Creamsicle is an internet meme that began life on tumblr in May 2012, and spawned an enormous fandom literally overnight. It started off when tumblr user beekkake made a drawing poking fun at stereotypes about girls who use tumblr and Facebook. Another user made Fan Art of the two girls kissing, which led to numerous jokes about Shipping them together, with the Idiosyncratic Ship Name of "Creamsicle". Less than a week later, there were hundreds of fanfics, art, comics, and even Filk Songs based on Creamsicle, as well as Spin-Off characters. Most of this stuff can be found here.
The two characters are referred to as Snowflake and Sunglasses or Normal-chan and Other Girl-sempai (or simply Normal and Other).
Compare Virgin vs. Chad.
Creamsicle provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: The entirety of the Creamsicle fandom is arguably a big fat meta-parody of itself and of fandom in general.
- Depending on the Artist: Is the black stripe around Sunglasses's chest a bra, a censor bar, or a very small shirt? What are their eye colors?
- Depending on the Writer: Since there is no official canon, Sunglasses and Snowflake's characterizations may vary depending on who's writing them. Their basic personalities don't change much (Sunglasses is a sexy party girl, Snowflake is a nerd who writes fanfiction), but any details beyond that are entirely up to the writer.
- Geodesic Cast: Many of the spin-off characters are basically variations of Sunglasses and Snowflake, but parodying different stereotypes. For example, Prep and Emo, or Lady K and Shibuyah.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Snowflake, Sunglasses, and the various spin-off characters are often referred to with Japanese Honorifics.
- Fanon: Again, there is no official canon, so pretty much every fanfic written about them is based entirely on fanon.
- Hair-Contrast Duo: Three guesses who (and the first two don't count).
- Hime Cut: Good Anime Fan has this hairstyle.
- Iconic Outfit:
- Idiosyncratic Ship Naming: One girl is orange and the other white, like Creamsicles, which are orange on the outside and white on the inside.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Princess Fandom-chan and Captain Shipping-chan are anthropomorphic personifications of fandom and shipping, respectively.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Depending on whose fanfic you're reading, Sunglasses and Snowflake are either examples of this trope, or their names really are Sunglasses and Snowflake.
- Opposites Attract: The entire point of the pairing, and most of the spin-off pairings as well.
- Poe's Law: The original picture was a parody of the concept of Not Like Other Girls. It was misunderstood as being in earnest by a large crowd, which led to people shipping them in defiance and starting the whole fandom.
- Rule 63: Sunglasses and Snowflake have been drawn as men on more than one occasion.
- Self-Deprecation: Snowflake embodies almost every stereotype about fanfic writers who use tumblr. Most of the people who write stories and make art about her are fanfic writers who use tumblr.
- Seme & Uke: Lots of Fan Art shows Snowflake as the uke to Sunglasses's seme. Usually Played for Laughs.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Sunglasses, if you see the black stripe as being a censor bar.
- Spear Counterpart: /r9k/ (itself part of a website thought to be the spear counterpart to Tumblr) ended up making a chart about the "Virgin Walk" vs. the "Chad Stride", whose roots matched up with Creamsicle's original parody chart. Since then, "Virgin" and "Chad" have been outright drawn as acquaintances of Sunglasses and Snowflake.
- Special Snowflake Syndrome: Snowflake's name alludes to this.
- Stealth Parody: The original drawing was supposed to be a parody of self-righteous hipsters. A lot of people didn't get the joke.
- Stop Being Stereotypical:
- Good Anime Fan and Bad Anime Fan, with Bad Anime Fan representing the weeaboo stereotype.
- Also, Ally the Social Justice Knight's evil twin, Social Justice Sally.
- Yaoi Fangirl:
- Snowflake writes Slash Fic.
- One of the spin-off characters, Bad Anime Fan. She even wears a shirt that says "Yaoi."
- Yuri Fan: It's not uncommon to see Snowflake as one of these.