The Creepy Puppet Project is a Web Original project on YouTube from the mind of Canadian puppeteer and special effects artist Matt Ficner. The premise is exactly what you think it is: a series of mostly unconnected shorts using puppetry, while using a lot of horror tropes to elicit either that reaction or the other reaction. Either way, it's one of the more entertaining shows on YouTube (and one of the weirdest), with some high-quality writing and excellent production values.
The series contains the following tropes:
- All There in the Manual: Most of the character's names
- Bloody Hilarious: about 50% of their stuff is this.
- Body Horror: Taken Up to Eleven, due to the fact that puppets allow more "freedom" than typical zombie make-up.
- Clock Punk: Doc. Whotnought
- Conspicuous CG: Later videos used green screen backgrounds. It shows.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Yeah, pretty much.
- Funny Background Event: The Cafe segments are all about this.
- Gorn: Some of the scarier videos feature this trope in spades.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Winston, who's always off-key when the Zombies sing.
- Muppets: Almost completely averted. Most of the characters have a distinctly "realistic" look, and the zombies have some... interesting parts about them. The only point that it's played straight is Happy Little Fuzzy Things, which gets promptly subverted.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Singing zombies, need I say more?
- Reverse Cerebus Syndrome: The videos have steadily become sillier since the project first started.
- Widget Series