The Acorn Princess is a short animated film released in 2020 by Tough Nut Studios.
The film follows The Acorn Princess, Cornelia, and her soon to be fiancé and friend, Flower Prince. Although they really like each other, they're both in love with other people, with Cornelia being in love with a knight called Nutalia.
Has nothing to do with Sally Acorn.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Although the people from the Acorn Kingdom seem to have rather normal skin colors, Flower Prince has pink skin, as well as the people from his kingdom, and Beetle has purple skin.
- Big Damn Kiss: The Flower Prince and Beetle have a passionate kiss at their wedding.
- Bookends: The story begins with Flower Prince telling Cornelia to sweep Nutalia off her feet. The ending has Cornelia telling Flower Prince to do the same on his wedding to Beetle.
- Chick Magnet: The Flower Prince has a lot of female admirers.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Beetle may look intimidating, but he only pretended to be villainous.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Beetle made his voice deep while "attacking" the wedding.
- Foreshadowing: At the start of the short, Beetle in his beetle form grabs a flower and offers it to Flower Prince. Also, Flower Prince hides Beetle under his cape when King Oak shows up.
- Gayngst: It's not explicitly stated but it's heavily implied that the reason Cornelia didn't tell her father about being gay was because she feared he wouldn't accept her. Thankfully, she turns out to be wrong.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Beetle pretends to attack the wedding to keep Flower Prince and Cornelia from getting married. He nearly got killed for his actions.
- Innocently Insensitive: Cornelia's father mentions how much Flower Prince and Cornelia make a great couple...even though neither one is romantically interested in the other.
- Insecure Love Interest: Cornelia is in love with Nutalia but thinks she's not as cool as the other girl.
- Interspecies Romance: The Flower Prince and Beetle are in a romantic relationship and marry by the end.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Cornelia, before she, Flower Prince, and Beetle fly off.
- MasculineFeminine Gay Couple: The film follows two gay couples—the titular princess and her knight Nutalia, and the Flower Prince and his lover Beetle. Nutalia and Beetle are the more masuline of the pair, the former being a coolheaded and dashing figure while Beetle is muscular and boisterous, while Acorn and Flower are more softspoken and sensitive.
- Maybe Ever After: The ending implies that Cornelia and Nutalia will begin a romance.
- Mistaken for Romance: While trying to encourage Cornelia, the Flower Prince extends a flower to her, which King Oak mistakes for a romantic gesture.
- No Name Given: The Flower Prince and Beetle's names aren't revealed, unless Beetle is his name.
- Punny Name: All Members of the Acorn Kingdom have those, Cornelia refers to acorns, Nutalia refers to nuts and King Oak refers to Oaks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted with Beetle, who's not evil at all.
- Rewatch Bonus: How coordinated the Flower Prince and Beetle's fight appeared.Cornelia: (to Beetle) Your acting was horrible!
- Shipper on Deck: The Flower Prince frequently encourages Cornelia to "sweep Nutalia off her feet". Cornelia supports the Flower Prince and Beetle's relationship in return, while maybe a little envious due to her shyness around Nutalia.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Beetle can change forms between his human form and his beetle form.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The Flower Prince has pink hair.