Disney tales all end in lies
Here's what happened after
All their dreams came true...
Jon Cozart is an American film grad and YouTube celebrity via his channel "Paint". He is best known for creating the viral music video "After Ever After" and its sequel, which won acclaim for their dark parodies of Disney's Happily Ever After endings. Cozart's gimmick is recording himself in multiple parts and editing them together to create self-duets or self-quartets.
WARNING: The trope list below spoils the videos, and the videos themselves spoil the endings of the films (both literally and figuratively). You have been warned.
Examples of tropes in "Paint" videos:
- A Cappella: Most of Cozart's music videos are sung without instruments; his self-backing tracks include the melodies as well as the lyrics.
- Anti-Hero: In "After Ever After," Pocahontas starts murdering the colonists — rather violently, at that. But when you consider how appallingly the Natives were treated by the settlers (both in the video and in real life), it's hard not to take her side.
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Jon and Thomas Sanders did a version of this as a song pitting YouTube against Vine.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: The townsfolk in Belle's village appear to believe this, as they burn her at the stake for her assumed relationship with Beast.
- Boy Band: "Boy Brand" parodies the phenomenon by riffing on its hyper-commercialization and the decline of the bands once they reach adulthood.
- Downer Ending: "After Ever After" changes Disney's happy endings into downers by setting them in the real world. All except for Mulan, of course, who is happy after his sex change operation, but feels bad when he realizes how awful the others have it.
- Fangirl: According to "Boy Brand", being a member of One Direction is rough on your love life, as anyone you date gets assaulted by jealous fans.A horde of girls threw my date down an empty well / After they threatened to drown me in styling gel
- Gender Flip: After Ever After 3 focuses on Disney princes/male leads as opposed to Disney princesses.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Elsa becomes a real evil queen, takes over the world, and puts the survivors in concentration camps to stop the destruction of the environment.
- Happily Ever After: According to Cozart, Disney fairy tales are set in a world completely unlike our own, where happy endings are not only possible but expected. He wanted to call this out.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Peter Pan has been stuck like this for 80 years.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Elsa's march to take over the world intentionally invokes Nazi Germany in imagery and lyrics.Let it snow, let it snow / I hope you concentrate in camp (Heil Elsa!)
- Now Buy the Merchandise: "Boy Brand"'s One Direction segment ends with a command to go buy the band's ... stuff.
- The Oner: Cozart records each part of his songs in a single take and then edits them together.
- Parody: Cozart's parody songs use the original melodies but his own lyrics.
- "After Ever After" and "After Ever After 2" are parodies of Happily Ever After endings in the Disney franchise.
- "Boy Brand" is a parody of Boy Bands and their eventual descent into mid-life crisis — except for One Direction, which is about their manufactured teen appeal.
- "Progressive Christmas Carols" 'modernizes' famous Christmas songs by changing them to deliver faux-progressive messages.
- People Puppets: "Boy Brand" parodies No Strings Attached by having Cozart and Hollens act as if they were being controlled by strings.
- Reality Ensues: What might really happen if Disney tales were set in our world?
- "After Ever After"
- Ariel's beloved ocean ecosystem is destroyed by pollution and overfishing.
- Jasmine's husband is arrested by the CIA and interrogated under suspicion of being a member of al Qaeda.
- Belle is accused of being a sexual deviant for her relationship with Beast.
- Pocahontas finds her people's land being invaded and herself dying of disease and starts lopping off heads.
- "After Ever After 2"
- Mulan finds herself dealing with gender identity disorder and has a sex change operation.
- Cinderella tells her prince about her adventures and is thrown in an insane asylum.
- Tiana's restaurant is washed away by Hurricane Katrina.
- Elsa finds her ice city threatened by global warming and creates an army to stop it.
- "After Ever After 3"
- "After Ever After"
- Refuge in Audacity: Part of the appeal of "After Ever After" is that nobody expects Disney films to be given such a dark, sarcastic treatment. Cozart milks this for all it's worth.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Cozart sings all his parts a cappella in one take each, then edits them into a single song with the parts arranged side by side.
- Send in the Clones: According to "Boy Brand", One Direction was grown from cloned cells by soulless corporate marketers.
- Something Completely Different: "After Ever After 3" not only lays off the Disney Princesses for a bit by hitting just males, but retreads on a past target by doing Aladdin after the first one had Jasmine, leading to some Continuity Snarl.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion:
- In "After Ever After 2", Cozart dodges the obvious rhyme for Mulan's sex change operation.I sank like a brick / Prince thinks I'm sick / Ice is melting quick / Now I have a ... lot of self esteem
- In "Boy Brand", the One Direction part almost ends with a curse before being shushed.We all know we're beautiful / That's what makes you buy our shhhhhh...
- In "After Ever After 2", Cozart dodges the obvious rhyme for Mulan's sex change operation.
- Take Over the World: Elsa creates a horde of evil snowmen to conquer the Earth in order to stop global warming.
- Take That!:
- Jasmine calls Bush and Obama "crazy" and "lazy" in her song respectively.
- Belle laments that PETA's going to take her beast away.
- All four of the singers at the end of After Ever After 3 shout "Screw Trump!", in reference to Aladdin's last song about refugees.
- Target Audience: According to "Boy Brand", Backstreet Boys' current demographic is Your Mom: middle-aged housewives desperately trying to recapture the ardor of their youth by worshiping a group of aging has-beens.
- Transgender: Mulan starts to realize that she's happier as a man after months in disguise as one, so she has the operation.