Mentski is a YouTube channel run by, well, Mentski, aka Uncle Mentuss (real name Darren Paul), who sports a Badass Beard and Bald of Awesome. It is primarily a Let's Play channel focusing on arcade games, but while other Let's Play channels focus on completing a game (sometimes at the shortest time possible), Mentuss' channel instead sought to see how far he can get on a single credit (although he does do proper Let's Plays from time to time).
His title of One Credit Champ has to be taken at a liberal sense. However, he does succeed in a number of games, with most of his successful runs being racing games and button-mashers like Namco's Numan Athletics. Originally covering games that used to be sited at his local Fish-and-Chip shop (hence the name "Games from the Chippy" for Season 1), Season 2 changed to the current title of "One Credit Champ" when it became apparent that his gimmick is popular with the viewers. The channel started uploading in 60fps with Season 3 (now retitled One Credit Champ Dash). He started narrating facts about the games he is playing in later videos.
The channel was founded in 2006, but rose to fame when Mentuss became a recurring Freeze-Frame Bonus on Stuart Ashen's videos and appeared as a guest star in Ashens and the Quest for the Game Child. Ashens has since returned the favor by appearing in a short video Mentuss produced. In real life, Mentuss and Ashens go back a long way, first meeting on Ashen's forums a long time ago. He has also written several articles for Ashen's Terrible Old Games You've Never Heard Of books.
Mentuss also used to run Rose Tinted Gamers alongside DaddyBrown, but has since left the partnership due to lack of public interests and his intention to focus on his Youtube channel. However DaddyBrown does still appear on his channel from time to time.
- Accentuate the Negative: Tends to do this with games he doesn't like, most often to remakes that deviated too much from the original and/or have poor gameplay mechanics (ie the 3D AGES version of Space Harrier).
- Badass Beard: Mentuss sports one.
- Bald of Awesome: Mentuss sports one of those too.
- Bee Afraid: Usually paired with the appropriate Nicolas Cage soundbite every time bees are encountered.
- Catchphrase: Say it with us- HUSSSSSS!
- Deadpan Snarker: Mentuss can have a rather dry sense of humor, many of his videos contain a heavy dose of sarcasm.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Outside of Ashens and the Quest for the Game Child, he has always been credited as or referred to as Baron Mentski, Mentski, or Mentuss. He doesn't answer to his real name as so little people use it, he never thinks they're talking to him. This trope is even more relevant as his surname actually is Paul.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Along with appearing in freeze frames in Ashen's videos, several of his contain flash images of Ashens (to return the favor), or other more obscure references where the intention isn't known, if not to just mess with the viewers.
- Point of No Continues: The whole gimmick of One Credit Champ is to get as far as he can on one credit, and never continue beyond that.
- Running Gag: Fi-hi-hi-hi-hishhhh!
- Self-Imposed Challenge: One Credit, then it's game over
- Shout-Out: Received them regularly from Ashen's videos.
- Signing-Off Catchphrase: UNTIL NEXT TIME, BYEEEEEEEE...(get's cut off by his own endcard).
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The video "Meanwhile: in Elite: Dangerous" in the overflow channel has footage of Mentuss taking down a wanted criminal in said game... While listening to Jeffrey Osborne's On The Wings Of Love
- Stock British Phrases: The use of BUM in the hiscore board is the British equivalent of using ASS.