Level UP is a YouTube channel that focuses on humorous video game-based animations, particularly Super Mario Bros. and Pokémon, as well as other games. Some videos are short and standalone, while others are longer and have a sense of continuity.
Hallmarks of the channel include custom sprite animations, a focus on video game logic and crossovers between characters and genres, and a recurring Goomba and Koopa, as well as Freeze Frame Bonuses and minigames. Level UP is also affiliated with Hat-Loving Gamer, and is part of Team Level UP.
The channel can be found here.
These videos contain examples of:
- Actionized Adaptation: Red's Boulder Badge Calamity imagines the Pokemon world as having lethal obstacle courses to get a badge, with Red having to traverse pits, hostile Pokemon, and more.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: When Mario touches a Colossal Mushroom he grows so big he straddles the planet.
- Audience Participation: The one million subscribers video was a collaboration with fans, using many of their suggestions in the video.
- Author Appeal: Some videos feature Ditto to some extent.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Mario Party Mayhem has Wario and Waluigi beat Mario and Luigi in a mini-game.
- Butt-Monkey: Toads, Goombas, and Waluigi are often on the receiving end of comic mistreatment.
- Christmas Episode: Some shorts revolve around characters celebrating holidays, like Halloween, Easter, or Christmas.
- Cliffhanger: Mario's Pokemon Moves Calamity and Red's Boulder Badge Calamity end on hooks for sequels.
- The Dog Bites Back: The Goomba Revolution has Goombas overthrow Bowser and invade other games, starting with Pac-Man.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Earlier videos had more blood as well as a tendency toward violent humor, while later videos have characters die like they do in the games and are more family-friendly.
- Game-Breaker: In-universe, there's a collection of videos about characters being OP in Super Mario Bros and other games with videos detailing why.
- Nintendo Hard: Invoked with the If Fighting Bowser Had An Impossible Mode videos, which show ridiculously hard Bowser fights that take all of Mario's skill to overcome.
- Not Completely Useless: In "Mario's Pokemon Moves Calamity," the near-useless Splash move is ultimately what gets him safely across a lava pit.
- Recycled In Space: This video transports Luigi, Goombas, and Bowser into outer space, and Luigi still wins by doing absolutely nothing.
- Swapped Roles: Several videos are about characters switching places and roles, like Mario and Bowser and Mario and Peach.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Smash Kingdom Mayhem has Toad finally win at something.
- Villain Protagonist: Some shorts star Bowser or his minions.
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: Luigi has this as a trademark power. Other characters, such as Mario or Waluigi, sometimes attempt to copy his success but always fail.