Hasan Piker is a Turkish-American political commentator, journalist, activist and Twitch streamer. He is best known for his work with The Young Turks through his "The Breakdown" video series, hosted on Facebook, as well as the Twitch channel hasanabi, which he runs independently as a way to debate and discuss politics and political news.
Hasan is known for his ability to marry leftist political theory and millenial/zoomer sensibilities, best expressed in the formatting and humor of his "The Breakdown" explainer videos. His straightforward, blunt, "bro" style of presenting his ideas has set him apart from his peers. Crowned "Woke Bae" by a few publications, Hasan has gained popularity online by presenting a traditionally masculine, "bro" personality with socialist, progressive, and inclusive values.
Although he began as more of a journalist than a full-on political commentator and online personality, Hasan has branched out since The Young Turks and has featured other notable personalities in the progressive sphere on his Twitch stream. These guests include H.Bomberguy, Austin from the Austin Show (kind of, the joke is that he's a lib), Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk, and FREAKING CONGRESSWOMAN ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ (via a collab stream of Among Us), to name a few. In addition, he has also featured callers from chat and Discord for regular debates. He also incorporates gaming and reaction videos to his content as a variety streamer.
An immigrant, he was born in America, grew up in Turkey, and came back to the states at the age of 18. He graduated cum laude from Rutgers University, with a dual degree in Political Science and Communication. According to Hasan himself, he began his career in journalism and political punditry after being hired by The Young Turks. His main shows are "The Breakdown" and "Agitprop".
Not to be confused with Hassan, a Twitch admin, or Hasan Minhaj, the host of "Patriot Act", or Mehdi Hasan of Al-Jazeera.
Tropes present in his work:
- Accidental Misnaming: If it happens, expect his Twitch chat to call him out on it, which results in MALDING (see Running Gag).
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Acts and dresses like a millenial frat boy, but is one of the youngest and most popular political contributors to The Young Turks, and has even gone toe to toe on television with a much older and more experienced conservative talking head in Ann Coulter.
- Genius Ditz: Hasan may appear incompetent with technology, or have little knowledge of certain trends, but he is an expert at political discourse and understanding convoluted political concepts. As mentioned above, he graduated cum laude in Political Science from Rutgers.
- Mr. Fanservice: Quite possibly one of his biggest selling points as an online personality.
- Running Gag: Several, usually stemming from his Twitch streams. Changes regularly depending on the 'arc' that Hasan is going through. As of November 2020:
- Dealing out copium during the 2020 Presidential Elections
- Hasan aiming to become the ultimate himbo
- Don't ask him what happened that one time when he got national coverage on conservative news.
- Doing his obligatory Twitch on-stream ads in an Irish accent. "TOP OF THE HOUR EVERY HOUR"
- WHAT A F**KING LIAR, DUDE
- Fans lamenting whenever Hasan "gets away with it", whatever "it" means. (Usually happens whenever a woman expresses attraction towards Hasan)
- Special Guest: In Episode 316 of Chapo Trap House, where he talked using Twitch streaming as a platform to spread leftist ideas.
- Suddenly Always Knew That: During his appearance on the Has Mods edition of the Rajjchelor , Hasan was asked by one of the bachelorettes if he liked horses or knew how to ride one. Cue Hasan suddenly revealing that years ago, he was actually a professional equestrian showjumper at 90 centimeters, which was something that almost nobody knew about. Hasan then explains that the reason he doesn't ride horses now is that he's too big for it, and that he only ever did equestrian for his parents (he much prefers basketball as a hobby).
- Tiny-Headed Behemoth: Viewers frequently troll Hasan by sending him photoshopped pictures where his head appears much smaller than it actually is.