Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter refers to the official Twitter account of the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise, which can be found here. Since June 2015, it has been run by Aaron Webber a.k.a. RubyEclipse, a long-time fan of the series. It is known as being one of the most amusing social media campaigns for its witty usage of memes, in-jokes, and fanservice.
The account has hosted four "Sonic Twitter Takeovers", where Sonic and some of his co-stars answer fans in-character. They have also been voiced over by the official English cast.
On June 18 2020, after a five year run, it was announced that Aaron Webber would be departing the social media team due to a promotion within Sega.
Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: During the second Twitter takeover, Eggman kidnaps Ezio Auditore and holds him for ransom. Ezio and Sonic are both voiced by Roger Craig Smith.
- Artifact Title: The Twitter Takeover was called so because Eggman took over the Twitter account and attempted to the second time. The third and fourth time have no similar event occurring, but are still called Takeovers regardless.
- Ascended Meme: One of the most popular things about the account is that it's very social media aware, and often adopts memes about the characters as long as they're harmless - for example, once hosting an official "& Knuckles" themed photography competition. During the Takeovers, this includes responses to and acknowledgement of those memes by the actual characters themselves, like the constant references to the "Damn Fourth Chaos Emerald" with Shadow.
- Attack Its Weak Point: One question asks why Eggman puts obvious weak points on all of his creations. Apparently, he does it in case they decide to go rogue on him.
- Brick Joke:
- A question regarding Shadow only being able to move fast because of his rocket shoes ends with Shadow unleashing a Chaos Blast. A few tweets later, he reveals that he destroyed the robots Eggman was going to ambush him with using that exact same Chaos Blast.
- When Tails arrives at the beginning of the fourth takeover, Sonic nervously asks if he brought Knuckles with him. Six hours later, it's revealed that he had a certain red echidna destroy Eggman's base while he was distracted.
- When the Sonic Twitter wished everyone a happy St. Patrick's day in March 2019, Jacksepticeye jokingly asked if he could voice "Irish the Hedgehog", and the account responds he totally could... they just need to make the character first. Come St. Paddy's 2020, and the official Sonic accounts post a video of Irish introducing himself, voiced by Jack himself.
- The Comically Serious: Shadow talks about his eccentricities and threatens fans with the same snarling tone.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- The first Takeover did not always have anyone read the question.
- The account prior to June 2015 was quite different than it's current incarnation. While it was a bit humorous, it was much more standard and corporate in nature and less witty than what it would eventually become when Aaron Webber took over.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Eggman finds a question asking Shadow about Maria to be in poor taste.
- Even the Subtitler Is Stumped: The subtitles next to Irish's character art turn into strings of question marks in the "Irish the Hedgehog" video as Irish's speech goes completely into Irish slang.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: The cast occasionally piles threats on the real world tweets, for fun. In Takeover 3, Shadow puts the fan who asked him "how's Maria" on "The List". In Takeover 4, Eggman outright calls out Egoraptor.
- Go-Karting with Bowser:
- For the second and third takeovers, the heroes and villains hang out, answer questions, and make light jabs at each other. Sent up with one response, where Sonic and Eggman claim that they're totally mortal enemies, before Eggman asks Sonic if he wants any leftover chili dogs.
- It's eventually revealed that both sides were plotting against each other during the fourth takeover. They're still amicable during the other questions, though.
- Homage: "Irish the Hedgehog" is made like the character story introductions from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, with scrolling text transcribing the character's monologue on the left and Adventure-styled art for Irish on the right, and an Irish jig styled remix of "Escape from the City" playing in the background.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shadow actually regularly gives rings to charity, despite how he presents himself.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Inverted with Shadow; he's a stoic jerk, but he's obsessed with cats.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Shadow is shown to be unaware of events that happened before his debut on two separate occasions.
- Mood Whiplash: The takeovers are generally goofy fun, with the fourth being no different... until they get to a question about where Shadow likes to shop; Sonic and Eggman crack jokes at his expense, but immediately hush up when Shadow reveals his go-to store shares its name with his dead friend and the person he's dedicated most of his life towards, Maria.Sonic: Oh, its gotta be that store with all the edgy clothing and goth stuff. What is it, Lukewarm Topic?
Eggman: I bet its the Halloween shop down the street! I saw him wearing a cape once.
Shadow: What? Those are both fine establishments, by the way, but I do my shopping at the local convenience store. It's called... "Maria's".
Eggman: [gasps quietly]
Tails: Oh, wait, um, Maria was...
Sonic: Oh, wow, sorry. I I didn't mean to
Shadow: No. No, it's fine. As long as I can keep supporting some Maria out there in the world, I... at least feel like I'm making it a better place.
Eggman: This question turned out to be quite the emotional rollercoaster.
- Oireland: Irish the Hedgehog, a St. Patrick's Day themed Original Generation character courtesy of a Brick Joke between Jacksepticeye and the Twitter account, speaks with a stereotypical Irish accent and uses various nonsensical Irish-sounding phrases that the subtitles completely fail to keep up with.
- Real Men Take It Black: Parodied; Shadow is so hardcore that he just eats plain coffee beans.
- Running Gag:
- The cast singing the Macarena, which is repeated about once per takeover.
- Since the second takeover, another is Sonic receiving at least one question regarding how he feels about Amy, and Sonic dodging the question every time.
- Self-Deprecation: Even Sonic himself is embarrassed by Sonic '06.
- Ship Sinking: Invoked Takeover 3 had Eggman receive a file from Infinite called "Sonadow", which Sonic immediately yells at him not to open, and when Shadow is asked about it his response was a blunt "One word... No."
- Ship Tease: Multiple Takeovers have had fans query Sonic over if he returns Amy's affections, and every time it's happened, he dodges the question somehow. Takeover 4 has him literally run away after Eggman, Tails and Shadow begin playfully teasing him over Amy. Tails even Lampshades this when it happens in Takeover 4.Tails: Wow, he's not normally like that. Well, one thing's for sure now; the Sonamy fans are gonna go nuts.
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Shadow tries to quote his infamous "Damn fourth Chaos Emerald" line, only to get foiled by SEGA censoring him. In real time. Tails is fascinated and Eggman applauds the technological feat.
- Tranquil Fury: Shadow issues a calm Implied Death Threat when Mudkip_Captain mocks him about Maria.
- You Wanna Get Sued?: