Level UP is a YouTube channel that focuses on humorous video game-based animations, particularly Super Mario Bros. and Pokémon, as well as other games. Some videos are short and standalone, while others are longer and have a sense of continuity.
Hallmarks of the channel include custom sprite animations, a focus on video game logic and crossovers between characters and genres, and a recurring Goomba and Koopa, as well as Freeze Frame Bonuses and minigames. Level UP is also affiliated with Hat-Loving Gamer, and is part of Team Level UP.
The channel can be found here.
These videos contain examples of:
- Actionized Adaptation: Red's Boulder Badge Calamity imagines the Pokemon world as having lethal obstacle courses to get a badge, with Red having to traverse pits, hostile Pokemon, and more.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: When Mario touches a Colossal Mushroom he grows so big he straddles the planet.
- Audience Participation: The one million subscribers video was a collaboration with fans, using many of their suggestions in the video.
- Author Appeal: Some videos feature Ditto to some extent.
- The Bad Guy Wins:
- Mario Party Mayhem has Wario and Waluigi beat Mario and Luigi in a mini-game.
- If Fighting Bowser Had An Impossible Mode 2 has Bowser defeat Mario on every single life.
- A good deal of the shorts involving Baldi have him winning in the end. Averted in the Sonic short, where Tails is able to solve the impossible question and calm him down.
- Mario fails to defeat the Goombas in the Giant Goomba Maze, letting them continue their revolution unopposed.
- Body Horror: One of the Cursed Mushroom effects has Mario's body fall apart pixel by pixel, while another turns him into a block. Similarly, Luigi getting the Weird Mushroom allows him to fold himself and stretch to uncomfortably long lengths.
- Butt-Monkey: Toads, Goombas, and Waluigi are often on the receiving end of comic mistreatment, and even when Waluigi wins he still tends to get hurt somehow.
- Christmas Episode: Some shorts revolve around characters celebrating holidays, like Halloween, Easter, or Christmas.
- The Dog Bites Back: The Goomba Revolution has Goombas overthrow Bowser and invade other games, starting with Pac-Man.
- Down to the Last Play: Maze levels and other challenges usually have Mario win on his very last life.
- Downer Ending: Mario fails to clear the Death Trap Mayhem, getting a Game Over right before reaching the flag.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Earlier videos had more blood as well as a tendency toward violent humor, while later videos have characters die like they do in the games and are more family-friendly.
- Enemy Mine: Bowser and Mario team up in Mario Craft. Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, and Sir Boppington also team up with Ludwig and Roy Koopa of the Koopalings.
- Game-Breaker: In-universe, there's a collection of videos about characters being OP in Super Mario Bros and other games with videos detailing why.
- Halloween Episode: The Mario Goes Trick or Treating series has Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom inhabitants dressed up and getting candy, with special costumes giving Mario powers based on what he's wearing.
- Hero Antagonist: Some shorts feature Mario as the antagonist, such as Here's How Mario can beat the Impossible Mode Bowser shorts, with Bowser losing lives instead of Mario.
- Mundane Made Awesome: This video shows the Mario cast in a game of checkers filled with epic music, strategies, and power-ups.
- Nintendo Hard: Invoked with the If Fighting Bowser Had An Impossible Mode videos, which show ridiculously hard Bowser fights that take all of Mario's skill to overcome.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: Mario vs Bowser's Mega Submarine has Bowser sink Mario's boat and kill him before he even realizes there's a threat. Luckily, a 1-Up revives him and lets him combat Bowser.
- Not Completely Useless: In "Mario's Pokemon Moves Calamity," the near-useless Splash move is ultimately what gets him safely across a lava pit.
- Not So Invincible After All: New Super Luigi Bloopers has the normally unflappable Luigi fail at winning by doing nothing.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: The "A Legit Speedrun" series specializes in this; think of Something About as a sprite animation and you pretty much have it.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: This video transports Luigi, Goombas, and Bowser into outer space, and Luigi still wins by doing absolutely nothing.
- Self-Disposing Villain: Mario eats a bowl of cereal has Bowser trying to overkill Mario in disguise, only to fall victim to his own machinations while Mario is completely oblivious.
- Swapped Roles: Several videos are about characters switching places and roles, like Mario and Bowser and Mario and Peach.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Noted in the Among Us crossover video when Potato takes note of Luigi doing nothing but staring menacingly, with Mario saying it's just something he does sometimes.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Smash Kingdom Mayhem has Toad finally win at something by being the last person standing at the end of the fight.
- Timed Mission: The Giant Bob-Omb Maze has Mario having to escape before the fuse ignites and it explodes.
- Villain Protagonist: Some shorts star Bowser or his minions.
- Villains Out Shopping: Bowser passes time waiting for Mario with mundane activities like cooking, painting, playing games, and bouncing on the axe chain.
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: Luigi has this as a trademark power. Other characters, such as Mario or Waluigi, sometimes attempt to copy his success but always fail.