The reader plays as the commander of what is essentially a scouting unit for the Terran Empire. The story takes place on Paradise, a planet of hostile natives, ancient treasures, and rival empires and alliances that have their own ideas for Paradise.
Tropes in Paradise Violated include:
- Artificial Intelligence: The captain discovers an A.I. was created by Xont as a representation of the extinct Gequek civilization.
- The Empire: The Terran Empire, which has been making great expansions throughout space.
- Lawful Stupid: Lieutenant LaFleur, whom the captain has to remind that the regulations are flexible and not always the best way to do things on Paradise.
- Lizard Folk: The native inhabitants of Paradise are simply referred to as Lizards by the protagonist.
- Lost Technology: The Xont are a semi-mythical people that supposedly had powerful and highly advanced technology. They did, and they had it on Paradise.
- Military Brat: LaFleur is from a military family and is only on Paradise because of his father's expectations.