Funny Horsie, as directed by the wonderful mind of Michelle Lyons, is one of Britain's most well-loved, yet obscure children's programmes. The programme takes a rather surreal, and downright bizarre approach to being informational, so much so that every company who produced an episode ended up declining to produce another.
This work provides examples of:
- Credits Gag: Every episode does this, but its often nonsense vaguely related to the content of the episode. And Ken Morse with the Rostrum Camera. (Except on Episode 6, where he's replaced by Ben Dorse because Ken is still on strike)
- Guest Host: After an episode which causes the ITV network to go on strike, episode 6 replaces Funny Horsie with Funny Donkey, who demonstrates spontaneous combustion.
- Mind Screw: While the series itself is always a bit strange, things started getting downright bizarre beginning on Episode 9.
- Opening Narration: Often includes naming the episode number, and saying what Funny Horsie is going to do.
- Precision F-Strike: Episode 5:Narrator: Today, Funny Horsie offers his opinion on the state of modern television.Funny Horsie: ..(Beat) Fucking unions. [cut to a test card]
- Shout-Out: Episode 5 and 6 make reference to the infamous ITV technicians' strike of 1979, caused apparently by said precision F-strike.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Socky the Sock Puppet wants to teach kids about sharing and caring. Yet, the narrator is constantly interrupts him with a reminder that it is in fact, "EPISODE THREE."
- Station Ident/Logo Joke: The production company is different every time; including such ones as Television Southeasternwesternern, Rape Productions (Not to be confused with Rape Vision, a charitable organization), Mrs. Thatcher Productions, Clowns TV Ltd., Bumarse (a parody of Thames), Television Television Television Television Television Vision (a parody of Tyne Tees), and Courtney Love Productions ("I MADE THIS.")
- Subverted Kids' Show: It has covered topics such as homosexuality, communism, and the modern state of the ITV system. How can it not be a kid's show?
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Episode Three's credits:EPISODE THREEAAAAAAAARRRGHEPISODE THREEAAAAAAAARRRGHEPISODE THREEAAAAAAAARRRGH
- Today, Funny Horsie will- YEEEEAAAAASSSSS!!!!