Mike Jeavons, mega-successful Internet critic, believes it would be unfair to use his fame to snare someone as a romantic partner and instead decides to try Internet dating, recording his progress and experience. It doesn't go quite as he intended.
It provides examples of:
- The Cameo: Diamanda Hagan.
- Computer = Monitor: No, it doesn't. See Is This Thing Still On? for details. (Also someone making a living of web videos should know better.)
- Foreshadowing: The fact that the date ends up being with Film Brain makes the initial try with Diamanda Hagan seem like it (considering she's a lesbian).
- Gender-Blender Name: Both Mike and Mathew managed to accidentally choose easily misinterpretable screen-names.
- Is This Thing Still On?: Well, believe it or not switching off the monitor doesn't terminate the Skype connection.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: Mathew offers this about the date.
- Mistaken for Gay: Mike and Mathew do this to each other. Including some awkward accusations regarding Slash Fics.
- Mockumentary: Yes. It was marketed as documentary but seriously...
- Real Men Wear Pink: Apparently Mike's favorite pastimes include gardening and cross-stitch.
- Shout-Out: Both Mike and Mathew give these to two of the more popular fan communities; TGWTG Secrets and The Secret Treehouse.
- Video Phone: Before the date Mike also Skypes with a nice girl from Ireland.