Broken Pixels (sometimes spelled Brok3n Pix3ls) was an MST-style video game mockery show on 1up.com that ran from 2006 to 2009. Its longest-lasting and most popular hosts were Seanbaby, Shane Bettenhousen and Crispin Boyer. Many of the games played were ones that had previously been featured on "Worst Games" lists in Electronic Gaming Monthly or Seanbaby's Web site, and thus the hosts tended to have professional history with some of the games, usually because they had been forced to review them before.
The show died off around the same time as EGM did, as 1up.com was bought by UGO Entertainment. It had a brief Spiritual Successor called Shame Night.
Tropes used, called out, or referenced in Broken Pixels include:
- Actually Pretty Funny: The guys get really into some of the games and enjoy themselves.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: An enemy in Red Steel ends up with his face in his own crotch. When the corpse vanishes offscreen, Crispin reasons that anyone who can achieve auto-fellatio can transcend and become pure energy.
- Author Tract: Cripsin believes the author of the Congo instruction manual made all the animal enemies female as a Take That! against an unfaithful ex-wife:"It may sound cute, but she's a fucking whore like my ex-wife!""The spider will fucking nag you to death and then sleep with the guy who cleans the pool."
- Beware the Nice Ones: Crispin, the quiet one, got more foul-mouthed as the show drew to a close."I'm going to choke myself with this cord and masturbate..."
- Black Comedy Rape: One of the most common jokes in Wirehead, where they assume that the bad guys rape Wirehead after each failure.
- Bowdlerise: Some of the videos were re-uploaded with some of Seanbaby's banter cut out or audibly dropped due to taking some language too far (such as referring to Tobey Maguire's dance scene in Spiderman 3 as "the faggiest thing I've ever seen").
- BrotherSister Incest: The crew's theory on the brother and sister featured in Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch: Make My Video.[video shows brother and sister getting physically closer in what's supposed to be dueling staredowns, but looks more like this trope]Crispin: What's going on with the brother and sister—[smash cut to the two of them inexplicably laid out across each other on a shattered bed]Sister: This isn't going to work!Shane: Are the brother and sister in bed?!
- Corpsing: The camera crew can often be heard laughing in the background.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: While playing Bible Adventures:Seanbaby: God, can you get the seagulls off me? I understand that that guy's a heathen, and he's not following your word, but I know that seagull is yours.
"Well played, God."
- Seanbaby then tries out a hydraulic springboard that seems specifically designed to dump Miriam in the river.
- Exploding Barrels: Taken Up to Eleven in Target: Terror, where the baggage storage of an airport is filled with exploding barrels in a variety of colors. The guys posit that they were all confiscated by travelers.
- Four Point Scale:Shane: EGM gave this a 2 back when we used to give everything an 8.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The guys find that the default name in Air Cars is "Fuckchop".
- Gone Horribly Right: How the hero in Virtual Hydlide came to be, according to Shane:Shane: This game was developed in Japan...they needed to hire a white guy to be in the game...and they found one.
- In Name Only: Several of the licensed games the crew plays.Crispin: Is this reminding ANYONE of the hit feature film White Men Can't Jump?Seanbaby: Oh yeah, I'm that Puerto Rican chick. I WANT TO SCREW, BILLY!
- Mistaken for Gay: As usual, Seanbaby insists that Phil Collins is "the championship level of gay."
- Rage Quit: The presenters get so bored with Spider-Man 3 on the Wii that they beg the director to cut. During Lifeline, Shane gets so fed up with the hero that he lunges, screaming, at the screen.
- Spiritual Successor: Shame Night. It was problematic for several reasons: The hosts were dull and had little chemistry. Instead of superimposing the hosts over the game footage, the show would either cram both into the frame, or keep switching back and forth. Instead of editing episodes down to the funniest ten minutes, entire hours of Shame Night would be uploaded raw to 1up.com.
- Stinger: After the credits of some videos.
- Take That!: The guys aren't afraid of poking fun at certain people or stuff they don't like in general.