Dusty Smith, better known online as CultOfDusty, is an Atheist vlogger who has been active on Youtube since December 2008. He doesn't solely focus on religious/atheist matters however, most of his content today is about political commentary.
His style is extremely versatile. In some videos he delves into loud, sweary, borderline-comedic rants. In others (mostly the more recent ones) he is very calm, collected and articulate.
Dusty's political opinion has shifted drastically over time. At one point, he focused heavily on the topic of "SJW's", even joining the Alt-Right in support of Donald Trump. Over time however, he came to regret his descision and left. Nowadays, his content is very left-leaning.
His Channel currently has over 250.000 subscribers. Since the so-called "Adpocalpyse", he finances himself almost exclusively over Patreon. In his private life, Dusty owns an animal shelter. He lives somewhere in the Deep South, notably by his accent.
Notable Tropes Invoked by Dusty Smith:
- Alpha Bitch: In his video on You Tube personality Shoe0nhead he refers to her as a "living Mean Girls character".
- Badass Pacifist: Due to being a Free Speech Activist. His Golden Rule is that you can say anything to him, no matter how vile, he would never, ever lay a hand on somebody for it. However, if somebody assaults him, he is not afraid to finish the fight, even using a knife for it.
- Catchphrase: Logic!
- Dark and Troubled Past: Dusty had an uncle with a criminal past, who eventually kidnapped Dusty's then-girlfriend and her mother to extort money from her wealthy family. He was shot dead by the police.
- Deep South: He is from Louisiana. Sometimes he exaggerates his accent for comedic effect.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves animals, even runs a private shelter.
- I Hate Past Me: He has expressed regret over his reactionary phase several times.
- The Kirk: His catchphrase is Logic! but he doesn't approach things completely emotionally detached. In fact, he often calls out people for their callousness.
- Precision F-Strike: Not afraid to use swear words to emphasize a point.
- We Used to Be Friends: He and TJ Kirk were quite close for a while, often doing videos together and even meeting up at cons. Over time however, when Dusty left the Anti-SJW content behind, he often called out TJ and the rest of the Drunken Peasants over their videos and behaviour (up until this day), which lead to a falling out.