PlayStation Access is an official PlayStation based channel on YouTube. It's based in the UK, and the original hosts were Rob Pearson, Nathan Ditum, Dave Jackson, and Hollie Bennett. Dan Wheeler and Rosie Caddick joined the team in 2018, and Hollie left in January 2019. Ash Millman joined in 2020. The videos are varied, but some of the most common are:
- A scripted list of games that fit the video's topic. Rob usually hosts these.
- The "Tuesday Checklist," in which the team take turns to talk about a topic inspired by a recent game release.
- Just watching the cast play games.
The site also likes to use titles that spell out the subject as clearly as possible. So if they happen to do a Discussed Trope, the title makes it clear that the whole video will be about that trope.
See also Outside Xbox, another similar game channel (and also based in the UK).
This Show Provides Examples Of:
- Bait-and-Switch: Rob's Mum just doesn't get how weird Persona 5 is. Why is everyone just standing around, and taking turns hitting each other?
- Blunt "Yes": This has been the channel's response to comments accusing them of shilling for Playstation, since they literally are a Playstation advertising branch.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: This was the whole point of the video "7 Ridiculously Tough Enemies That Should Be Bosses (But Aren't)".
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Rob's description of Amaterasu's ability to alter reality by painting:Rob: She paints on trees to rejuvenate them, She paints on the sky to make it sunny, and she paints on evil things to cut them in half. You can't argue with that, can you?
- Dave just hates horror games. So the rest of the team will force him to play them wherever possible.
- Rob gives Delsin Rodent no respect at all.
- The Cameo: One 2020 episode features Rob making a phone call to the Outside Xtra co-hosts after they criticize his videos, and they giggle helplessly while hearing him rant down the phone.
- Clucking Funny: "Top 10 Best Chickens On Playstation".
- Cutscene Incompetence: Discussed in 7 Times We'd Have Done Things Totally Differently, But Cutscenes.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Play Station Access crew found "Jon McPain", the man who complained about the first Jak and Daxter game being too easy- thus making Jak II: Renegade a lot harder- and Rob punches him in the face.Rob: That is for that bloody laser tank!
- Emo Teen: When discussing how people of Rob's age grew up with the Crash Bandicoot series, then games like Jak II: Renegade would reflect their teen years. So Rob acted like one when doing a skit with his Mum.
- Garnishing the Story: In "Games that would be better with magic", Rob declares that Grand Theft Auto V would be better with dragons. He isn't too sure what they would do, but he wants them anyway.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: This was discussed in a few of the entries in "7 Times The Final Boss Wasn't Really The Final Boss".
- Guide Dang It!: Some puzzles are like this to the cast, as discussed in "6 Impossible Video Game Puzzles You'll Never Solve Without A Guide".
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Apparently, in his childhood, Rob's parents would tell him to eat all his peas or the Seven Dwarfs would creep into his bedroom at night and peel off his fingernails while singing "Hi ho, hi ho, these fingernails must go..."
- Idiot Ball: Brought up in videos like "7 Things Characters In Horror Games Seriously Need To Stop Doing".
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": To them, the word "cliche" sounds like a snooty way someone would insist you say a last name.
- It's Hard, So It Sucks!: Rob has said more than once that he doesn't play hard games, and likes being over-levelled. In the Tuesday Checklist for 11 December 2018, Hollie says that if a boss is recommended for level 50 characters, she will go and Level Grind up to level 60.
- It's Short, So It Sucks!: Inverted: Rob knows that not everyone has the time to play long games, and has presented two videos about good short games.
- Just One More Level: "7 'One-More-Go' Games You Can't Stop Playing Until 4am" is all about games that invoke this in players.
- Larynx Dissonance: For Rule of Funny, they didn't get a lady to play Rob's Mum. They just got Dave to put on a white dress, not show him above the neck, and have him do a comically shrill impersonation of a middle age British woman's voice.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Rob will start the Friday lists with him saying "Hello. You've caught me (doing thing relevant to the topic of the week)".
- Moon Logic Puzzle: The very problem for most of the entries on "6 Impossible Video Game Puzzles You'll Never Solve Without A Guide".
- Product Placement: It's the official channel of PlayStation UK.
- Reality Ensues: Rob shows why Changing Clothes Is a Free Action is great in video games, but could not work in real life at all.
- Reverse Escort Mission: Rob argues that Bioshock Infinite is one in "7 Video Game Sidekicks Who Are Actually Massively Helpful":Rob: So Bioshock Infinite is a ten hour escort mission, only you are the one being escorted. That's got to be the biggest twist in Bioshock history.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: In "7 Videogame Villains We Secretly Like":Rob: Why would you not like Vaas?
Rob: (to himself as an aside, in a Gollum voice) Because he's a murderer, you stupid, fat, villain-lover!
Vaas: Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?
- He does something similar to this with another video concerning Far Cry 3, mainly consisting of him replying to Vaas' "Definition of insanity" catchphrase.
Rob: Is it this?! (bends his face into a silly grin and waggles his eyebrows)
Rob: This? (lies on his back with his feet in the air)
Rob: (with his shirt pulled up over his head) This?! Is it this, Vaas-
Vaas: F*** YOU! OKAY, MAN?! F***! YOU! The thing is, right... The thing is, I killed you once already, and it's not like I am f***ing crazy.
Rob: (now shirtless) Actually, Vaas... I've got the real definition of insanity, right here. (holds up The Oxford Paperback Dictionary)
- Rule of Seven: For whatever reason, the majority of list videos have seven entries.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Delsin eventually leaves after being mistreated. Then goes to see a monkey doll martial arts master, to learn how to get revenge.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: In-Universe. In "Games We're Ashamed to Say We've Never Played", Rob thinks that this would be his reaction to Half-Life 2. He didn't play it when it was new, and by now all the innovations that made it great are things that he's seen in many other games.
- Shout-Out: Delsin Rodent is clearly named after Delsin Rowe from inFAMOUS: Second Son.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Discussed in "Bosses That Didn't Deserve To Die Like That".
- Team Pet: Delsin Rodent is a badger puppet, who doesn't talk other than whispering in Rob's ear.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Jon McPain (Likes It Hard), the man allegedly responsible for delivering feedback to Naughty Dog Studios which drove them to make the second Jak and Daxter game a lot harder, appears to be such a person. He openly states that life's more enjoyable with challenges, and he finds it nice to punish himself. Which is why he drinks boiling water with nails in it every morning and smears his pants in fresh chili paste.