The Carl Chronicles is a bizarre series of short videos created by the Hobo Bros. While playing around with Nick Toon Twister 3D, a 2003 video-making software for kids starring Nicktoons characters, Luke and Kevin started to create a twisted storyline about Carl Wheezer (from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius) gaining the power to defeat Tommy Pickles (from Rugrats).
The videos were released in the form of Lets Plays of Luke and Kevin screwing around with the software to make these videos, before playing the final product at the end of the video. On March 26, 2018, when the final episode was uploaded, they also uploaded a video of all the Carl Chronicles videos cut together.
Tropes found in The Carl Chronicles include:
- all lowercase letters: Luke writes the titles and credits in this style.
- Big Bad: Tommy Pickles, who wants to destroy Carl.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first episode focuses more on Spongebob characters, with Carl just being there. This was before the Hobo Bros decided to turn it into a whole series about him, of course.
- Enfante Terrible: Tommy Pickles, who is a baby, is depicted as a villain with supernatural powers.
- Evil Laugh: Luke uses one of Tommy's pre-recorded sounds, a laugh that was supposed to sound innocent, for this purpose. Kevin comments that the laugh really does sound creepy.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Kevin gives Tommy a deep, demonic-sounding voice.
- Stylistic Suck: The series is made with an outdated, very limited software for kids, and that's one of the things that makes it hilarious.
- Whole Plot Reference: Played for Laughs. As the series goes on, Luke and Kevin make the plot more and more of a parody of Dragon Ball Z