Conlang Critic is an online Video Review Show created by Mitch Halley, a.k.a. jan Misali. It reviews various constructed languages, also known as "conlangs", while Misali gives his thoughts and opinions about them. The show is available starting here.
This series provides examples of:
- all lowercase letters: Misali's preferred method of typing. Downplayed with how he writes his username—"jan" is in lowercase, but "Misali" itself is properly capitalized.note
- Blowing a Raspberry: Implied while reviewing the joke conlang kay(f)bop(t); after making up a bunch of scientific-sounding names for the facepalm (faciomanual click), clap (percussive bimanual stop), left-click, and right-click (sinistral and dextral lateral clicks), he laments that the language didn't include a "linguolabial trill". note
- Conlang: The entire subject of the show is to cover and critique these—it's kinda in the name.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hoo boy, is it hard to tell if Misali is joking sometimes.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Some older episodes don't go into much detail about some aspects of the conlang. It's also notorious for not really caring that much about the grammar.
- To a lesser extent, the rankings of conlangs among Seasons 1 and 2. By Season 3, jan Misali decided to drift away from this methodology, focusing more on how he feels about conlangs individually, as opposed to how he feels about how they stack up compared to one another.
- Facepalm: The joke conlang kay(f)bop(t) uses the facepalm as part of its phonology. While reviewing the language, Misali coined the pseudo-linguistic term "faciomanual click" for anyone who wants to sound properly scientific when discussing it.
- Infodump: Most of the Lingwa de Planeta episode is dedicated to informing the viewers on the various linguistics concepts that the show deals with.
- No Pronunciation Guide: Averted—jan Misali provides every phonetic sound of every conlang he reviews.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: VötGil gets treated like this, with jan Misali lovingly(?) cracking jokes at its expense on occasion.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few to Rhythm Heaven, couresty of jan Misali being a fan of the series.
- The stinger to Season 3 episodes is set to a rendition of Dreams of Our Generation from Rhythm Heaven Fever.
- The theme song to "How many languages is this interlang compatible with" is the theme to Quiz from Rhythm Tengoku.
- Special Guest: Episode 30, on Sindarin, features Artifexian, a well-known worldbuilding YouTuber.
- Video Review Show: Of conlangs, naturally. Originally, conlangs were ranked amongst compared to one another, but the show downplayed the "review" aspect at the start of Season 3, instead opting to rate conlangs on an individual basis.