Fred The Monkey is a Web Animation based loosely off of Homestar Runner by JKR. It centers around the title character, Fred the Monkey who Flanderized from The Fool to a Jerkass to someone who's just plain lazy, and Sceb, a semi-evil Space Chicken who once in a blue moon checks his mail.
Other characters include:
- Cloe, an anime-obsessed The Chick and a Genius Ditz, who seems unaware that she brings Sceb down to a nervous wreck.
- Space Chicken (Sceb's brother), resident OCD workaholic who runs the site as a whole. Played as the Straight Man against all the idiocy around him.
- Mr. Deutsch, a partially insane teacher who puts food on the table and loves mathematics with a passion.
- The Fish brothers, Cadberry and Nigel, the former being an annoying know-it-all and the latter actually having good ideas.
- BDBB, the very lazy music director who likes to quote Monty Python.
- Mitch, who shows up once in a while to make a point or to be probed by aliens.
- Clydex. He's a platypus.
A particular part of the website involves Sceb answering questions without, you know, actually answering them.
Some of the cartoons include Easter Eggs, accessible by clicking on something at the end.
This series provides examples of:
- Cannot Spit It Out - Word of jesus (BDDB) says that Clydex says stuff other than "I'm a playtapus" but doesn't because he's too shy.
- Catchphrase - "I'm a platypus", "What the biscuit", "Eee? Pah!"
- Cloudcuckoolander - Fred on occasion, but Sceb tends to have flashbacks more often.
- Grammar Nazi - Sceb, who even showed grammatical corrections in an Easter Egg one time.
- Lastsecondwordswap In the year of the monkey song, after Fred sings "Not the bottle-nose dolphin, not the year of the wicked witch!" to which Sceb replies with "Shut up you son of a bi-scuit!"
- Paper-Thin Disguise - Fred in the most recent re-launch.
- Schedule Slip - Particularly Sceb's fan-mail segment.
- Talking to Himself - JKR does all the voices except arguably the music director.
- Unusual Euphemism - "Biscuit." Kind of a catch-all that Sceb picked at random after being prompted to in one of his emails.
- Too Dumb to Live - Mostly in Fred's eating habits...wood glue, a raw turkey, and even pig's blood.
- Vague Age - Given how many members of the cast are animals, age doesn't come up very often.