Non-Brony Commentaries is a Youtube web series made by cynical, sarcastic and irritable Jerkass, Baglady 74, riffing on episodes of the childrens television show, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The humor of the series comes from his mean and sarcastic jokes clashing against the optimistic and Tastes Like Diabetes qualities My Little Pony is known for.
Unfortunately, Hasbro took his account down for copyright violation, leading to the loss of many of his videos. However, he started a newer account, which he slowly updates.Find his twitter account here
He also likes making references in his commentaries. Check out the shout out page here.
Some guy also started posting older, once-lost episodes of Non-Brony Commentaries on Dailymotion.
Provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: He does NOT like the parent show, and boy does he show it. Lampshaded when he harshly criticized the animators for a layering mistake.Baglady: I am way too harsh on this show.
- Actually Pretty Funny:
Twilight: Shes sniffing flowers.Spike: Holy guacamole! What do you think that means?!Twilight: Probably that the flowers smell good.Baglady: Pfffft, haha!
- Baglady has refused to do any more commentaries on Friendship is Witchcraft episodes because he can't do commentaries on anything funnier than him.
- He also really liked Button's Adventures.
- In "Feeling Pinkie Keen":
Rarity (sarcastically): Isnt friendship MAGIC?!Baglady: *laughs for 17 seconds* Okay, I think that scene alone makes this my favorite episode ever. That was perfect.
- Also, in "Rarity takes Manehattan":
- Adorkable: His reaction to the Little Richard songs in Non-Brony Commentary: Fire Safety PSA.Little Richard: You just call to faaaaall and craaaawl!Baglady: WOOOOO! *sings along*
- Alas, Poor Villain: In the Movie, Baglady can't hate Sunset Shimmer.Baglady: Shes trying to hard to make me hate her. Shes just I almost feel bad for her.
- Bamboo Technology: He has a hard time accepting the logic of MLPs use of this trope.Baglady: They still make things out of wood, yet they have cameras. And cranes. Made of wood.
So wait, they have hydroelectric power but they dont have steel or electric lighting. What do they use the hydroelectric power for? Powering the ovens?
- Berserk Button: The balloon from the Title Sequence that the characters use every once in a while. It's so out of nowhere and inexplicable that he had to have an explanation. By the Mare-Do-Well commentary, he reaches his breaking point:
- Black Comedy Rape: When admirers crowd around Rainbow Dash in "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well", he imagines them saying this:Weve come to rape you The bronies requested it
- He also theorizes that the baby going off the cliff might have been a rape-baby in the same episode.
- That's what you get... for messing with the MAN!!
- Captain Obvious: Bagladys reaction to Sarah Walls name.Baglady: I dont think shes actually a wall.
- Comedic Sociopathy: He often expresses desire to see MLP characters get hurt. Especially Rainbow.Rainbow flies into a well to save a baby pony.Baglady: Watch her just face plant into the bottom of the well.Rainbow flies out unscathed.Baglady: Dammit! Why won't you give me what I want?!
- Covers Always Lie: In his original videos, he used to make troll titles like 'Bronies are a Disease' ("The Cutie Pox" commentary), 'This is Why Nobody Wants to be Friends with Bronies' ("The Best Night Ever" commentary) and 'Never Make a Bet with a Brony' ("Party of One" commentary). He stopped after a while.
- Creator Breakdown:
Whenever I hear this song, I think about my life.* laughs/cries until the song ends*Well, definitely the most disturbing thing Ive done in the opening!
- Played for Laughs in Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, he has this in the opening sequence.
- Again in the ending of the Keep Calm and Flutter On commentary, which was so bad and Anvilicious that Baglady begs Hasbro to fix it, and ended the episode early.
- Deadpan Snarker:
Bulk Biceps: GHHAAAAARGGHH!!!Baglady: Hes like a graceful bumblebee.
- Bagladys modus operandi.
- His reaction to Bulk Biceps attempt to fly:
- Everybody Has Standards: Though he hates the show and the characters, there are some moments that actually make him feel emotions, particularly during a scene in which Fluttershy broke down into tears in the Hurricane Fluttershy commentary.
- Just Eat Gilligan: Baglady theorises that the entire "Dragonshy" conflict could have been avoided if they had taken the hot air balloon.
- There's also a bunch of episodes where he says that everything could be easily solved if they actually used magic.
- Humiliating Wager: According to his first video, the series started as a bet he lost against a brony friend of his. The bet called for him to watch an episode of MLP (specifically Party of One) and record his reaction.
- Hypocritical Humor: He says that references aren't funny. And yet..
- Ironic Echo:
- In the first commentary, he says that if he starts remembering the names of the characters, he'd be in trouble. He memorises them by the next video.
- Also in the first commentary, when the bubblegum pop theme song starts, he mistakes it for a Punk Rock song, which he expressed regret saying in BRCOPW. In the Equestria Girls commentary, he says that the bubbly Dubstep remix of the theme song is 'definitely punk rock'.
- Orphaned Series: There was a one year long hiatus the series went into, but there seems to be a chance that more commentaries will be made.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After Rainbow Dash makes Twilight embarrass herself in a soccer match so that she could show off how cool she is in Equestria Girls, Baglady makes one.Baglady: I thought you said if she won! Youre an asshole! I think Ive figured out what I dont like about you! Youre an asshole! Finally, its become clear! Youre an ASSHOLE! THATS why I dont like you!
- Running Gag: After his channel getting a strike for copyright, he started skipping songs, usually by speeding up the footage and replacing the audio, with either commentary or an amusingly unfitting song.
- Something Completely Different: Whenever he has legal issues with posting a commentary, Baglady is known to make videos not based on commentating the episodes of the show, and rather commentate on fan-made content, like Snow Drop, Friendship is Witchcraft or Double Rainboom. However, he once made a commentary on something not related at all to MLP; a Fire Safety PSA. Starring Little Richard, Michael Winslow, and Gilbert Gottfried.
- The Unintelligible:
Baglady: What did she say? All I heard was squeaking.
- Such is the fate of the girl who tripped in the gahjigagahdabuh.
- Also, he has trouble understanding Pinkie sometimes.