An Adventure of Sheep and Chicken is a web video launched in October 2017 by the youtuber ILEM World.
The story (divided into six parts) follows Sheep and Chicken, a sheep and a chicken respectively, who head into the forest upon the will of Sheep. Also in this cast is a lost, hungry, hiker. At the end of the first part, the hiker discovers Chicken and plans off-screen to kill him for food. Sheep and Chicken have a minor dispute over the world and getting lost, whereupon Chicken tells Sheep that he met the hiker. The hiker appears to have gone, but then is revealed to have shrinking powers.
The rest of the story follows Sheep trying to save Chicken from the hiker. The video can be seen here.
This work includes the following tropes:
- A Dog Named "Dog": Well, a sheep named Sheep and a chicken named Chicken.
- Absentee Actor: Sheep doesn't appear at all in Part Four.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: All characters seen in the short are various colours of the rainbow(Sheep, Red. Chicken, Blue. Hiker, Blue.)
- Anti-Villain: The hiker, who has sunk to desperation of killing a sentient creature (Chicken) out of hunger, changes his motives and helps saves Chicken's friend, Sheep. However, he only doesn't kill and eat Chicken because he fails to capture him, although turning this again it is suggested that he feels such guilt at the fact he would have killed Chicken that this is why he chooses to help.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Sheep's excuse to leave the forest says that he (rightfully) doesn't feel safe with hikers around, and there's no good grass to eat.
- Big Bad: The Hiker for the first half of the video. He wants to eat Chicken.
- Cliffhanger: The story never tells the viewer what happens to Sheep and Chicken after they arrive at the farm. The cliffhanger is solved by a comic here: https://ilemworld.weebly.com/sheep-and-chicken.html
- There is also a mini one at the end of Part Two
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: All blue characters and red characters have dialogue in their respective colors.
- Contrived Coincidence: Sheep being too slow to catch the hiker.Sheep: I'll catch you... if I could run!
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The Hiker is only referred to as 'a hiker' or 'the hiker'. His real name is never revealed.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The title of the web video names the two main characters and describes what the web video is about: an adventure that the two main characters (Sheep and Chicken) were going on.
- The Faceless: Because the characters look like 2-D paper cut-outs, no one in the video has a face except Chicken. His visage is revealed at 4:06.
- Foreshadowing: It is mentioned in the middle of the second part that the hiker has the power to shrink things at will. At the end of the same part, the hiker shrinks Chicken and steals him
- Good All Along: The hiker only wanted to capture Chicken because he was hungry. After realizing he wouldn't be able to catch anything after losing Chicken, he ends up helping Sheep.
- Minimalist Cast: There are only three main characters in the entire video. In fact, there are no more than three people in any scene in the video.
- Non-Protagonist Resolver: The protagonists of the story are Sheep and Chicken, but the heroes who save the day are really the hiker and a helicopter crew. The hiker sets a forest fire to get the attention of firefighters to save Sheep, and a few helicopter pilots save both Sheep and Chicken.
- Noodle Incident: The whole reason why Chicken doesn't want to go to his home farm is never explained.
- Parody: An Journey of Shep and Chiken(AJOSAC) created by ILEM Universe. AJOSAC's first episode parodies the original video. Every word of dialogue is spelt incorrectly, and the video itself is sped up to 36 seconds. The second episode, which is much better, doesn't explain what happened to Shep and Chiken between Episode One and Episode Two.