The Kitten Academy is a kitten-fostering organization run by a couple in Illinois. Chris (Mister Academy) and Deepa (DJ) Jansen are Kindhearted Cat Lovers who've turned two rooms in their house into "classrooms" where kittens can learn how to cat. They host a YouTube livestream that runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in both rooms (provided they have enough kittens to populate both). Saturdays at 10 a.m. KATZ (Kitten Academy Time Zone; that is, Central Time) they host a special Mailbag where they open up letters and gifts sent to the kittens by their dedicated fans.
The Kitten Academy website can be found here: Kitten.Academy
Kitten Academy contains examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Inverted! At the Kitten Academy, they accentuate the positive. They have a strict "No Sads" policy in that they avoid discussing the sad stories that often come with foster kittens. The kittens and momcats often have to Earn Their Happy Endings, and the happy bits are what matter most. Mr. A and DJ also don't want to come across as exploiting the sad stories for donations — even going so far as do temporarily de-monetize their YouTube videos when a series of sad advertisements were added to them. The kittens and momcats have good lives at the Academy and afterwards, and that's what's the most important.
- Affectionate Nickname: Mr. Academy gives the faculty cats, momcats, and kittens Affectionate Nicknames, usually by appending "bean" to the end of the cat's name. Examples are Loganberry being Loganbean or Loganbunny, and Custard being Custaru. DJ names them; Mr. Academy nicknames them.
- Bald of Awesome: Mr. Academy.
- Boarding School: The Kitten Academy is themed like this, with the kittens being the students and the academy fosters' pets being the faculty. The kittens graduate after they receive their spay/neuter, first shots, and microchips.
- Cute Kitten: Naturally!
- The Faceless: Mr. Academy, when he does the mailbags on Saturday mornings. In order to keep the focus on the gifts and the kittens playing around him, we usually only see him from the mid-chest down.
- Fake Pregnancy: In late 2017, the Academy had a rash of supposed "momcats" who turned out to not be pregnant at all. One (Filbert) was actually male, while a couple of others (Cashew and Quiche) were just pudgy. Still another never even made it onto the livestream before the ruse was discovered. KA fans went along with the fun, claiming that the Academy was so much fun that cats were faking pregnancies to get in.
- Family Theme Naming: Each class of kittens is given a name based on their mother's name. See the Kitten Classes folder on the Kitten Academy Characters page.
- Fan Speak: The fosters and fans of the Kitten Academy have a growing list of special words and phrases...
- "A door bell": Adorable
- "Adooter": Adopter
- "Cutting onions": When Mr. A or DJ get overcome with emotion and tear up. Tears of Joy, of course, since the Kitten Academy has No Sads. This generally happens during the mailbag, when a fan sends in a heartfelt letter.
- "Dide": A misspelling of "died," which is short for } "That was so cute I died".
- "Hisses get kisses": If a kitten hisses at another, or at Mr. A or DJ, it gets picked up and kissed as a form of gentle discipline.
- "Sboogles": Hugs and kisses.
- "Shakashaka (cat's name)": When a cat repeatedly paws or scratches at a glass door, window, or mirror, usually while standing on its back legs. Shakashaka Ari!
- "Singing the song of his/her people": When a cat or kitten is meowing loudly and continuously.
- "Smols": Kittens a few weeks old or older who are usually kept in the main room.
- "Tinies": Kittens from newborns to a few weeks old, usually kept in the annex.
- "Why are you the way you are, (cat's name)?": Used when a cat is acting especially silly.
- Fanfic: KA fan Wombat has written several Fanfics starring successive classes of kittens. They can be read here.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: The Saturday morning Mailbag sessions.
- Funny Background Event: The kittens, momcats, and Custard often get up to adorable shenanigans during the mailbag sessions.
- Happy Place: Many Kitten Academy fans consider the livestream their Happy Place.
- Hero of Another Story: The good folks at On Angels' Wings, the nearby rescue shelter that handles adoptions for the Academy and provides them with new kittens and/or momcats.
- Jingle: Sarah Donner, an indie singer-songwriter and dedicated KA fan, has written and recorded a jingle for the Saturday Mailbag videos.Kitten Academy
Is where you wanna be
When you are a cat
On a Saturday
They can pounce and play
Time for the... Mail-baaaaaag
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Comes with the territory.
- Meat Puppet: Of the most adorable variety! When a kitten is adopted, Mr. A holds them up to one of the webcams and jiggles their paw to make them look like they're waving goodbye to the fans.
- Older Than They Look / Teen Pregnancy: One of the momcats, Roux, was small and dainty enough to have easily passed for a kitten herself. (She was estimated to be less than a year old when she arrived, so she was technically a kitten.)
- P.O.V. Cam: The "Kitten Close Up" streams, in which Mr. Academy narrates short (usually 20 minutes or so) videos of the kittens taken with his smartphone.
- Pungeon Master: Mr. Academy is capable of unleashing some real doozies when narrating the Close Up and Mailbag videos. Often followed by audible groaning from DJ.
- Put on a Bus: The kittens and momcats leave the Academy after "graduating" and getting adopted. Averted with the faculty cats, most of whom are former student kittens that Mr. A and DJ were either unable to find adopters for or just decided to keep on permanently.
- On rare occasions the bus comes back, as when an adoption turns out to be a poor fit. Then theres Trout from the "Angels Fish" class, who returned to the Academy for a special visit when his adopters came back a few months later to adopt Garbanzo from the "Chilis Beans" class and brought Trout along.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The kittens, of course! And the momcats. And the faculty cats. And Elsie.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: At the end of every Kitten Close Up video, Mr. Academy reminds viewers, "If you want to keep watching these kittens, you can tune in to the regular Kitten Academy livestream right here on YouTube."
- Then, as the camera focuses on one kitten or cat, "Say goodbye, (name of cat)." And, finally, "Goodbye, everybody."
- Spin-Off: Wednesdays with Winnie and Gary. Winnie (Wingdings) and Gary (Garamond) were part of the "Fonts" Kitten Academy class and now have their own YouTube channel.
- The Voice:
- Mr. Academy typically provides off-camera narration for the Kitten Close Up streams.
- DJ during the Saturday mailbags. She's usually off-camera, her presence indicated by her voice alone.