Rocket and Groot find themselves in need of a new ship on account of their current one falling apart on them. While at a junkyard Rocket finds a brand new ship on sale. The problem is that they don't have any credits to even be able to buy it.
As such, the duo take on various jobs in an effort to get the money needed.
Rocket & Groot provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The AI of the new ship won't allow Rocket and Groot to utilize the way they choose. In fact, it ridicules them on everything they do, including things that don't relate to it. Its nagging is enough to get Rocket and Groot to go back to the junkyard for a refund.
- Darkhorse Victory: In part 4, Rocket enters a space race. Before the race begins, Rocket empties out the ship of anything that could slow him down. This includes Groot, who he tricks into an escape pod. Throughout the race Rocket is neck-and-neck with Blackjack O'hare. When the two get close to the finish line, Groot's escape pod smashes them both and crosses, making Groot the winner.
- Et Tu, Brute?: While searching for bounties one last time, Rocket finds a bounty on Groot's head that is worth the remaining amount of credits they need. Noticing this, Rocket immediately brings him in. Subverted as Rocket sets up an escape for Groot allowing them to reunite and have the money they need to buy a ship.
- Honest John's Dealership: The salesman whom Rocket and Groot buy the new ship from shows just how shady his dealing methods are. The moment Rocket and Groot have the money to buy the ship, he tells them that the price increased, prompting them to trade their old ship for it. Then they find that the new ship is far too demanding for them to tolerate, so they go back for a refund only to be told that all sales are final and that their old ship is a one-of-a-kind model. He then gives them their old ship back in exchange for the new ship and a helmet that Groot really liked. The old ship breaks down on them in the middle of space.
- "Mission: Impossible" Cable Drop: In part 9, Rocket does one of these, through a vertical Laser Hallway, using one of Groot's roots.
- Name and Name: Rocket & Groot.
- "Oh, Crap!" Smile: Groot can only give Rocket a nervous smirk when the two find out that Groot forced Rocket to take a bath for no reason.
- Pest Episode: In the episode "It's The Little Things", while Groot is out searching for parts for their ship, Rocket finds that a rat has boarded their ship and makes many attempts to get rid of the rodent which ends up causing more damages to the ship. The moment Groot walks back on board carrying a bunch of stuff, the rodent passes out at the site of him, which Groot responds by picking the rat up and throwing him out.
- The Pig-Pen: In the third part, Rocket establishes that he hasn't taken a bath in six years with no intention of starting after being refused entry into a facility because of personal hygiene. Groot then forces Rocket to take a bath. Unfortunately, the guy was actually referring to Groot.
- Short Cuts Make Long Delays: When preparing to go to a restaurant, Groot turns on a GPS. Rocket however declares he knows a short cut. In the end, Rocket ends up going through the same black hole as when he started trying to get to the restaurant and they don't make it to the restaurant in time before it closes.
- Spot the Impostor: When chasing after a shapeshifter, their target turns into Rocket. Unable to tell the two apart, Groot grabs them both and questions them. The first Rocket tells him how much he cares for Groot, while the second one angrily demands Groot to let him out immediately. Groot figures out the real one quickly.
- Tempting Fate: When looking for bounties, Rocket finds a bounty for a creature worth a million credits and both he and Groot find the creature's profile adorable. This prompts Rocket to say that the bounty will be easy to nab. He couldn't be more wrong.