Frost Killing Hour is a series of crossover Fan Vids by TheNamelessDoll (BRAVE TWINS, ILLUMINATED, To Belong). The series consists of Frost Killing Hour: A Family Tragedy - Part 1 (set to Natalie Merchant's "My Skin") and I Have To Try - Part 2 (set to Within Temptation's "Pale").
The story starts off as expected of Frozen. Elsa is a young princess with ice powers whose parents, the king and queen, are killed in a storm while at sea. The key difference is that Anna isn't Elsa's younger sister. Jack (of Rise of the Guardians fame) is Elsa's younger brother.
Both siblings are gifted with powers over ice, snow, and wind, but their powers are related to their emotional state. In their grief, they have difficulty controlling their powers. Elsa decides that she's in no state to serve as queen and tries to hand the title to Jack, however Jack doesn't want to become king. This upsets Elsa and causes her powers to go out of control. She proceeds to run to the mountains and away from her responsibilities, but Jack chases after his sister.
After Jack ends up accidentally falling through ice into a lake, he is rescued by a member of the royal guard named Hans. Jack learns of the guard's plans to capture the wayward princess by force. Before that can do that, Jack decides to bring Elsa back himself. In her panicked state, Elsa accidentally hits Jack in the heart with her ice powers. Part 1 ends with Jack frozen by the blast.
The second part begins when an adventurer named Flynn Rider climbs up the mountain and finds Elsa's castle. He convinces Elsa to return to her kingdom. Elsa is crowned queen soon afterwards but she's still haunted by what happened to her brother.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptational Job Change: Hans is a member of the Royal Guard instead of a prince from another land.
- Adapted Out: Anna isn't present in the AU. Neither are Kristoff, Sven, or Rapunzel.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Anna doesn't exist, with Elsa instead having a brother named Jack who shares her ice powers. Elsa never injured Jack as a child and as a result never concealed her powers.
- Crossover: Between Frozen, Rise of the Guardians, and Tangled.
- Crossover Couple: The second part ships Elsa with Flynn.
- Hallucinations: Throughout the second part, Elsa suffers from visions of a frozen version of her brother haunting her.
- Power Incontinence: Elsa and Jack's powers work in relation to their emotions. When angered or stressed, they go out of control.
- Rebellious Princess: Jack is a male example. He won't even wear his proper regalia, preferring casual attire. When Elsa tries to make Jack king, he declines.
- Related in the Adaptation: Jack and Elsa are brother and sister.
- Rescue Romance: After Flynn rescues Elsa from nearly dying up in the mountains, the two fall in love.
- The Runaway: Elsa decides to run away from home to live in seclusion as her grief and stress worsen.
- Sibling Murder: Elsa accidentally freezes Jack but, unlike in Frozen, he doesn't magically unfreeze.