Welcome to Silent Hill is an interactive fanfiction story created by Ms. Penguin that is hosted on Writing.Com. True to its name the reader finds themselves waking up in the titular town and must find a way to escape, preferably with their sanity still intact. First created in 2006 with over 400 chapters (and counting) Welcome to Silent Hill is one of the oldest and most popular interactives on the entire site.
This work contains the following tropes:
- Anyone Can Die: Including the main character, naturally.
- Downer Ending: There are plenty of endings like this as would be expected from an interactive based on the Silent Hill franchise.
- Featureless Protagonist: The main character is supposed to be the reader himself/herself so they aren't really fleshed out beyond being a scared individual who wakes up in Silent Hill. Of course, people who make additions can flesh out the character however they want.
- Long Runner: It's over a decade old and has about 500 total chapters.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Like the original work its based on this interactive gets a lot of mileage out of this trope to keep the reader unnerved.
- Ominous Fog: Of course, it just wouldn't be Silent Hill without some of this.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: One of the first weapons a reader can find is a .38 caliber revolver in the diner.
- Town with a Dark Secret: This interactive is based on the Silent Hill series after all.