Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter refers to the official Twitter account of the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise, which can be found here. Since June 2015, it has been run by Aaron Webber a.k.a. RubyEclipse, a long-time fan of the series.
The account has a number of gag posts and has hosted four "Sonic Twitter Takeovers", where Sonic and some of his co-stars answer fans in-character. They have also been voiced over by the official English cast.
Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: During the second Twitter takeover, Eggman kidnaps Ezio Auditore and holds him for ransom. Ezio and Sonic are both voiced by Roger Craig Smith.
- Artifact Title: The Twitter Takeover was called so because Eggman took over the Twitter account and attempted to the second time. The third and fourth time have no similar event occurring, but are still called Takeovers regardless.
- Ascended Meme: One of the most popular things about the account is that it's very social media aware, and often adopts memes about the characters as long as they're harmless - for example, once hosting an official "& Knuckles" themed photography competition. During the Takeovers, this includes responses to and acknowledgement of those memes by the actual characters themselves (like the constant references to the "Damn Fourth Chaos Emerald" with Shadow).
- Berserk Button: Shadow is rather sensitive over the theory that he can only move fast because of his rocket shoes.
- Brick Joke: The response where Shadow's Berserk Button is pressed (see above) ends with him unleashing a Chaos Blast. A few tweets later, he reveals that he destroyed the robots Eggman was going to ambush him with... with that exact same Chaos Blast.
- Cuteness Proximity: Sonic, Tails, Shadow, and Eggman all love Chao, though Shadow and Eggman are in denial about it.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first Takeover did not always have anyone read the question.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Eggman finds a question asking Shadow about Maria to be in poor taste.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: The cast occasionally piles threats on the real world tweets, for fun. In Takeover 3, Shadow puts the fan who asked him "how's Maria" on "The List". In Takeover 4, Eggman outright calls out Egoraptor.
- Go-Karting with Bowser:
- For the second and third takeovers, the heroes and villains hang out, answer questions, and make light jabs at each other. Sent up with one response, where Sonic and Eggman claim that they're totally mortal enemies, and then Eggman asks Sonic if he wants any leftover chili dogs.
- It's eventually revealed that both sides were plotting during the fourth takeover. They're still amicable during the other questions, though.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shadow actually regularly give rings to charity, despite how he presents himself.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Inverted with Shadow. He's a stoic jerk, but he's obsessed with cats.
- Real Men Take It Black: Parodied. Shadow is so hardcore that he just eats plain coffee beans.
- Running Gag:
- The cast singing the Macarena, which is repeated about once per takeover.
- Since the second, another is Sonic receiving at least one question regarding how he feels about Amy, and Sonic dodging the question every time.
- Self-Deprecation: Even Sonic himself is embarrassed by Sonic '06.
- Ship Sinking: Takeover 3 had Eggman receive a file from Infinite called "Sonadow", which Sonic immediately yells at him not to open, and when Shadow was asked about it his response was a blunt "One word... No."
- Ship Tease: Multiple Takeovers have had fans query Sonic over if he returns Amy's affections, and every time it's happened, he dodges the question somehow. Takeover 4 has him literally run away after Eggman, Tails and Shadow begin playfully teasing him over Amy. Tails even Lampshades this when it happens in Takeover 4.Tails: Wow, he's not normally like that. Well, one thing's for sure now; the SonAmy fans are gonna go nuts.
- Shipper on Deck: Infinite apparently ships Sonic and Shadow.
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Shadow tries to quote his infamous "Damn fourth Chaos Emerald" line... only to get foiled by SEGA somehow managing to censor him in real time.
- Take That!: A couple at Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), and at unpaid internships.
- Tranquil Fury: Shadow issues a calm Implied Death Threat when Mudkip_Captain mocks him about Maria.
- You Wanna Get Sued?: