The Last Lamia is a 2D fantasy animation by web-based independent company NathPro Studios, created by Ashton Mesmer. It began airing in early 2017.
The Last Lamia tells the story of Jason Alburn, a young man struggling to survive in a world controlled by the vile Avatech, who goes on an adventure to discover the secret behind the mythical, presumed extinct species of the Lamia. Upon arriving on their mysterious island, he finds that they are not extinct; a lone surviving Lamia named Amali who wants to eat Jason. However, he strikes a deal with the snake-woman that if he can prove humans are not as bad as she thinks within a month's time, she'll let him go. The two share adventures on the magical island and an unexpected romance even begins to form, though the threat of Avatech grows stronger as the ruthless assassin known as the Advocate tracks them down.
Spoilers are unmarked. Read at your own risk.
Tropes presented in the series:
- And I Must Scream: Many people, including Jason's friend Brec, are mutated into grotesque monsters in constant agony that can do nothing but obey their creator.
- Brainwashed: A recurring theme in the series:
- Lamias possess an inherent ability to hypnotize and brainwash other creatures, which they are not afraid to use.
- The Spiral Cave, which brainwashes those within to succumb to their emotions and instincts.
- The Advocate seems to posses a hypnotic eye himself, which allows him to mind control people into following his orders.
- Character Title: Amali is the titular last Lamia.
- Deal with the Devil: Avatech forms a Faustian deal with the Lamias, giving them resources in exchange for living among them and studying them, when really Dr. Erswick is kidnapping them and torturously experimenting on them.
- Driven to Suicide: A young woman is mind controlled by the Advocate into shooting herself.
- Electric Torture: Dr. Erswick not only tortures, but kills many Lamias ans well as Xander with a electric shocks.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Dr. Theodore Erswick performs painful experiments fusing human DNA with Lamia DNA, hoping for it to mutate the subject into a higher level of evolution, though it usually does the opposite.
- Genocide Backfire: Downplayed; Avatech manages to kill all of the Lamias except for one, the titular Last Lamia, Amali. Amali, as a result, despises humans and tries to kill any she comes across on the spot as revenge, though she has yet to get back at Avatech itself.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Jason allows himself to be almost killed by a man-eating plant in order to save Amali's life.
- Hypnotic Eyes:
- All Lamias possess this power, able to make their eyes spiral with flurries of color to hypnotize others.
- The Advocate seems to possess one of these as well; a red, glowing eye concealed underneath his visor that he uses to mind control a woman into killing herself.
- Interspecies Romance: Jason, a human, and Amali, a Lamia, slowly but surely begin to care for each other and eventually fall in love.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The Advocate, one of Jason's archenemies, is reveled to actually be his father, Darius Albarn.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Theodore Erswick is an immoral and sadistic scientist that performs torturous experiments on innocent people, creating mutated monsters.
- The Sociopath: Dr. Theodore Erswick
- Snake People: The Lamia species are exactly that; half woman, half snake.