We're the rats
We pray at night
We stalk at night
We're the rats"
"Rat Movie: Mystery of the Mayan Treasure" is a 5 minute comedy crime thriller short film uploaded to Youtube by content creator Jeremy Harrington, also known as Jerma985, on the 6th of November 2014. It follows three thieves and their attempt to steal a treasure chest containing priceless Mayan treasure. The video was entirely created with the movie creation software "3D Movie Maker", featuring voice acting from Jerma and two of his Youtube friends, Star_ and Boo.
The video was an instant hit with Jerma's fanbase, and later regained popularity when it was featured in a livestream by Vinesauce on the 23rd of January 2018. Six months after the video's release, on the 7th of April 2015, the a sequel short film was uploaded, under the title "Rat Movie 2: The Movie", double the length of the original.
Rat Movie: Mystery of the Mayan Treasure contains examples of:
- The Ace: The Cat Police are treated as this by the more bipedal cops. Not that it would take much to look good compared to them.
- Animal Stereotypes: The rats are sneaky and devious (if not always subtle) villains, and fear only the Cat Police, who are cool-headed, competent, and possibly evil space aliens.
- Anyone Can Die: And quite a few do. Even though a majority of them return for the sequel.
- Bait-and-Switch Accusation: The competent-seeming police officer sounds about ready to bust the Giant Rat, based on the crime of... being a rat. But then he lets the rat know he's just kidding around with him. Because of course his conversation partner is not a rat.Police: Be careful though, there's apparently a giant rat around.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Several times throughout the movie, the diner owner is shown squashing flat like a pancake or extending out into the sky, no explanation forthcoming.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: Apparently, the movie took place during the Blue Thief's birthday. While this allows him to drive the car, he gets killed on the same day. The world explodes too, but he's not alive to worry about that.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Star_'s character the purple/blue thief, big time. Also the fat cop, who cannot stop talking about food and seems to have only the most tenuous grasp on the basics of his profession.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The purple thief, after watching the Giant Rat kill and eat his boss, notes that it reminds him of his favorite movie, The Movie, nonchalantly kills the Giant Rat when it tries to eat him too, and then goes back to wondering if maybe Frozen shouldn't be his favorite movie instead. Unfortunately for him, the rats have a backup king.
- Drives Like Crazy: Star_'s character. Things tend to explode around him when he drives.Blue Thief: It's my birthday!
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The Cat Police end up blowing the world up after killing the second Giant Rat.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Dick Dastardly cannot believe what he's seeing when his blue-colored cohort in crime runs over a pedestrian while trying to find the diner where the Mayan treasure is kept.Dick Dastardly: Hey, you... You just... You're running over a guy right now. Are you fucking serious?
- Excuse Plot: When it comes time to explain why the Mayan treasure is so important, the characters begin mumbling.
- Gainax Ending: The world explodes mid-congratulations and a flying saucer with a cat head mounted on top flies into frame.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The human cops absolutely buy the rats' story that they aren't.
- King Mook: The Giant Rat, who makes all of the rules.
- Klingon Promotion: The rats show a variation of this. Whenever the Giant Rat dies, another will grow to replace them.
- MacGuffin: The titular Mayan treasure.
- Mixed MetaphorDick Dastardly Richards: Ladies and gentleman of the jury, may I have the attention of the class!
- Momma's Boy: Boo's scarf-wearing character, apparently.Remind me, the next time we do this, I'm getting my nan to drive.
- Oh, Crap!: The Giant Rat completely loses his shit when the Cat Police arrive.
- Only Sane Man: Boo's character comes across as this.
- Police are Useless: The human police group fail a spot check and fall for the Giant Rat telling them that there are no rats. Averted with the Cat Police, who quickly spot a rat on one of the human policeman's back.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Boo's character decides he's had enough of it when the Rats get a hold of Garod, and exits stage left.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The Giant Rat, talking to the cops, after taking over the diner.
- Stylistic Suck: The use of 3D Movie Maker at a time when more sophisticated tools like Source Filmmaker are available is likely to this effect
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Jerma's character doesn't trust Boo's not to screw up the heist and calls out Star_'s for his bad driving, Boo's doesn't particularly like either of them, and Star_'s... is too dumb to really care about them one way or the other.
- Theme Song / Villain Song: Rats! We're rats! We're the rats... We prey at night, we stalk at night, we're the rats! I'm the giant rat that makes all of the rules! Let's see what kind of trouble we can get ourselves into...
- Threat Backfire: Dick Dastardly tells the rats "over my dead body are you getting this treasure". They promptly comply.
Rat Movie 2: The Movie provides examples of:
- Back from the Dead: None of the deaths in the last movie stick. The Earth is back to normal and Dick "Dastardly" Richard and Garod are still alive.
- Big Damn Heroes: Garod the Guardian comes in towards the end to stop the Cat Police. It doesn't stick. Both times.
- Comically Small Demand: Dick Dastardly Richards was about to sell the Noah's Ark Toothbrushes to the Cat Police, for a measly twenty dollars per brush.
- Gainax Ending: There's two. First when the Giant Rat flushes the Noah's Ark Toothbrush down the toilet after brushing his teeth with it in the film Dick Dastardly Richards and his partner were watching, and then, the revelation that the events of the film's last third might have been just a game the Giant Rat played with himself. And then he flushes the toothbrush down the toilet again.
- HeelFace Turn: For some unexplained reason, the Rats are now the heroes and Garod is on their side.
- Monster Clown: Somehow. The clown brought into Michael's birthday party causes such a chaotic fervor that he has to be knocked out, all while he merely expressed disbelief at everyone's sudden panic attack.
- Mundane Object Amazement: The powerful artifact that has the Cat Police waging all-out war on the dogs, rats and the planet itself for control of the DNA of every animal on earth is... a blue toothbrush.
- One-Winged Angel: The Cat Police merge together towards the ends of the movie to destroy the Giant Rat, becoming a giant, human skeleton.
- Puppeteer Parasite: The cats employed this on the movie executive for the past two weeks, all seemingly in a ploy to unleash their Trojan Horse when the dogs would bring the Giant Rat into their lair to reveal the Noah's Ark Toothbrush to him.
- Put on a Bus: The blue thief from the first movie is absent, which is notable mainly because Dick Dastardly Richards is well and alive again.
- Rule of Three: All three parts of the movie end with the Giant Rat flushing something down the toilet. The first one ends with him taking the Monster Clown and trying to bring him into the toilet on the way out. The second one ends with him stealing the Noah's Ark Toothbrush during the battle between the cats and dogs, brushing his teeth with it, then flushing it down the toilet. The third one ends with him taking the Noah's Ark Toothbrush on Garod's command, bringing it to Mount Doom (In reality, just the bathroom), then flushing it down the toilet again.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When the Giant Rat confronts the Cat Police, Dick and his partner both decide to high-tail it out of there before the situation escalates.
- Sequelitis: Deliberately invoked with the sequel pitch for the Rat Movie.Movie Executive: As a sequel, we're trying to do one very important thing. That's sell toys, sell books, and sell audio tapes. Now the movie itself could be about a blue toothbrush, and as long as we sell the merchandise and keep the suits happy, who cares about the subject matter?Giant Rat: But, I'd— what if you— what if I don't have a suit?
- Show Within a Show: Michael's birthday party turns out to be a pitch for a sequel to the Rat Movie presented to the rats. Then that, along with the Giant Rat obtaining the Noah's Ark Toothbrush from the dogs, turns out to be another movie that Dick Dastardly Richards and his partner had rented from Blockbuster.
- Soap Opera Disease: There is something that's afflicted Dick Dastardly Richards, but it's left ambiguous.Dick Dastardly Richards: I would go to a doctor, but I— I'm— I'm just scared to hear what he has to say, y'know. That's why I asked you about it.Dick's Partner: That is just... grim, pal.
- Sudden Sequel Heel Syndrome: The Cat Police, who turn out to be intergalactic would-be conquerors seeking the Noah's Ark Toothbrushes to obtain the DNA of every living animal on earth, with which they intend to decimate the Earth with.
- Unexplained Recovery: Dick Dastardly Richard is still alive in this movie, despite being killed by the rats in the first movie. That's not even getting into the world itself.