Following in the footsteps of Retsupurae, Boring Trousers is an online riffing group that makes Let's Play-style YouTube videos. Taking LPs and Fanimes that have Sturgeon's Law in full effect, they mock the heck out of them with humorous group commentary.
Boring Trousers also makes their own joke videos, Let's Plays, podcasts (podcast episodes can be found here—except for episode 3 and onward, which is on their YouTube channel), live streams, and reviews. Their first video was posted in 2010.
Members: Adam, CJ, Snix, Kim, Jay, Joe, and Pez.
Boring Trousers provides examples of:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Podcast: Episode 3: People Are Dumb switches from a variety of subjects, from an online Furry Christian group, "odd" people the Boring Trousers group have met in the past, and a reading of a 2spooky by Adam.
- Angrish: In their podcast Minisode on the L33tStr33t Boys, Adam suffers from this after reading some of their meme-filled song lyrics.
- Anti-Climax: The ending of Let's Watch Mysteriously Different:Character: "What's wrong?"
The main character: "Nothing..."
Boring Trousers members: [Laughter]
CJ: "It's like what we would do! In a joke video!"
- Anything That Moves: Jackson, who is mentioned in The Boring Trousers Podcast: Episode 3: People Are Dumb.Adam: "Jackson likes sex. To an unhealthy degree. To a, 'Dude, you need your priorities [sorted]' degree. To a, 'Dude, girls are things with emotions, not just vaginas, Jackson.'"
- Collared by Fashion: In Cool Collar Bro
- Conspicuous CG: Pointed out in the riff of the Sonic fan film.
- Conspiracy Theories: The "Knuckles Goes to Silent Hill" two-parter video involves the group reading an article talking about the hidden meanings in a Sonic the Hedgehog game.
- Delusions of Doghood:
- Disney Death: In Let's Play Wright Brothers Mysteries, it looks like one of the protagonists has died in a fire.Adam: "Did they just kill off a character?"
Snix: "Is he dead?"
[The other protagonist pulls the character out of the fire.]
- Enforced Trope: In Let's Watch My Life Me, Boring Trousers talk about how the Power of Friendship theme is forced upon the main characters of My Life Me:Snix: Why do they hang out with that orange chick if all they ever do is fight with her?
Kim: I don't know...
CJ: It makes for an interesting show?
Adam: Let me try to explain this show to Snix really quick. Um, these people are in a High School where they have to be forced to hang out with three other people.
Snix: Do these actually exist?
Adam: I hope not!
- Fanime: The source of humor in a lot of their videos.
- Fedora of Asskicking: In My Junglebook Your Confusion, CJ makes a joke that he can only make a post on Tumblr while wearing a fedora.
- Femme Fatalons: Rare Male Example. In The episode 3 of their podcast, Adam talks about a strange man he met at work who had very long, creepy fingernails.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Some of their videos have text that fall into this.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Boring Trousers mentions Katy t3e Penguin of D00m (see meme link here) in this video.
- In Name Only: In Let's Play Wright Brothers Mysteries
- Insane Troll Logic: In episode 3 of their podcast, Boring Trousers reads about a anthroprmophic (but still armless) snake character (Kadeusus) who plays the piano.Kim: [reading the bio] ... 'Brother Kadeusus is the one who can be heard playing the piano-'
CJ: He's a snake! He's got no arms!
Kim: Oh, my God...
Snix: I kinda like to imagine that he just slams his head on the keyboard...
CJ: [reading the description] The above characters are fictional, with the exception of Pastor Otter.
- And later:
Snix: What? How? What?
- Jump Scare: Conversed in this Cat Week video:
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: In their Three Year Anniversary Special, Adam and CJ try to explain to Joe what he missed in Cool Collar Bro, in which an LPer explains why he wears a dog collar. The explanation ends up sounding like the premise of a Shōnen Anime—To the point where it perhaps would have been wiser to have not given an explanation at all:
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: In Let's Play Odd Scanlines (where they mock a badly-filmed camcorder LP), the video is cut short by the LPer's camera falling over. Boring Trousers takes the video's premature end as a form of mercy.Snix: [After the camera falls and cuts to black] "It sounded like he was being attacked by something in real life."
CJ: "It was Slender Man!"
Adam: "Thank you, Slender Man!"
- Occidental Otaku: The love interest in the L33tStr33t Boys song, "Masquerade".
- Off-Model: Boring Trousers often makes fun of the crude animation and art in fanimes.Kim: [Upon seeing a badly-drawn character] Wow. You're really angular today, man.
CJ: You broke both of your wrists? Why aren't you at the hospital?!
Jay: What a babe!
Jay: [A pink blob is shown] Um. What is this pink?
Adam: Is that a... sweating mass of pink?
Kim: No, it's a sakura tree! Baka!
- Out-of-Character Moment: In People Are Dumb, Adam tells a story about how his co-worker, Other!Adam, had verbally defended a woman Jackson was going out with. An action that seemed very out-of-character for Other!Adam. Subverted seconds later:
- Press X to Not Die:
- Rule34: The group accidentally discovers this while browsing the Christian Furry Fellowship website.
- Running Gag: "Is Reicheru okay?" has become somewhat of a running gag since they've watched Blood Raining Night.
- Sidetracked by the Analogy: During Podcast: Episode 3 during the Christian Furry Fellowship segment, Adam starts explaining a Biblical story about Moses, and then...CJ: [Interrupting Adam] Have we become a Bible study podcast?
Adam: Kind of.
- Slave Collar: In Cool Collar Bro, where an LPer explains why he wears a collar:
- Surprise Creepy:
Girl singer: Red. Orange. Yellow. Blue. I just want to be with you!
- The end of The Fanime That Never Was:
[Later in the fanime:]
Girl singer: Pink. Orange. Green. Red. LOVE ME NOW. OR I'LL BE DEAD.
[MS Paint drawing of the main character in a pool of blood]
Joe: Damn! That turned really morbid all of a sudden!
- Tempting Fate: At the beginning of Let's Watch Some BAD... EH... HEH... HUH.... (females!) 1/3:CJ: I think we could all benefit from going back into the past and watching a little of this. What do you think?
Snix: Surely this will be harmless and will not... make us regret our every decision...
- This Is Gonna Suck: In Boring Trouser's Three Year Anniversary Special:Lets Player: Salutations everyone.
Joe: 'Salutations?' Oh, this is gonna be difficult, isn't it?
- Title Confusion:
- Triangle Shades: The dog in I LIVE FOR THE GOLD EXPERIENCE.
- Troll: The Fanime That Never Was, wherein Adam talks about how he was "trolled hard" by creators of a intentionally bad Fanime.
- The Twelve Principles of Animation: The Fanime in Let's Watch METAAALLLLLL is a very, very rare example of what animation looks like when it has competent Arcs, Slow Ins, Squash and Stretch, etc, but very low Appeal.
- Unexplained Accent:
- The Voiceless: Adam talks about a conversation he had with Jackson about one of the girls he went out with:
- Voice of the Legion: The narrator in Sonic Uncut:Deep Voice: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.
Boring Trousers members: Woah.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In Wright Brothers Mysteries, Adam and CJ note this when the protagonist of the game breaks into a museum to steal some files.
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: In Let's Watch Some BAD... EH... HEH... HUH.... (females!) 1/3, Boring Trousers watch a "Baddest" Girls in Videogames countdown list, dripping with cringe-worthy misoginyist comments by the male interviewees. Boring Trousers sums it up:Adam: This is why we can't have nice things!
Boring Trousers has also riffed works with their own Trope pages:
- Blood Raining Night
- Dusk's Dawn
- Fading Hearts
- Illusions Dreams
- L33tStr33t Boys
- My Jungle Book Your Year
- My Life Me
- Tokyo Crystal Mew