- Abusive Parents: In a complete 180 from the original character's portrayal, Layton is this to Luke and Flora.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Flora walks in on Professor Layton seemingly preparing for this.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: The Layton household. Hershel is an abusive adoptive father (with an extremely tragic past, if we take the original Layton's backstory as canon), who was recently diagnosed with brain cancer. Luke's biological parents were murdered by Layton, as he claims. And most of Flora's appearances show her quietly shivering in fear of whatever's happening between Layton, Luke, and/or herself.
- Black Comedy: The entire basis of the series.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Seeing as the entire series is full of Black Comedy, Layton's abuse of Luke and Flora is this.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Don Paolo can't seem to not say these, and without any context whatsoever.Don Paolo: C'mere, sign this paper. I didn't rob this place. Here, sign this paper. Pedophile, paper, what-why do they sound so alike!? I don't rape kids, but they sound so similar!
- Verbal Tic: Most of Luke's lines could be considered this.
- "I'm 42!"