Monster's Garden is an ongoing webcomic.
The Zid'ral known as 'Kilo Monster' is a professional fighting champion, with only three defeats in his career. Forced to fend for himself as a child in the city, and due to a genetic mutation that grants him extreme strength and a resistance to the arcane, Kilo is a force to be reckoned with in or out of the ring. As a champion, Kilo has everything he needs: his garden, which he cares for every day, a home, and peace of mind.
His life is turned around, however, when he happens to meet three particular people: NIKA, a sentient A.T.L.A.S, or Arcane Technology Lifeform Automated System, who has been separated from her two friends and fellow protagonists: Jaymi Andrews (an Engineering major who aims to continue her father's, Dr. Joseph Andrews's, research) and her brother, Lt. Todd Andrews, a huge fan of Kilo's.
There is a character sheet.
Tropes Associated with the web comic:
- All There in the Manual: Word of God updates readers on the comic's world and characters on her Tumblr. Some details (like Kilo and Todd's relationship) are so emphatic that they cannot be considered spoilers.
- And I Must Scream:Todd: "If I could stop it, you wouldn't need to tell me to, would you?! Why don't you stop worrying, okay?!"
- Animal Superheroes: Kilo himself is part of a reptilian race called the Zi'Dral, who are often seen as animalistic.
- Bara Genre/Fanservice: Not in the webcomic itself, but invoked in some of the additional official art for Kilo and Todd. Tends to be a tad mature in nature (plenty of closeness and occasional kissing), but never too explicit for R-rated.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Mutual, between Kilo and Todd. Todd, it is not a good idea to shoot Kilo inside Kilo's own home. Yes, Kilo, we know Todd has a pretty face, and because of Word of God we know how hot you think he is. Kilo breaks Todd's hand, and yet Todd grins, blushes and gossips like a fangirl that he got to meet Kilo.
- Beast Man: Has a few, but the ones mostly seen so far are the Zi'dral, a reptilian race, and an unknown dog-like race.
- Blessed with Suck: Kilo's rare mutation grants him extreme strength, endurance, and an immunity to the arcane. It also makes the outside world view him as nothing more than a dumb brute only capable of throwing punches in the right places, and it makes it difficult to interact with a world that's really not built for an 8-foot-10 giant.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- NIKA (Sanguine)
- Jaymi (Choleric)
- Kilo (Melancholic)
- Todd (Phlegmatic)
- Interrupted Intimacy: In a brief one-shot comic panel published on Tumblr (not actually in the comic), the artist drew a humorous scene showing the aftermath of a situation where 7-year-old Ayshia abruptly walks in on Kilo and Todd in their underwear while the two were kissing and becoming intimate.Ayshia: (blushing) OMG Kilo! You were kissing Todders! Does that mean yer gonna get married?! Can I be the flower girl! I have lots of flowers! I'd do a good job! How come you weren't wearing any clothes? Aren't ya cold? Gosh this is so beautiful!Kilo: (blushing but calm) Why don't I tuck you in, sunshine?Todd: (Corner of Woe, muttering quietly to himself) Oh God a kid just walked in on me trying to have sex with a monster. I am pretty sure I could go to prison for that! God, what will mom think?!
- Misblamed: After Kilo fights Nigellus and digs himself out of the rubble, the Peacekeepers assume on the spot that he's hostile and start shooting at him...which only provokes him. He is then arrested for assault. The bad publicity causes the fighters' league to immediately strip him of all his championships and suspend him from fighting indefinitely.
- Official Couple: Word of Gay is that Kilo and Todd will eventually become this in-universe, but that it will not be a significant part of the story. The creator has drawn plenty of romantic art of them though.
- Our Elves Are Different: The Rokkchians of Rokk'che, of which Nigellus is a member. You'd expect them to keep to the typical elf stereotype, but really, they're just regular people with prehensile pointy ears.
- Running Gag: Characters keep calling Todd a dumbass. Especially Kilo and Jaymi.
- Wham Episode: Todd's fight with a fellow train passenger that gives us the first taste of his Heroic BSoD. But that incident is nothing compared to Nigellus's rampage at the university.