Set in the 1900s, the show follows Christopher Marlowe, a college professor who's obsession with finding the Ningyo has all but killed his credibility in the scientific community. After pretending to turn over his piece of a map he's certain will lead him to it, Christopher finds he's been sent a note that contains the skull of a Melusine. The note leads him to a mysterious person living in an underground mansion with a large collection of live cryptids. The man offers Christopher the chance to go find the Ningyo and regain his credibility.
The Ningyo contains examples of:
- Bioluminescence Is Cool: The Ningyo in Christopher's Imagine Spot has blue glowing spots all along its body and fins.
- The Cassandra: Nobody believes Christopher's claims that The Ningyo exists.
- Collector of the Strange: The person who summoned Christopher has a large collection of cryptids in his home.
- Great White Hunter: Christopher Marlowe is a former one. He gave it up after killing an Okapi.
- How We Got Here: The show begins with Christopher entering a dark cavern, picking up a lantern, and getting attacked by a rattlesnake, before it cuts back to why he's there.
- Imagine Spot: Christopher has one about him finding The Ningyo. Then he starts to train a harpoon gun on it, but can't bring himself to fire. It leads him to reject the offer to go hunting the Ningyo.
- MacGuffin: Christopher's piece of the map to The Ningyo.
- Seldom-Seen Species: The video has an okapi as part of Christopher Marlowe's backstory.