Welcome to Capital City! You'll hate it here. There's something in the water, corruption is everywhere and weird illnesses and phenomenons plague the daily life of every citizen. But not to worry, for in a small back-alley clinic, there's treatments for every disease. For a price, of course.
Clinic of Horrors is a horror-comedy webcomic written by Merryweatherey and drawn by PokuriMio with character designs created by Satchel the artist of Doki Doki Literature Club!. While not as well-known as Merryweatherey's more popular works, such as parody-comic I Made A Comic About Internet Explorer and horror-romance Stalker x Stalker, it has gathered a significant fan-base on it's own, due to it's creative setting, cool visuals and quirky, likable characters. The comic is available for free on Webtoon.
"Clinic of Horrors" features examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Bianca's mother was extremely emotionally abusive to her. There is no mention of what her father was like, but judging by the flashback in Don't Bother Strangers, that was probably intentional on her mother's part.
- Anti-Villain: The employee of the Eternal Gaming Café that shows Bianca around. When Bianca attacks him and he grabs her in self defense, he lets go of her as soon as she tells him to. Notably, this is the only time he drops his smile with what seems to be an expression of remorse. On the other hand, everyone in the EGC chooses to be there and can leave anytime they want. He won't attack anyone or force them into something they don't want, he just has no recognition that it's wrong to provide someone with their wants until they're prioritizing that over their needs.
- Back-Alley Doctor: Dr. Albright, who runs the Albright Clinic.
- Bandage Babe: Bianca is a cute nurse who wears band-aids all over her arms. Some episodes occasionally have her switch to bandages around her lower arms and neck.
- Combat Medic: Bianca knows enough self-defense to hold a grown man down on the floor and she uses her syringes expertly.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: If you've lived in Capital City long enough, you get used to just about anything.
- Crapsack World: If the permanently gray sky, the rancid living conditions and the fact that the comic takes place in a skeevy back-alley clinic hasn't clued you in, Capital City is not really the nicest place to live.
- Deadpan Snarker: If Bianca ever cracks a joke, expect it to be a snarky one-liner at someone else's expense.
- Ditzy Genius: Dr. Albright seems more interested in playing video games than in running his clinic, but he's nonetheless a very competent doctor and a talented pharmacist.
- Eldritch Abomination:
- Capital City has these in abundance. You'd be hard-pressed to find an episode that doesn't have some weird, creepy monster-creature in it.
- Bianca's classmate Michaelis is a horrifying flesh blob-monster who uses pheromones to make himself look like a normal, attractive human.
- The Abomination arc centers around a particularly nasty one. It takes Bianca, Dr. Albright and an entire squadron of surgeons to separate it from it's host.
- Everyone Has Standards: While the clinic does profit from those who can't get sleep by injecting them with something that can shut their brain off for about a minute, Bianca notes in her journal it's recommended you get some natural sleep.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The two people who haul away the Eternal Gaming Cafe customer at the end of the titular arc are disgusted by how the Cafe treats its clientele. It doesn't stop them from taking him away, though.
- Faux Affably Evil: The employee of the Eternal Gaming Café that shows Bianca around. He's perfectly friendly, always smiling, and doesn't once take offence to how she refers to him of the business. On the other hand, he's completely willing to let customers wither and rot under his care so long as they get what they pay for. The crux of the matter seems to be consent. When Bianca attacks him and he grabs her in self defense, he lets go of her as soon as she tells him to. Notably, this is the only time he drops his smile with what seems to be an expression of remorse. On the other hand, everyone in the EGC chooses to be there and can leave anytime they want. He won't attack anyone or force them into something they don't want, he just has no recognition that it's wrong to provide someone with their wants until they're prioritizing that over their needs.
- Greater-Scope Villain: The events of the Abomination arc are the results of an experiment conducted by a mysterious Mister Yellow. The episode right after shows him taking interest in Dr. Albright and it's implied he plans on unleashing even more havoc on Capital City.
- Hidden Depths: Dr. Albright might be a bit lazy and a ditz, but he truly cares for his assistant Bianca. He takes her education very seriously, openly warns her away from Dirty Business and encourages her to come out of her shell more. In episode 31 it's implied he has a Dark and Troubled Past that he doesn't like to talk about.
- Invisible to Normals: Michaelis' pheromones don't work on Bianca due to the clinic providing her with vacciantions. To everyone else, he looks like an attractive young man.
- Nothing Is Scarier: We don't see what Eternal Gaming Café's "Premium Package" looks like, but whatever it is, it's apparently enough to horrify Bianca, and even the EGC employee admits that it takes some getting used to looking at.
- Perpetual Frowner: Bianca's only expressions are variations of the same disinterested scowl. Though, given the fact that she lives in a rundown city crawling with monsters and diseases and spent her childhood with a mother who made it a misery, you can't really fault her for that.
- Pointless Band-Aid: Bianca has band-aids patched all over her arms. Nobody knows what they're for.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Bianca is a Deadpan Snarker and never smiles, but she's also a very dedicated nurse and has stood up to defend innocent people more than once over the course of the comic. The Eternal Gaming Café has her investigate and thoroughly chew out a gaming café that lets it's customers play video games for days on end, without taking sufficient measures to ensure they'll stay in good health. She herself was neither one of it's victims, nor does she really know anyone there. She just intervenes because it's the right thing to do and these people need help.
- Little Miss Badass: Bianca may be small and petite, but she's not afraid to jam a syringe into someone to defend herself and is very adept in self-defense.
- Writing Around Trademarks: Episode #11 has Dr. Albright and Bianca playing "Last Fantasy Online."
- You Get What You Pay For: During your time in the Eternal Gaming Café, you can pay extra for various features that will help mitigate the effects of such a lack of physical activity or care... or you can simply pay a pittance each month to receive a frequent flood of painkillers so you can simply ignore the damage your body is undergoing. The state of the customers that opt for the latter is not pretty.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bianca has light pink hair. It's a trait she shares with her mother.