Shinji: (horrified) What?!
Kaji: Let me put it this way: some day, you'll learn to appreciate melons.
Evangelion: ReDeath is a 2000 Gag Dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion made by Studio Sokodei. It takes both the series and the movie and somehow boils it down to a half hour Coming of Age parody, which is quite an accomplishment. ReDeath is frequently shown at anime conventions, and remains one of the more popular and quoted fan-parodies of Evangelion out there. It was recently re-released in a ReDux version.
In the film, we follow Loser Protagonist Shinji Ikari, who sets out on his epic quest to discover exactly what this "nookie" thing everyone keeps talking about is, and, most importantly, how he can acquire some of it. Meanwhile, his father, Gendo the Pimp, attempts to bring about The End of the World as We Know It through the use of a horribly-outdated pop song by Prince.
The ReDux version can be viewed here.
This Gag Dub contains examples of:
- The Abridged Series: Well, sort of. The term was not yet invented when it was made, so it is kind of a predecessor.
- The Ahnold: Asuka.
- Also sprach Zarathustra: The first appearance of the SEELE monoliths (in case the reference wasn't already clear).
- Audience Participation Song: Showings of this at anime conventions usually feature the audience clapping along to Gendou's theme and singing along to a video that sets AC/DC's "Big Balls" to Pokémon.
- Big "NO!": Kaji lets one rip after he uses a crowbar to "free himself" from Misato.
- It's actually more of a scream of incomprehensible pain.
- Blatant Lies: Gendo insists that all rumors of him being a pimp are "wild allegations" and he won't respond to them.
- Cool, But InefficientAoba: The power of song has no effect on the target!Gendo: I, uh, know. I just love that song.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Di$ney fails to stop Gendo because they are all busy ogling Ritsuko.
- Go to Your Room!: Gendo tries this on Shinji when he starts asking questions about his plan. It doesn't work.
- Larynx Dissonance: Asuka, who has the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Left the Background Music On: As Gendo enters the Di$ney meeting accompanied by his theme musicBilly Dee Williams (green member): "Man, am I gettin' sick of his theme song!"
- Leitmotif: It's Gendo!
- Shinji, I Am Your Father
- Make-Out Point: According to Misato, a hill overlooking Tokyo-3 is one.
- Memetic Badass: In-Universe. Gendo is portrayed as a Kavorka Man pimp with his own Theme Song.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Di$ney.
- Overly Long Gag: A still frame of Asuka's reaction to Touji's "manhood" set to the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah."
- Pluralses: Misato feels the need to establish that she has "two breasteses".
- Potty Failure: Shinji pees in the entry plug.
- The Power of Rock: NERV attempts to bring down the attacking angel by performing "Bohemian Rhapsody." It doesn't work.
- Shout-Out: Plenty of em...
- Temporal Paradox: Gendo creates one (and causes Second Impact) by playing the song "1999" in the year 2000. And Third Impact by playing it again in 2014.
- Third-Person Person: Keel Lorenz/Bob Dole.Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kinda crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!
- Unwitting Pawn: Kaji to Gendo.Kaji: I found the original CD of Prince's Greatest Hits, so I gave Gendo the disc he needed so I could discover the truth behind his plans.
Misato: But you gave him the disc!
Kaji: Yeah. It was the only way I could get close enough to the truth!
Misato: But you gave him the disc.
Kaji: Aw, crap!
- Volleying Insults
- Wingding Eyes: Kaji gets spiral-eyed at one point in the Redux version.
- You Can't Handle the Parody: Gendo starts reciting the (in)famous lines after Shinji directly asks him what the "nookie" is.