Backward Songs with Luke is a long-running web series about finding hidden messages in pop music, as well as other various sources, such as YouTube videos.
While the show follows a plot, and has four seasons, it's possible to watch episodes out of order, as most involve simply interpretting backwards messages. Everything is an effort to learn about and stop The Illuminati, with an underlying mystery about their plans.
Watch it here.
Tropes found in this series:
- Alternate Reality Game: It's light, but it's there, as Luke asks for the audience's help in dealing with The Illuminati by commenting a 3-digit number, and encourages them to help interpret lyrics.
- Backmasking: The show's very premise is that musicians are hiding secret messages in their work for Luke to find by playing the song in reverse.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The series is about listening to backward songs with Luke.
- The Illuminati: The musicians are not only being controlled or threatened by The Illuminati, but they had also kidnapped Luke on at least two occasions due to his research.
- No-Dialogue Episode: "I Need Your Help To Find The Illuminati" features no talking, with Luke silently making hand-gestures and writing to the audience instead.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: There's a creepy moment of the film-reel skipping in "I Need Your Help To Find The Illuminati".
- Vehicular Kidnapping: When captured by The Illuminati, Luke ends up in a dark van.