Dork Souls 3 is a series of parodies based on Dark Souls III created by animator Matthew Shezmen.
The series currently consists of the original Dork Souls 3 and its two sequels Seasoning Ash, focusing on the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, and the upcoming Seasoned Knight, which focuses on the Ringed City DLC. The series follows Matthew in his attempt at playing through the game for the first time, and the many wacky misadventures and pop cultural references he comes across.
Matthew's channel can be found here.
Dork Souls 3 can be found here.
Seasoning Ash can be found here.
Seasoned Knight can be found here.
Dork Souls 3 and its sequels provide examples of the following tropes
- Arc Symbol: A spoon, based on the joke that replaces the First Flame with the Pudding of the Lords.
- Badass Normal: Matt survives almost all of Dark Souls 3 without magic, aside from being Unkindled. This was not by choice, mind you. He simply never realized that there was magic in the game.
- Beginner's Luck: Matt defeating the various bosses is purely a matter of accident.
- Brick Joke: The C4 Matt bought from Pump-a-rum is used in the battle against Aldrich.
- Buxom Is Better: Matt is clearly attracted to the Fire Keeper, and her, ahem, "bossom" is quite plentiful.
- Cool Old Guy: Same as in the main game, Slave Knight Gael. Taken further here, since he ends up helping Matt even after being consumed by the Dark Soul.
- Death Montage: He's a casual, what did you expect?
- Didn't Think This Through: Like most players, Matt never considered the consequences of leveling up for free from Yoel.
- Dies Differently in Adaptation: While Gael's cause of death was determined by the player, here he dies in a Heroic Sacrifice against the Nameless King.
- Most of the bosses get this treatment. Iudex Gundyr is smashed by a coffin Matt tricked him into tipping over, Sulyvahn killed himself by smashing into Matt's shield, Aldrich was blown up by some C4 Matt fed him, and the Soul of Cinder was killed by embarrassment when Matt told him the frosted tip look was lame as fuck.
- Exploited Immunity: Matt exploits the fact that his character can't be hurt while opening things.
- Face on a Milk Carton: Solaire's signature helm and armor briefly appear at the epilogue of Seasoned Knight.
- Flat "What": Happens a few times. The first is when he watches the introduction cinematic, which is quite... different.
- Flipping the Bird: A tree does this in the background.
- Gilligan Cut: Matt promises that he won't spend too much time on the Character Creator. Cut to 4 hours later. And another 8... No, 16.
- Grave Humor: The graves in the Cemetery of Ass are marked "Simon Belmont", "Old Memes", "3D movies", "Poise" and "Konami". Also doubles as Take That! to all of them.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Done to Matt by the giant archer.
- Instantly Proven Wrong: Matt assumes Irithyll will be full of ponies, only to immediately run into a couple ghosts.
- During his first trip to Lothric, he declares that he won't be one of those casuals. The following Death Montage shows that he was scorched by the wyvern, eaten by a puss of man and nearly decapitated by a executioner knight
- Meaningful Name: Matt's character started out with the name "I Suck". Considering this was the first time he played the game, it's quite accurate.
- No-Sell: Happens a lot. Notably, Pontiff Sulyvahn can't do jack shit against Matt's shield.
- Parody: Duh.
- Pink Elephants: After downing an entire bottle of Estus.
- Reality Ensues: The sand-like transitions in Dark Souls causes Matt to be covered in sand when he arrives.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Matt tries this from time to time. It rarely works.
- Shout-Out: We gave it its own page.
- Take That!: On the character creation screen, the sliders for "Taxes I Paid Last Year" and "Times Cheated On" can only be taken from "A lot" to "A lot".
- The Curse Rotted Greatwood music was apparently made by a corpse lying on an organ.
- Too Dumb to Live: Some other player Matt saw apparently fell for the classic "Treasure ahead" in front of a cliff message.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Matt ends up like this in Greirat's cell in the Death Montage.
- True Final Boss: The Nameless King serves as the final opponent in Seasoned Knight.
- Your Mom: Matt gets the Abyss Watchers to fight each other by claiming that one of them was "talking trash about your mom".
- Weaksauce Weakness: Wolnir, even more so than in canon. Matt barely touches them with his sword, before both break off.