gay Friend: YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING PERFECTLY! Everything in your life could be improved! Number one, stop chomping people's tongues when you kiss them! Don't pick at your finger! Number two, when you're gonna diddle yourself, maybe glance around the room to make sure your MOM'S NOT THERE. P.S., your technique is amazing! DON'T PICK AT YOUR FINGER. Number three, BUY SOME NAIL CLIPPERS.Nina: I CAN'T!!!Sassy Gay Friend: THEY ARE NINETY-NINE CENTS AT CVS!
- Universal-Adaptor Cast: SGF can appear in any location, time period, and fictional work, as long as there's a famous woman there.
- Visual Pun: In the Othello video, the very definitely not closeted Sassy Gay Friend pops out of the closet.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Rather, a Vitriolic Sassy Gay Friend. Has no problem insulting, heckling and berating his friends over their idiotic behavior even as he is helping them (and in a few cases, saving their lives).
- You Need to Get Laid: He says this to Lady Macbeth. Turns out she's just sick of being a Housewife.