"Tropes are... Good."
—The narrator, at least once per episode.
An Abridged Series of Future Diary created by Zero-Q, in which Yukiteru constantly wishes for death to get away from Yuno, who is being, well, Yuno. It can be found here.
There is also a Spanish dub, which can be found here, and a German dub here.
This work provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Surprisingly enough, Yukiteru qualifies. Although he's still rightfully terrified of Yuno, his reactions to her antics are generally more annoyed and exasperated than whiny and frightened. He also has no problem with talking back to her, and even threatens her once for misbehaviour.
"But if you touch my dart books
, I swear I'll make you pay
- When he tries to report the corpses in her house to Mr. Detective, she tries to intimidate him into silence with her presence. He goes ahead and rats her out anyway, telling her that she can't intimidate him just by standing there. Mr. Detective wasn't listening anyway and Yukiteru is suitably distressed about that, but it doesn't change the fact that Yuki stood up to Yuno and told her that she can't scare him.
- Adults Are Useless: Just about the only adult shown to not be a complete moron is Minene, who is, well, Minene.
- American Accents: The 4th sounds like Foghorn Leghorn.
- Axe-Crazy: Yuno's life philosophy
Yukiteru: Yuno, if the cell phone told you to commit murder... who am I kidding? You'd do that even if it told you not to.
- Yuno is hardly alone in this philosophy.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Minene when she tries to pretend to be a normal student, complete with a Creepy Monotone. It goes completely unnoticed by Yuki, who's too busy examining a cockroach. Said cockroach is later killed in an explosion. She also resorts to this to get her keys given from the Twelfth after he asks her if she learned her lesson about acts of terrorism. This still doesn't get her anywhere as she prompthly realizes her hands are still shackled.
- Black Comedy Rape: Once Tsubaki explains her sad tale.
Yukiteru: Good GOD that was horrible! I thought this was supposed to be a parody! Who on earth would find that funny?
- Bring My Brown Pants: Well, the sound effect equivalent. Yuki craps his pants at least once per episode, no thanks to Yuno.
- Catchphrase: The narrator says "(X) is... Good" at least once an episode.
Yuki: (after Yuno suggests they have sex) Now's not the time!
Yuno: It's never the time!
- The Chew Toy: Yuki, of course.
- Clueless Detective: Can pretty much be 4th's defining trait.
- Color Failure: Happens to the world once Yuno... goes full-on Tsundere for a moment in Episode 9.
- Comically Small Bid: When Hinata holds Yuki hostage in episode 9, Akise and Yuno start placing bids on him. He winds up being sold for 50 yen, "less than a candy bar".
- Deadpan Snarker: Minene has her moments, but the bulk of the snark is from Yuki.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: In the original, the defeated diary owners literally spiral into nonexistence when their diary is destroyed. Here, they explode.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Of Those Two Guys Dave and Gary, Dave reacts to what is happening around them, while Gary's sole focus is Dave's biceps...
- Distracted by the Shiny: Yuno is easily distracted by shiny things, such as tub faucets... and knives. This is introduced and promptly exploited in Episode 8, when Yuki points out there's a bag of knives near Yuno, and she focuses on them instead of Yuki.
- Double Entendre / Hurricane of Puns: Yuno, especially in the 5th episode before the fight with 12th.
- Enfant Terrible: Reisuke. Because just like all five-year-olds, he's a sociopathic bioterrorist.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics
Student: Does this mean we don't have to go to math class?
- Fridge Logic: An in-universe example in episode 2, when Yuki remarks on why he would carry his darts with him everywhere.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Yuno really wants to get in Yuki's pants.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Implied to happen to Yuno when she becomes Yuki's girlfriend.
- I Have No Son!: Parodied in this exchange:
Hinata: Hey dad!
10th: Huh, who is this?
Hinata: It's me, your daughter!
10th: I. Have. No. Son!
Hinata: I said "daughter".
10th: Oh, well, yes. I have one of those.
- Irony: explicitly used and Lampshaded by Tsubaki in episode 5:
Yuno: But rape isn't funny!
Tsubaki: It is when it happens to someone you don't give a shit about.
Yuno: Hey, that's kinda like what I said to you a few moments ago...
Tsubaki: Yes, that's called irony.
- Ironic Echo: Used between the 1st and 2nd episodes with Yuki and Yuno, respectively.
Yuno: Your cellphone predicted that you're going to die. Come with me if you want to live.
Yuki: Interesting proposal. Here's my counter-offer.
random student: We must let Yukiteru die so that the rest of us can live.
Yuno: Interesting proposal. Here's my counter-offer.
- Also used and lampshaded in episode 5 (see above).
- I Want Grandkids:
Yuki's Mom: "Nighty night. Sleep tight. Don't let the abstinence bite. (closes door before bursting back in) Seriously, when I wake up tomorrow morning that girl better be pregnant with my grandchild!"
Yuki: (throws pillow at door) "GET THE F**K OUT OF MY ROOM!"
- Knife Nut: Yuno in episodes 8 and 9, resulting in a Brick Joke.
- Lampshade Hanging: Yuki's done this at least twice, once asking how Yuno pulled a pillow out of hammerspace, and once when he asks why he'd carry a bag of darts strapped to his ass.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Yuno makes ridiculous efforts to make Yuki fornicate with her. (Which obviously all fail.)
- Mr. Seahorse: Alluded to in episode 5, when Yuki is throwing up over a toilet, and Yuno asks if he's pregnant. Yuki is not amused.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Yuki finds a piece of concrete in the middle of the sidewalk. He records in his diary "I think I came".
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Yuno is definitely this for Yuki.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Yuno obviously disregards Yuki's.
(long wait in the elevator)
Yukiteru: You're in my personal space.
Yuno: I am your personal space.
- Only Sane Man: Yuki and Minene. Even more than usual.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Yuno inexplicably decides to be a Tsundere for a moment in episode 9, claiming to Yuki that she's not killing because she likes him or anything, then calls him a "Dummy."
- Pervert Dad: Gender-Inverted here; Yuki has a Pervert Mom.
- Relationship Upgrade: Happens in episode 9 when Yukiteru declares that Yuno is his girlfriend.
- Russian Roulette: 4th forces Yuki into doing this.
4th: 23 tries and we're both still alive and kickin' but the night is young boy, let's keep the ball rollin'. [put the gun to his head and pulls the trigger.] Looks like I'm not takin' a dirt nap just yet
- Say My Name: An exaggerated example when Yuno screams out Yuki's name, and it can be heard all over earth.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Yukiteru briefly claims this when Yuno runs off to rescue him, not deterred at all by the fact that she sets off all of Minene's bombs in the process.
Minene: Looks like your girlfriend's coming to save you.
Yukiteru: I do not know that person.
Yuno: I'LL SAVE YOU, YUKI!!! (explosion)
Yukiteru: Shut up!
- Shout-Out: Some of the episode names are this, such as the first episode, Future Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- From episode 1 (after 3rd explodes):
Yukiteru: The f**k just happened?
Yuno: I guess he just couldn't live...
*puts on sunglasses*
- Episode 3 is called ''The Blind leading the... Visually Impaired, referring to a metaphor most notably used in The Bible. Appropriate, as they're on a religious site.
- Epispde 5 is called Blind, Faith
- Skewed Priorities: In episode 5:
Minene: Not to spoil your fun, but shouldn't you be out there stopping those kids from ruining your plan?
Yomotsu (12th): First things first, before I can do battle with the evil out there, I must first do battle with the evil in here.
Minene: Come again?
: (To a scrap of paper)
Prepare yourself, evildoer, for my dust pan of justice, or as I
like to call it, dustice!
- Suggestive Collision/Marshmallow Hell: In episode 3:
Yuno: HOLD ME!
- Stealth Pun: Episode 9 is called Youth In Asia. It's not until Yuno quite literally puts down a dog the pun's subtlety is revealed.
- That Poor Cat: When Minene runs away she runs over and destroys everything, including a stray cat.
- Tempting Fate: Right at the beginning of the first episode, Yuki watches a bad ending of School Days. And then...
Yukiteru: Wow, that girl sure is crazy and scary. It's a good thing nobody like that exists in real life.
Yukiteru: Did you hear that, Yuno? Hinata said that she's my friend! Do you know what this means?
*Cut to Hinata's seemingly dead prostrate body.*
- Those Two Guys: Dave and Gary, who also both have some Homoerotic Subtext going on. Their main job is to react to what goes on around them for Dave, and Gary's is to comment on Dave's biceps.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Muru Muru loves ears of corn.
Muru Muru: (to Yukiteru, standing on an oil drum) "Hey, how's it goin'?"
Deus: "Are you standing on an oil drum?"
Muru Muru: "Yep!"
Muru Muru: "It's where I keep my corn cobs."
Muru Muru: "I like corn."
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Take a shot every time a child does something creepy. You'll be drunk in no time.
- Vocal Dissonance: Yuki's mom has a deep, raspy male voice which is Played for Laughs and is regularly ignored by other characters who find her attractive.
- To a lesser extent, Tsubaki, who has the same voice actor as Yukiteru's mother and also has a conspicuously un-feminine voice.
- Yandere: Take a wild guess. Correct, Yuno, and it's parodied for all it's worth. In episode 9 Yuno kills a dog because it tried to hump Yuki's leg, and at another point in the same episode acts Tsundere, claiming that she's not killing the other characters because she likes him or anything...