Ben Rants is an internet rant series created by Ben Tannehill. The series initially debuted on April 10th, 2009 under Ben's PuffyZillaman4 account.
Ben Rants consisted of several different topics in its initial run, such as rants on TV shows, movies, lists of favorite TV shows and movies and occasionally giving out his thoughts on topics (and one singing segment that Ben deeply regrets).
Because Ben couldn't log in on his PuffyZillaman4 account, Ben Rants was put on hiatus for weeks after his infamous rant on The Looney Tunes Show leading to speculation that his videos had ended for good. But Ben created a new channel called Benthelooney and the series resumed on July 26th, 2011 after a month and a half hiatus.
After 90 videos, Ben Rants finally ended production in December of 2011 with very little fanfare, because Ben wanted to retire from ranting and focus on positive videos. Two months later, after a surprisingly large amount of fan requests and Ben Tannehill discovering new topics to talk about, the show was put back into production on February 10, 2012.
Ben later retired Ben T. Looney on 13th December 2013 (although this time because Ben will be too busy pursuing his dreams of being an animator at college) and continued making videos as himself for the sixth and last season. But then he decided to bring back Ben T. Looney one last time until June.
The series officially ended on June 6, 2014- that is, until he brought it back AGAIN in November 2015. He ended the series and retired the Ben T. Looney character for real in June 2016, and Ben began to make videos as himself, mostly featuring him working on various pieces of artwork.
Due to low viewership on his newer videos due to recent controversies, Ben brought the series back from the dead in August 2019 with a new formula, which he described as "not knowing if it's gonna be a positive rant or a negative rant." Although the Ben T. Looney character was brought back as well, it functions more or less like an avatar. In Mid October 2019, due to major confusion, he turned his positive rants back into Ben Salutes videos. In Mid 2020, he announced that he would be going back to making cartoons, with a series titled "Alright Cartoons'', and so Ben Rants has ceased production again.
Watch his videos here, but do note that many of his videos past 2016 are considered Not Safe for Work, mainly due to Ben's obsession with erotic material and as of 2018, contain uncensored profanity. His more family-friendly videos are located on his older account here.
- Animation Age Ghetto: Discussed in Ben's Misc. Rants.
- Anti-Hero: Take a guess.
- Arch-Enemy: His relationship with soccer moms.
- Art Evolution: His "Ben" avatar has gained a considerably more polished appearance over the years. The head was originally drawn with a circle tool.
- Author Avatar: Ben T. Looney, which is stated to be an exaggerated version of Ben Tannehill.
- Berserk Button:
- Shows he hates. And certain people, like Seth MacFarlane (Except for American Dad!) and Adam Sandler.
- When Ben's artist friend Rizeki attempted suicide in June 2018 after getting harassed by trolls, Bens response to the situation and the reasons why Rizeki was trying to kill himself is sure to make you wonder if we've really come that far as a society. Its one of Bens angriest videos, and unlike in his rants when he rages, that video does show that Ben is legitimately ticked off about the situation.
- In his rant on politicians and the U.S. Government, he reveals that anyone who calls him a liberal will get their legs chopped off with a chainsaw.
- He doesn't like people making fun of his fans.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Happens a lot.
- "Welcome back to Ben Rants/Salutes/'s Top 10, and when I was a kid... [insert comment here]."
- Sometimes he says "Welcome back to Ben Rants, and we live in a world where... [insert comment here]" instead.
- In the majority of the Un-Cancelled/revival videos, "Greetings folks, I'm Ben T Looney".
- Neb uses a similar version of this, but with "and in this day and age."
- In the first run, Ben often exclaimed: "What the flubbernugget?!".
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Looney T. Ben as a whole.
- Comically Missing the Point: In his Equestria Girls review:Ben: Applejack! I'm shocked at you. This is a high school. How dare you sell alcohol to minors without bringing silly straws.
- Cluster F-Bomb: A variation of this is seen in his third rant on The Looney Tunes Show, where he makes up as many fake swears as possible without trying to swear after seeing Yosemite Sam's out-of-character persona in one episode.
- Curse Cut Short: Happens every now and then. One example is in his video about Wabbit: A Looney Tunes Production.Ben: So, what am I going to come back on? (Picture of the show is shown) AWWWW, SHI- (A Technical Difficulties card appears after this)
- Darkerand Edgier: From 2016 onwards, with his turn to Rule 34, and although he no longer does this kind of artwork, he still counts as this due to the fact he now says that he now smokes bongs, which is shown in a 2021 video where you can tell hes been on crack.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first few Ben Rants didn't have an Author Avatar on screen and were notably calmer in tone. Before Ben started making rants, he would post videos of his DVD collection, Tom and Jerry title cards, a video showcasing his characters, a Godzilla tribute, and funny pictures with captions to go with them.
- The Eeyore: Negative Nick.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!:
- In his videos before 2016, Ben used fake swears (words that rhyme with their actual meanings) in place of real ones (Ex. spit, truck, witch, etc.) Even more so in the revival. However, within the revival, he didn't mind saying "Gay" or "Jackass".
- From 2015 to 2017, he started using proper swears, with stronger ones being bleeped.
- Averted as of 2018, as he started to uncensor everything.
- Hotter and Sexier: His output once he started drawing Rule 34. YMMV on whether or not it's Fetish Retardant.
- Jaw Drop: This
- Ben T Looney, starting from the 2012 resurrection.
- Neb also constitutes as this (though that's the point).
- Sir Lord Charles Humperdink IV would also qualify.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ben, in the original 2009-2011 run. While in some videos he could get very opinionated and some facts wrong, he mostly dealt with his haters in a polite and mature manner (Much like he did in real life). The original finale "Ben Strikes Back" paints a complete picture that Ben was indeed this.
- Large Ham: A lot of times when he is angry.
- Ben T. Looney can come up with this.
- Neb, however, is an even bigger one, to the point where it seems like all "child" and no "man."
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Negative Nick has broken up with three girls because one nibbled her fingers every Tuesday, one brushed her teeth with her left hand, and one was hit by a bus and the accident screwed up her face.
- Nostalgia Filter: Pre-Cancellation only. This is averted in the revival because Ben goes out of his way to criticize a lot of shows/animes that he grew up with and previously liked.
- Wordof God says that he realized he can't judge shows based on their time period, which is why he scrapped this upon the return of his rants.
- Prank Call: Looney T. Ben pranks calls them in one video.
- Precision F-Strike: Excluding his fake swears, he has relied on this trope starting with the video I Love Art to give his videos a more "realistic" feel after his start on Rule 34 artwork.
- The Pollyanna: When he's not raging.
- Self-Deprecation: In his Top Eleven: Dumbest Soccermom Moments:Ben: Folks when you think of stupid people who do you think of?(Shows picture of George Lucas).Ben: Not bad who else do you think of?(Shows picture of Sarah Palin).Ben: Getting better. Alright, the coup de grace. Who is the stupidest person you can think of?(Shows text saying Benthelooney).
- Spiritual Successor: The Mysterious Mr. Enter is this to Ben Rants's original run, as the styling of his reviews & analysis resemble that of Benthelooney, despite coming out a year after Ben Rants was uncancelled.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one in his second mini-rant video to people who take opinions way too seriously:Ben: There are people out there that are gonna take my previous opinions on Steven Universe and act like I killed their grandparents, then dug up their corpses and ate them. The person will either act like that they're the most tortured person in the world and want sympathy from everybody or they'll either hire the most expensive assassin they can afford to do terrible things to me. Well to people who take opinions seriously I have one thing to say: Look at yourself. Seriously, look at yourself. Are you that damaged by a human doing something that all humans do? Express themselves? I mean honestly, this is something that has been going on before the creation of the internet. It seems that some people get so hurt over the fact that somebody disagrees with them. I'm sure everybody has met somebody like this.
- This Loser Is You: Neb T. Yenool is based on whiny immature pre-teens who follow every fad and can't agree on anything with anyone.
- Negative Nick is based on people who are always in a negative mood who have nothing but bad things to say.
- Sir Lord Charles Humperdink IV is a parody of people who would attempt to act mature but end up coming off as immature themselves.
- Vocal Evolution:
- Ben T Looney's voice started out as relatively calm but eventually progressed into being louder and more aggressive.
- A second voice change happened in 2013 after Ben Rants went on a hiatus (which was the first time since the rants were canceled in 2011) and Ben decided to put a cartoony spin on the character's voice when he got a new microphone.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue:
- Ben's review of Yellow Submarine ended with this, fitting because this video is the Series Finale (where the characters are concerned).
- Neb T. Yenool started paying attention in school and became more sensitive to others. He's still pwning n00bs in his video games, however.
- Looney T. Ben has become a sane man and now works at the St. Louis Zoo.
- Sir Lord Charles Humperdink IV has learned to appreciate art and spends his free time strolling in art museums.
- Negative Nick has become more positive and changed his name to Positive Pete.
- Ben T. Looney tried to audition to be in cartoons and didn't get any parts. However, he fell in love with Jenny E. Wacky and is now married to her.
- I'm Ben T. Looney, and I'm signing out. I'm gonna go seek shelter from Pigs on the Wing.