PlayStation Access is an official PlayStation based channel on YouTube. It's based in the UK, and the original hosts were Rob Pearson, Nathan Ditum, Dave Jackson, and Hollie Bennett. Dan Wheeler and Rosie Caddick joined the team in 2018, and Hollie left in January 2019. The videos are varied, but some of the most common are:
- A scripted list of games that fit the video's topic. Rob usually hosts these.
- The "Tuesday Checklist," in which the team take turns to talk about a topic inspired by a recent game release.
- Just watching the cast play games.
The site also likes to use titles that spell out the subject as clearly as possible. So if they happen to do a Discussed Trope, the title makes it clear that the whole video will be about that trope.
See also Outside Xbox, another similar game channel (and also based in the UK).
This Show Provides Examples Of:
- Bait-and-Switch: Rob's Mum just doesn't get how weird Persona 5 is. Why is everyone just standing around, and taking turns hitting each other?
- Blunt "Yes": This has been the channel's response to comments accusing them of shilling for Playstation, since they literally are a Playstation advertising branch.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: This was the whole point of the video "7 Ridiculously Tough Enemies That Should Be Bosses (But Aren't)".
- Dave just hates horror games. So the rest of the team will force him to play them wherever possible.
- Rob gives Delsin Rodent no respect at all.
- Cutscene Incompetence: Discussed in 7 Times We'd Have Done Things Totally Differently, But Cutscenes.
- Emo Teen: When discussing how people of Rob's age grew up with the Crash Bandicoot series, then games like Jak II: Renegade would reflect their teen years. So Rob acted like one when doing a skit with his Mum.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: This was discussed in a few of the entries in "7 Times The Final Boss Wasn't Really The Final Boss".
- Guide Dang It!: Some puzzles are like this to the cast, as discussed in "6 Impossible Video Game Puzzles You'll Never Solve Without A Guide".
- Idiot Ball: Brought up in videos like "7 Things Characters In Horror Games Seriously Need To Stop Doing".
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: In "Games that would be better with magic", Rob declares that Grand Theft Auto V would be better with dragons. He isn't too sure what they would do, but he wants them anyway.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": To them, the word "cliche" sounds like a snooty way someone would insist you say a last name.
- It's Hard, So It Sucks!: Rob has said more than once that he doesn't play hard games, and likes being over-levelled. In the Tuesday Checklist for 11 December 2018, Hollie says that if a boss is recommended for level 50 characters, she will go and Level Grind up to level 60.
- It's Short, So It Sucks!: Inverted: Rob knows that not everyone has the time to play long games, and has presented two videos about good short games.
- Just One More Level: "7 'One-More-Go' Games You Can't Stop Playing Until 4am" is all about games that invoke this in players.
- Larynx Dissonance: For Rule of Funny, they didn't get a lady to play Rob's Mum. They just got a guy to put on a white dress, not show him above the neck, and have him do a comically shrill impersonation of a middle age British woman's voice.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Rob will start the Friday lists with him saying "Hello. You've caught me (doing thing relevant to the topic of the week)".
- Moon Logic Puzzle: The very problem for most of the entries on "6 Impossible Video Game Puzzles You'll Never Solve Without A Guide".
- Product Placement: It's the official channel of PlayStation UK.
- Reality Ensues: Rob shows why Changing Clothes Is a Free Action is great in video games, but could not work in real life at all.
- Rule of Seven: For whatever reason, the majority of list videos have seven entries.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Delsin eventually leaves after being mistreated. Then goes to see a monkey doll martial arts master, to learn how to get revenge.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: In-Universe. In "Games We're Ashamed to Say We've Never Played", Rob thinks that this would be his reaction to Half-Life 2. He didn't play it when it was new, and by now all the innovations that made it great are things that he's seen in many other games.
- Shout-Out: Delsin Rodent is clearly named after Delsin Rowe from Infamous Second Son.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Discussed in "Bosses That Didn't Deserve To Die Like That".
- Team Pet: Delsin Rodent is a badger puppet, who doesn't talk other than whispering in Rob's ear.