YouTube Poop (often referred to by its shorthand, "YTP") is a Neo-Dada art form consisting of video remixes that are edited from a large array of video clips in order to confuse, stun or entertain the viewer. The source material can be mashed all together into a nonsensical Crossover story, or just repeat footage of the characters gesticulating oddly or apparently saying something dirty over and over and over again. There are also well-known phrases used such as "PINGAS" or "Do a Barrel Roll!".
YouTube Poop started with a guy named SuperYoshi testing out Windows Movie Maker, a new piece of software he found in his newly installed Windows XP, using the episode "Recycled Koopa" from The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. The result was a video containing a few clips from the episode repeated and used in a random manner. Later he put this video as "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 Remixed" on December 22, 2004, up on his SheezyArt page. The video was well-received, and SuperYoshi together with his friend RetroJape made similar remixes using the Mega Man cartoon and later Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. A few more of SuperYoshi's friends joined and started putting their videos on YouTube in order to confuse and anger people who were otherwise looking for regular Super Mario or AoSTH videos. The first three Poops have been brought to YouTube later as I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL, Dr. Light's Guidance System Show and Robotnik's Sodomy Fest of 2005, respectively.
Interestingly, precursors to YouTube Poop can be found in:
- Daffy Duck in Hollywood, a 1938 short in which Daffy edits a film reel to produce this.
- "Hoch der Lambeth Valk", a World War II-era propaganda short that edits footage of Nazi parades to make the soldiers look like they're dancing.
- Cult Toons, a TV show made for Cartoon Network UK that mixed old Hanna-Barbera cartoons like The Perils of Penelope Pitstop with wrestling, kung fu, and blaxploitation movies for cheap laughs.
- The opening of the VeggieTales video "The End of Silliness?!" in which Larry the Cucumber is having flashbacks of past events in a bizarre manner.
- Richard Nixon even put out an attack ad on Hubert Humphrey in the 1968 presidential campaign that bears a surprising similarity to Poop conventions.
Going further back, YouTube Poop can be compared to the Dada art movement of the early 20th century, which was based on being nonsensical.
It was not until people like The Electric Cheese got to know about these videos and started making ones themselves that the term "YouTube Poop" was used for them and that they increased in popularity.
With the growing popularity, YouTube Poop shifted from being videos that confuse people who were looking for regular videos (in fact, the people who started it are more fond of "WTF?" comments than people commenting or repeating the parts they liked in the video and were dismissive of the term "YouTube Poop" for a long time) to videos that entertain people by using video sources that have become iconic with the name YouTube Poop.
The genre suffered a decline in popularity during The New '10s, in part due to the copyright takedowns and other forms of using extensive editing for humor showing up. This resulted in many members of the scene either moving on to other forms or retiring altogether. The ones that did come out were much more sophisticated, with higher quality in animation, editing, and sentence mixing. This led to debate over whether they should be considered the same genre as earlier YouTube Poops.
Although most of the YouTube Poop videos are made in English, there are videos produced in other languages, too, e.g. in Russian (called "RYTP" = "Russian YouTube Poop"), German (German YouTube Poop is commonly called "YouTube-Kacke" and is a literal translation of the original name), Spanish ("YTPH" = YouTube Poop Hispano), Brazilian Portuguese ("YTPB" = YouTube Poop Brasil), Finnish ("STP" = SinäTuubaPaska, literally "You Tuba Shit"), and many others. However, many of these foreign YTP's have yet to gain exposure among the English-speaking Poopers (as doing Foreign Remake versions of them would be impossible knowing what happened to Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and the MyNetworkTV telenovelas) despite them having memes of their own (for example STP turned the Dolf episodes of Alfred J. Kwak into a meme and so did YTPH and YTPB with Don Ramon from El Chavo del ocho).
YouChew was the biggest (unofficial) forum for YTP on the Internet from 2007 until its closure in September 2018, but you can still have a gander at its archive.
- Gold Is Where You Find Itnote
- Adventures In Hyrule
- Beauty And The Beastiality
- Captain Hook Wins The Lottery
- Daffy Makes A Poop
- Diamond Is Unbreakable Retold
- Dinner Blaster
- Doctor Who Poop
- Ethan Mars Is Gay
- The Frying Nemo Saga
- The Garfield YTP Collab
- Gaston Is Fed Up With The Kings Tax Policies
- The Gaston Trilogy
- The Grand Galloping Collab
- Haruhi Farts
- IM Meen Gets A Job
- The Kings Epic Adventure
- Krusty Krab Training Video Bootleg Edition
- Link And The Hyrule Gang
- The LOL King
- The Misadventures of Skooks
- Mr Krabs Unquenchable Blood Lust
- NextG Poop
- The Nightmare before Christmas Who: Skellington's Revenge
- The Spooge Monster
- Steven Jewniverse
- Toys Gone Wild
- West Bitches
- The Worst Sonic Fanfiction Ever
- Sonic Generations Directors Cut
- Yoo Gees Undying Love For Portable Consoles
- Zim Tortures Dib With An Annoying Eurobeat Song
- The Dark Hobbit Saga
- 256PiAlternate (account)
- Amateur YTP (Channel here)
- Baconated Grapefruits (original account terminated due to multiple copyright claims, an incomplete archive of her videos can be found here)
- BenPictures1 (Channel)
- cartoonlover98 (retired; account; backup account)
- cheetahmen92 (original account closed; current YTP account; Let's Play account; unlicensed gaming account; also has an account on this very site, though it isn't used much)
- ChickenPika (Channel)
- Cory the Norm (Channel)
- cs188 (Channel; has a backup account as well)
- DaThings1 (Channel; also has a backup channel, just in case)
- Deepercutt (retired; account)
- DurhamRockerZ (account)
- EmperorLemon (account; backup account)
- Geibuchan (account)
- FlyingKitty (account; backup account)
- HassanLechkar (account)
- Hoffy1138 (account)
- Hour Of Poop
- Hurricoaster (account)
- I Am The Gang (retired; account)
- iteachvader (account)
- Jack Duripper (account)
- Jimmy Davis (account)
- Jittery Dragon (account closed, memorial account)
- KroboProductions (second backup account)
- Lulu Luvscats (account)
- Mark3611 (original account hacked; new account suspended; memorial account)
- MoBrosStudios (out of retirement; account; second account; also has an animation review channel called Anim8Ball)
- NextG Poop
- Nintendo Brad (account closed)
- Noonog (account)
- NPCarlsson (here)
- Ricesnot (account)
- Schaffrillas Productions (account)
- Stets Uninu
- Stuart K Reilly (here)
- TomServo3 (backup account; second backup account)
- TrailerPoopers (account, backup account)
- Trinzilla (account)
- Trudermark (retired; account)
- Voltalia (Channel)
- Walrusguy (semi-retired; still making videos though, albeit at a slower pace; memorial account; original account)
- Waxonator (account here, reuploaded videos)
- Wileyk209zback (Account here)
- WTL Network (Current account, fan-made reuploads account)
- Adaptational Alternate Ending: There are plenty of poops that follow the events of their primary source relatively closely, only to suddenly veer off in a completely different direction:
- YTP: Sharp Talk goes through the events of Shark Tale as they happened in the movie (albeit with many more references to other shows), only to suddenly change when Oscar, Lenny and Sykes get to Don Lino's meeting place. In this version, Oscar sets his plan into motion, revealing to Lino that he's had Lenny order a giant ship to aim guns at all the sharks in the world. When Lino begs him not to, Oscar refuses and blows them all up aside from Lenny and Lino. Lino ends up trapped and forced to watch Oscar gloat about being a real Sharkslayer, and Oscar proceeds to leave the two sharks to die in his trap. Having killed every shark on Earth, Oscar then becomes governor, solidifying his FaceHeel Turn into a Villain Protagonist.
- Adaptational Jerkass: Either by taking scenes out of context, splicing words, or adding or removing the word 'not' in sentences, any speaking character (and non-speaking character) can be rude, obnoxious, and/or have Brutal Honesty.
- Qui-Gon Jinn is an All-Loving Hero in canon, but the The Phantom Menace videos often have him contradict and insult others, especially Anakin, out of spite, and shows signs of being a Dirty Old Man.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man is often a victim of this due to him being Not Himself in the third movie. "Fix this damn door!" is a common Catchphrase in these videos.
- Adaptational Villainy: Aside from acting like more of a jerk, some characters are portrayed as mass-murderers.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man is often presented as killing Ben Parker (originally shot by Flint Marco) and/or Norman Osborn (originally killed himself accidentally), having Lack of Empathy (Spider-Man Wants Pizza Time makes him eating a hot dog while watching a disaster a Running Gag), slapping his girlfriend for petty reasons, and attempting, and sometimes even succeeding, to killing his best friend.
- Anakin Hates Obi-Wan has Anakin kill Obi-Wan over a couple of insults, and showing no guilt afterwards. Later on, Anakin chops off Mace Windu's hand for not granting him the rank of Master.
- Adaptational Wimp: Characters that can hold their own during a fight often get defeated by just about anything, even a common mook.
- Canonly, Qui-Gon Jinn is a highly experienced, if rebellious, Jedi Master, and was able to hold his own against Darth Maul, who wields a double-bladed lightsaber, with a regular lightsaber. In the video's featuring Qui-Gon, he fails to notice events that are happening right in front of him, and dies in several scenes.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man, while not without his mistakes in the original movies, is a Failure Hero that gets bullied by everyone that he meets. He's also unable to keep his cool, responding to any inconvenience with a Big "NO!" or by crying.
- Adaptation Personality Change: Uses at least 90% of them.
- Anyone Can Die: No one is safe from dying if the creator is feeling especially sadistic. Though everyone is usually fine in the next scene.
- April Fools: Many poopers create special poops to be uploaded on April 1st, either individually or as part of a collaboration, which are intentionally made in a Stylistic Suck fashion, reminiscent of the poops of 2004-2007 when the art was new to mainstream.
- Arc Words: "JoJ" and "sus."
Luisito: Question number unu: what's the most RAR?note
- YTPH also has "RAR", as in WinRAR, because that word can be easily spliced out of the common Spanish word "raro" (strange). For example, from this YTPH of the second 2018 Mexican presidential debate:
- Author Appeal: Many poopers reuse certain source footage. For instance, one pooper may focus mainly on Billy Mays material, one on CD-i cutscenes, etc. Many users have focused on Michael Rosen poops.
- Beat: Somewhat common in poops, undoubtedly used to show that a character is either Too Dumb to Live or Comically Missing the Point. Here's an example from Link Discovers Ganon's Least Favorite Color:Gwonam: It is written that only Link can defeat Ganon and Link is in space.
The King: We're going to be under attack by the evil forces of Ganon!
Gwonam: Now you finally get it.
Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Bass?
- And in "Vegeta Gives Away Bees":
Bass: Called me?
Bass: YOU MUST DIE!
- Berserk Button: Naturally, what will piss off a character in a YTP depends on the pooper, but there are some things that will be a Berserk Button for a character no matter whose YTP they're in. For starters, whenever someone messes with The King's dinner, it never ends well for them.
- Big Damn Heroes: You wouldn't think that YouTube Poops would have something like it, but in "- Gwonam The Extortionist throws King Harkinian into Financial Chaos", it's Ganon that pulls this off. It's followed with a Badass Boast.Ganon: I will make your face DIE.
Gwonam: My face...
Ganon: Your face.
Gwonam: ...will die.
Ganon: Will die.
- Black Comedy: Quite commonly.
- "Billy Mays - Suicide Putty"
- Also many of EmperorLemon's and Cartoonlover98's poops.
- An early Dr. Rabbit YTP has the Challenger explosion in it.
- A Hotel Mario poop has Luigi kicking the World Trade Center.
- A YouTube Poop by Mario R consists of video from a project the Columbine shooters submitted for school - edited with the Super Mario World theme over it so it seems they're rapping to it. A few other videos use various footage of them as well.
- Mad Mothz's "Offensive Collab" is a poop where people deliberately tried to be as dark as possible.
- Blipvert: This poop contains an example from 1:33 to 1:36.
- Butt-Monkey: Considering the nature of YouTube Poop, everybody has been this trope at least once, but there are some characters who appear in YouTube Poop almost exclusively as a Butt-Monkey. Duke Onkled from The Legend of Zelda CD-i Games is a notable example, partly because he was already a Dirty Coward in the game. Luigi from The Super Mario World cartoon is another, partly because of the "Mama Luigi" episode, which had Yoshi thinking Luigi was his mama, and Mario laughing at this.
- Cast Full of Gay: Occasionally. For example, the King of the Hill collabs have dialogue that suggests that the men of Arlen do little else than exchange sexual favours with each other. Hank seems to be omnisexual (with Peggy seemingly being the only exception) but it's hard to tell with anyone else.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase: Several YTPs have titles like this such as Princess Celestia and the Quest for a Good Laxitive or Michael Rosen and the Plumspiracy.
- Cloud Cuckoo Land: The ostensible setting of most poops.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Often, some characters will do bizarre, random things or spout absolute nonsense due to Rule of Funny.
- CheesePieWithChips's YTP's portray Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May (mainly in their Top Gear days) as a trio example of this trope, with them frequently spouting nonsense. This to the point where in Michael Rosen Drives The Reasonably Priced Car, Michael Rosen gives a confused response to Jeremy asking him if he's ever been naked in a film.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In the more vulgar varieties of YTP.Twilight Sparkle: Oh, Spike, you compulsive masturbating faggot. We don't have time for your bullshit.
Spike: Come on, Twilight!
Twilight Sparkle: No, Spike. What the fucking shit is wrong with you?
- In Zoobomafoo is a Dinosaur, Zoboo repeatedly launches these when he hits the wall with a hammer.
- Comically Missing the Point: In many instances. For example, take any scene, and zoom in on some person or object in the background or off to the side, and make a big deal of it. Another great example is how important the wheeze is from the line "That's 'Mama Luigi' to you, Mario! *wheeze*"—important enough that commenters will observe when it is missing. This may also be used to point out Off-Model moments.
- Continuity Nod: Happens rarely, but some poopers do reference events in previous poops.
- Crapsaccharine World: Due to the nature of YouTube Poops, this usually happens to the setting that they take place in. A notable victim of this trope is Hyrule, which is often portrayed as a seemingly stable kingdom but ruled by a tyrannical Manchild and his often depraved royal servants. Recently, Equestria is also getting this treatment in poops, not really helped by the fact that the Princess which rules over it has been dubbed "Trollestia" by the fans of the actual show.
- Creator Cameo: While it's generally frowned upon to use one's own voice in their poops, some poopers like to insert themselves in their poops, often times through Author Avatar. Usually, this is used as a means of Self-Deprecation or just to portray what went through the pooper's head during the creation process.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as common of an archtype as you would think, as most characters in YTP tend to ignore the "deadpan" part and outright snark or insult another character. As a result, those who appear in vids almost exclusively as one are usually such in canon, such as Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya and Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Denser and Wackier: By their very nature, YouTube Poops are often edited in a way to be much crazier than the sources used.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Many poops have a character repeat themselves. "You were the Minister of Treasury? I was the Minister of Treasury twice indeed. I was two times the Minister of Treasury, had the chance of being the Minister of Treasury twice, and when I was the Minister of Treasury..."
- Depending on the Writer: A result of Adaptation Personality Change. Some characters can go from being a Jerkass in one poop to The Ditz or a Reality Warper in others.
- Depraved Bisexual: An exceptionally common Adaptation Personality Change, especially in poops that focus the CD-i Zelda games.
- Deranged Animation: Madanonymous and poopers like him make these.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Thanks to Rule of Funny, if someone says something that can even romotely qualify as an insult, the viction is certain to snap.
- Downer Ending: Despite all of the YTPs being funny in some way, some of them do end in some sort of sad, or at least bittersweet, manner. However, other unhappy endings are played for laughs.
- Drop the Cow: A popular way to end YTPs, especially the Everything Explodes Ending subtrope.
- Everyone Is Gay: Happens a lot. The King's Secret is a good example.
- Evil Is Petty: In Big Bird Brings Death To Sesame Street, Big Bird decides to murder the other residents of Sesame Street simply because he is tired of the winter season. Presumably to avoid being caught by the authorities, he disguises his weapons as pretty flowers.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Many YTPs have titles this easily applies to, often because there isn't much to describe. This applies especially often to titles of the form "X does Y for Z minutes." (Sometimes with an added note about fitting or unfitting music played.) This would be an example.
- Flanderization: If a character did or said something silly once, you can guarantee that their characterization will be tied almost entirely to it. Some commonly used examples in the Spider-Man Trilogy include Peter Parker/Spider-Man saying "Pizza time!" and breaking his back, Harry Osborn saying "Nobel Prize!" and slapping Peter, Dr. Otto Octavius/Doctor Octopus declaring "I'm gonna blow up the city", and Eddie Brock/Venom saying "(Give me some of that) web action!".
- Forced Meme: The ratio of genuine memes to forced memes in the YTP community is probably greater than 1:10.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Some poopers will insert bits of text (usually messages but sometimes humorous text) that are only visible by pausing the video.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": It's a staple of most YTP in general, but especially of the "this video will be flagged" variety.
- Ice-Cream Koan: Some of the more comprehensible sentence-mixed nonsense could be interpreted as this. Take, for instance, this video:"There are no dames like a book
And nothing looks like a book
There are no drinks like a book
And nothing thinks like a drink"
- Indestructibility Montage: "Billy Mays Sells Everything and Nothing" shows multiple clips of Billy Mays hitting numerous objects in order to show that he cannot be stopped and will hunt you down if you don't buy his products."Why am I smashing my hand with this hammer? Why am I smashing my car with this hammer? Why am I smashing my table with this beautiful wood? Why am I smashing this 6000 pound car with the bug bazooka? To show you how I'm going to smash you, your family, and even your dog if you don't pay a fortune to me for whatever I'm selling."
- Interrupting Meme: Some poops replace random nouns with "SPAGHETTI" or "PINGAS". They're not very good.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Runs on 100% nonsensoleum. How much this is true can vary from poop to poop, as some actually attempt to tell a coherent story of sorts, others are simply to make the viewer say, "What did I just watch?"
- Kill Them All: A common ending.
- Large Ham: Lots of characters, notably King Harkinian, Link, Gwonam, Ganon, Morshu, I. M. Meen, King Leonidas, Vegeta, Goku, Nappa, Mario, Luigi, King Koopa, Yoshi, George the Volcano, Tyrannosaurus Alan, Dr. Rabbit, Wario, Sonic, Dr. Robotnik, Scratch, Grounder, and Zim. Many of them were already large hams in the source material, but YTPs turn it up a notch sometimes.
- Lighter and Softer: Some veteran poopers have made family-friendly poops either for fun or for a collab, such as cs188's "Steve Ballmer Sells Clean Windows". Other poopers, such as DaThings1, seem to be able to build their entire repertoire on keeping their material clean in a usually vulgar genre.
- Manipulative Editing: One of the premises of YouTube Poop. Example: SENT-ence MIX-ing with ROBOTNIK is SOOO FCK-ing EA-zy! Why are YOU PEE-ple SOOO im-PRESSED BYE it? An sufficiently skilled YouTube Pooper can let the characters say, what he wants.
Ricardo Anaya: The question is: what size is the dick that-noteJosé Antonio Meade: I've had it with your bullshit, motherfucker!note
- YTPH are particularly fond of it — because Spanish phonetics and syllables are relatively simple, it is much easier to mix syllables into a sentence in Spanish than it is in English. If you know Spanish, here we have an exchange between the otherwise highly educated and proper-speaking Mexican presidential candidates Ricardo Anaya and José Antonio Meade on a YTP made out of the first 2018 presidential debate:
- Mondegreen: Often invoked to make characters sound as if they are saying something obscene. Robotnik's "Snoo-PINGAS usual, I see" is probably one of the most famous.
- Morton's Fork: "You must die! ...Or else you will die!" is a popular Ganon splice.
- The Movie: Many have been made. There's one for the Tails Doll; it's so long it needs 9 parts.
- Narm: The biggest source of entertainment in YouTube Poop.
- Never Trust a Title: It's common for a title to not actually describe the video that well. It might only describe a one-off joke in the video, if it even matches the video at all.
- One-Man Army: King Harkinian takes on the entire cast of the Zelda CDI games and wins in King Dinnerem
- Overly Long Gag: "X does Y for Z minutes"
- Also, some poops have jokes going on for a while, and some people tend to get bored/annoyed and just watch something else.
- Overused Running Gag: Spadinner memes, like "spaghetti", "dinner", "pingas", and "WTF boom". Professional poopers hardly use these at all, but these spadinner memes can be played with and can still be funny if done right.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A common interpretation of King Harkinian, who is shown doing awesome things from watching TV to traveling to Africa, rather than acting like a proper king. If his authority is used as a plot point, he's most likely abusing it for petty purposes.
- Punny Name: The Hand Before Time, doubles as a parody.
- Random Events Plot: Happens in many - in fact, most - poops.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Parodied with "Frustrated Sonic Insults the Kids".
- Refuge in Audacity: The medium as a whole is often known for manipulating footage to create high amounts of vulgar humor.
- Rewind Gag: A frequent gag.
- The Rule of First Adopters: Averted. As much as poops revel in Vulgar Humor, porn has not been an important part of the foundation of YouTube Poop, and - aside from the occasional Freeze-Frame Bonus - is hardly ever used at all. The first adopters in this case are trolls that have found inventive ways to confuse and annoy audiences; this also goes for trap videos and ear rape.
- Sadly Mythtaken: Played for Laughs in a plethora of videos parodying the animated segment of the anti-Mormon propaganda film "The God Makers". This video alone contains, among other things, King Harkanian being head of the Mormon Gods, Joseph Smith being Jesus and Lucifer's brother, and the angels that joined Lucifer being punished by being born into Mormon families.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Cookie Monster does this repeatedly in YouTube Poop - Kermit trolls Cookie Monster.
- Sensory Abuse: Quite a few, known as "ear rape" poops. If you see a comment that says "RIP headphone users", watch out.
- Servile Snarker: Gwonam and Gnorris are usually portrayed as such in YTPs, often insulting The King and IM Meen for just about everything they do.
- Shout-Out: You'd be hard-pressed to find a poop that doesn't have at least one. More often than not, they just amount to simple Jump Cuts to the respective clips, but sometimes, the references are more subtle.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror: Ever since OrpheusFTW and LinkOnDrugs came into the YTP scene, YTPs have started dipping deeper and deeper into horror.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: "X does Y while I play unfitting music"
- The Stinger: These were used for practical reasons back when YouTube would sometimes cut off the last few seconds of a video after it was uploaded, with "cutoff prevention" often used as a caption. These days that's not a problem anymore, but a poop may still have a stinger for comedic effect.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Common in many poops.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: You Tube Poop Music Video, or YTPMV, where a source is remixed to the melody of a song (or less commonly, a new song made by the creator).
- Subverted Kids Show: While kids' shows aren't the only thing used in YTP, they are one of the main things in it, and the comedic effect of editing things to sound vulgar is a lot more noticeable when the source material itself is for children. This is taken Up to Eleven by YTPs of Edutainment shows like "Dr. Rabbit's World Tour."
- "Sonic learns how to die" encourages kids that someone trying to touch them is good, their teacher can touch them, and gives a suicide tutorial to them.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Just raising the clip's volume level can turn any line into this. Usually paired with Rant-Inducing Slight and/or Sensory Abuse.
- Surreal Humor: It's a safe bet to say that over 80% of YTPs humor comes from bizzare non-sequiter lines and moments. On the flip side.
- Surreal Horror: Many many YTPs have creepy moments that play out like bad trips and fever dreams.
- Straight Man: Characters that play this role in their respective works are also played as such in poops. Common examples include Zelda, Hank Hill, and any interpretation of Mario not voiced by Charles Martinet.
- There Are No Girls on the Internet: To this day people will get very surprised if a YTP maker turns out to be female. Prominent female YTPers include BaconatedGrapefruits, Igiulamam, MechaWeegee91, AwfulFawfultheFalafe, CombuskenIsAwesome, jallerbo, and Stegblob.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Almost every regular YouTube Poop character has been killed at least once.
- Possibly the best example is Harrybo's Grandad in Michael Rosen poops, considering his only appearance was about his death and the two dealing with it, making him a real character made this inevitable.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Or more accurately, memetic favorite food; various major YTP characters have foods they are associated with because of lines from source material. For example, Luigi is associated with spaghetti and the bagel, Mario is associated with toast, Sonic with chili dogs, and the King with dinner.Luigi: I hope she made lots of spaghetti!
- Trolling: Used to be used for it, but most are mainly just for entertainment now.
- Uncancelled: Quite a few YTPers had "retirements" that didn't stick. Examples: Walrusguy, mark3611, RootNegativeSixteen, and AReallyAwesomeGuy117.
- Unreadably Fast Text: A favorite technique of a lot of Poopers, sneaking a hidden message that you need to pause at the right moment to read.
- Voice Clip Song: The more advanced YTPMV's are this, if they're not just Stupid Statement Dance Mixes.
- Voice of the Legion: A.k.a. "G Major", this is often used to make someone/something sound demonic. Sometimes appears in entire videos and even other YTPs!
- Vulgar Humor: As the innocence and/or solemnity of the source material increases, the probability of vulgarity approaches 1.
- This is why the 2018 Mexican presidential debates were basically what made Hispanic poops popular — subverting such an otherwise solemn event through YTP was the perfect way to tap on the extreme edge of Mexican humor.
- Word-Salad Humor: Often invoked by playing a clip backwards, then using captions to indicate what the reversed speech sounds like. Other times, you get things like "You can put cheese up my ass with the flick of a switch!"
- World of Chaos: What most, if not all, poops with any semblance of a plotline take place in. And really, just about every poop that doesn't too.
- World of Jerkass: Depending on the video, every character shown could be portrayed as crass individuals who speak entirely in insults and act apathetically towards disaster.
- The Dreaded: Copyright strikes and especially channel terminations.
- Guide Dang It!: Certain things to know about video editing that are very important, but poopers wouldn't know about until well after they started (if at all), like disabling ghosting in Sony Vegas or getting the highest quality source material possible.
- The Joy of X: Some poops use variations of a certain phrase for their own titles, such as "[character]'s Sexy Suspender Striptease".
- No Fourth Wall: Especially prevalent in tennis matches, as they're as much about the communication between participants as they are about the videos themselves. This isn't as commonly seen from poopers that treat their videos as standalone works.
- Sturgeon's Law: There sure are a lot of amateurs out there and most aren't very good at it. For every clever sentence mixing video, there are ten others using outdated memes and repeating a clip at varying speeds for seven seconds. The good poops, however, are worth dying for. Most agree that YouTube Poop in general has gotten better over the years (the worst quality poops tend to be from the 2006-2008 years, though you can still find good poops from then and bad ones from more recent years).
- Technician vs. Performer: Despite YouTube Poop being a dadaist artform, there's a wide variation of how poopers interpret and practice the genre. Technicians like MoBrosStudios observe "poop theory" and meticulously edit their work; performers like dew express a nihilistic perspective of the genre ("There are no bad poops") and go all out with their source material. Both sides are perfectly valid, and play an important role in how one creates their work.
- That Came Out Wrong: Attention is often drawn to it through videos that take lines out of context to make them sound dirty.
- Word Salad Title: The titles are usually nonsensical and bizarre.
- CUTOFF PREVENTION